Not asking for medical advice.  I am seeing my surgeon on Friday.  Just wondering if anyone has experienced this.  After or during eating or even having a shake, I get severe spasms in my upper stomach that radiates to my right side.  This sounds ridiculous but they feel like contractions.  I am walking the floors and having to stop and hold onto things.  i have tried heat which helped a bit.   I am 9 weeks post op.  This just started 2 days ago.  Now I am afraid to eat.  I wasn't having this kind of problem before.  A typical day is a shake in the morning, a bit of chicken or fish with a mouthful of spinach for lunch or dinner.  Dinner can be a repeat or an egg or some kind of veggie added.  I know I am not getting enough protein but that is another issue.  Do you think it is something I am eating?  I am currently doing a shake as I have not had anything since yesterday lunch and going very slowly.  I feel full after 2 sips.  I am not pushing it.  Any thoughts?

I’ve had similar spasm(y) feelings off and on since surgery, but they usually don’t stop me from eating. Mine are not nearly as severe as yours from the sounds of it.  I’m wondering if your constipation and the meds you’re trying might be causing that to happen. I only say that because I seem to get the spasm things more when I’m really constipated.

You poor thing...I feel so bad for everything you are going through! I wish I could help. I’m glad you are seeing your surgeon, but considering everything you are going through, could you get in to see him sooner? Friday is almost a week from now, my friend. 

This is unrelated, but I see you are from NY too...wondering how close we are to each other ❤️ Hugs and prayers 

Weird!! I have had a similar feeling that I related to a contraction "tightening" feeling!!  Not painful but out of the blue all of a sudden my stomach area will freeze or tightened up?? When I realize it, it passes quickly, but no pain. I thought I was imangining this but now know it is similar to your feeling minus pain? I am nine months out, could it be nerves?  Please follow up here after your dr. visit. 

The only time I've ever had any sensation like that Kim is when a drink or food was colder than room temperature.  

On 1/5/2019 at 6:19 PM, Nana Trish said:

I’ve had similar spasm(y) feelings off and on since surgery, but they usually don’t stop me from eating. Mine are not nearly as severe as yours from the sounds of it.  I’m wondering if your constipation and the meds you’re trying might be causing that to happen. I only say that because I seem to get the spasm things more when I’m really constipated.

You poor thing...I feel so bad for everything you are going through! I wish I could help. I’m glad you are seeing your surgeon, but considering everything you are going through, could you get in to see him sooner? Friday is almost a week from now, my friend. 

This is unrelated, but I see you are from NY too...wondering how close we are to each other ❤️ Hugs and prayers 

Thanks for the response.  Still no luck with the laxatives.  Did another double dose of MOM last night and nothing.  My surgeon only sees patients on Thursday and Friday.  He operates out of 2 hospitals.  Honestly I am not expecting much.  I also hope he has some answers about the GERD.  Still taking 2-3 Protonix a day. On several occasions I needed 4.  I have been popping Tums at work over the last few days.  He told me I should be off all medications within 2 months.  I will be 10 weeks post op on Thursday.    Not eating much the last week.  I got down a shake today.  Lunch didn't go well.  Sipping tea now.  No dinner tonight.  

I am in Westchester county.  About 1 hour north of NYC.  

Edited by Kim M

On 1/6/2019 at 8:51 AM, cinwa said:

The only time I've ever had any sensation like that Kim is when a drink or food was colder than room temperature.  

I only do room temperature.  Strange thing is it wasn't like this at first.  I really can't figure it out.  

50 minutes ago, Kim M said:

I only do room temperature.  Strange thing is it wasn't like this at first.  I really can't figure it out.  

In contrast, I have no problem with cold, warm or hot drinks.  It is amazing how each of our weight loss surgery journeys is different.  

On 1/8/2019 at 7:24 PM, Kim M said:

Thanks for the response.  Still no luck with the laxatives.  Did another double dose of MOM last night and nothing.  My surgeon only sees patients on Thursday and Friday.  He operates out of 2 hospitals.  Honestly I am not expecting much.  I also hope he has some answers about the GERD.  Still taking 2-3 Protonix a day. On several occasions I needed 4.  I have been popping Tums at work over the last few days.  He told me I should be off all medications within 2 months.  I will be 10 weeks post op on Thursday.    Not eating much the last week.  I got down a shake today.  Lunch didn't go well.  Sipping tea now.  No dinner tonight.  

I am in Westchester county.  About 1 hour north of NYC.  

Oh @Kim M...that is just awful, all of it. I’m so sorry.

Wasn’t the GERD the reason you had the revision in the first place? That’s just insane. Just try to keep hydrated the best you can, and keep trying the shakes. I’m praying for you!! 

I truly wish I had other suggestions for the constipation. I can’t imagine having it that bad. And now if you’re not even able to eat, you most certainly won’t be able to go. Gastro doc must have SOME suggestions?!? (((Hugs)))

And...I'm in Washington County, about 3 1/2 hours north of NYC...about 20 minutes from Lake George :) 

Edited by Nana Trish

Big hug, @Kim M. I hope you get some answers and some relief soon! 

Went to my surgeon yesterday.  He does not think the burning is GERD. He suspects that it is the constipation which he said is out of his realm. I told him I had an appointment with the gastro to have a motility test done which he thinks is a start.  He said if the burning continues he wants me to have an endoscopy where they measure the PH balance in my stomach.  I had the revision for the GERD.  That was all he had and see him in 3 months.  I am frustrated, but it was what I expected. 

Well I am stocked up for tonight with laxatives. I just bought smooth move, MOM and ducolax. I am going full force.  Taking them all.  Something has to move.  

The spasms are better. It has been tough and very emotional   I really didn't want the surgery but was told by my gastro and surgeon that not having it was putting me at high risk for developing  serious medical issues.  I am fulled with regret right now and hope this will pass as I feel better.  I am hopeful.  

Side note I have lost 24 pounds. I only last 4 pounds since my last visit.  I thought I would lose more since I am eating so little.  Oh well.  Regain is another topic.  

I thank you all for your support and suggestions.  I know you all get it.  Wishing everyone a year filled with joy and new adventures.