Bev7o9

Rice after a bypass

Hi, i am having a gastric bypass in 4 days and during a chat with my dietitian i was told rice is one of the hardest things to master post op. I am a massive rice fan, i literally could live of it and i eat chilli & rice weekly. Does anyone have issue with it or tips about eating it as i would hate to have to cut it out, id rather lose chocolate than rice!

Thanks

Bev

I have never been a big rice eater (except for Arborio rice - as in rice pudding).  So for me, it was easy to switch to cauliflower rice.  There are plenty of recipes on the web - this is the one I use from Allrecipes.com:  Paleo Cauliflower Rice

Thanks for the tip, I bought ready made cauliflower rice in a shop once and didn’t like it but I will have a go at making my own

Bev

26 minutes ago, Bev7o9 said:

Thanks for the tip, I bought ready made cauliflower rice in a shop once and didn’t like it but I will have a go at making my own

Bev

Quinoa makes a great alternative to rice and the upside is that it's good cold.

Also:   "One cup of cooked quinoa has about 40 fewer calories than the same amount of white rice, but the real benefit is in the carbohydrates. White rice has almost 15 times more grams of carbohydrates, and quinoa provides 5 more grams of fiber and double the protein.".

As weird as it may sound to you right now, you may lose your love of rice!    My tastes changed after surgery and filling carbs aren’t as comfortable, therefore aren’t as comforting anymore.  You may find the same thing.  I wondered presurgery about how i would tolerate things post surgery and it was wasted worry time bc i don’t prefer the same things anymore.  We used to have rice all of the time.  I think I have had it maybe once in the past 15 months and wondered why i thought I’d miss it...it wasn’t as fabulous as I thought it was back then! 

Edited by CheeringCJ

Rice was one of the biggest no-no's from my doctor- she didn't want her patients to eat it for at least the first year post-op. So I avoided it for a good long while because of that. That's said, now (almost 3 years post-op) I eat rice, in pretty small amounts, on a relatively regular basis (1-2xs a week) without any problem. So, you won't necessarily have to give it up completely, or forever. And in the meantime, like CJ said, your tastes may change post-op any way.

I can only eat like a bite or two of rice. It tends to just feel like I'm clogged up, so it's not comfortable. The same with pasta and bread for me. Those were my go-to carbs all my life - I loooooooooooved them. Now, I can totally go without them without feeling like I'm missing out on anything. My tastes have changed, and as @CheeringCJ said, when comfort food isn't comfortable, you don't seek it out anymore. I just tend to eat things with real flavor, rather than filling carbs. I know this won't sound like what you want to hear, but your relationship with food will change, and allowing it to do so, even encouraging it to do so, is the best way to stay on track post-op. 

A year pre-op, I'd have just about died if someone told me I wouldn't eat pizza anymore. It's not that I can't, though - it's just that I don't really want to. The crust fills me up too much, and it's not a comfort food anymore. I don't feel at all bad about not "getting" to eat it. I can eat it, I just don't care to.

I eat rice with no problems. Only a handful of times. I have had fried rice twice, white with butter and rice in stuffed green peppers. No problem digesting. I waited six months after surgery and I wouldn't want it every week but it can still be in your diet especially if you exercise regularly. Hope this helps. 

Thank to everyone for your reply’s, this time tomorrow i will in surgery.... Few bits of nerves now but mainly excited for the new chapter, I’m already making hiking plans for the summer!

I have never been a big fan of rice.  Now it sits heavy for me.  There is frozen riced cauliflower.  I made a dish for New Years with cheese and chilies and sour cream.  Family liked it.  

I am still a big Mexican food fanatic.  My first food after the liquid phase was refried beans with taco sauce and cheese.  Spice does not bother me as long as it’s not so hot I need something to wash it down with.  

Edited by Cheesehead

Good luck tomorrow.  Hoping for a smooth recovery for you!

You should not have rice until you reach your goal weight, as it gives you carbs with little or no protein.  On the other hand, I am at my goal weight and have and enjoy rice (in moderation) several days a week.  

22 hours ago, Bev7o9 said:

Thank to everyone for your reply’s, this time tomorrow i will in surgery.... Few bits of nerves now but mainly excited for the new chapter, I’m already making hiking plans for the summer!

Thinking of you today Bev - have a safe trip to the losers bench.