Jlipp

Frustrated

I’m on day 4 post op. Big question...how in the heck does one get 64 ozs of countable fluid to keep you hydrated along with 80-90 grams of protein in a day??? I’m making myself sick. The most I got today was 45 oz liquid and 60 gr protein. Please help!! Also please excuse me if I write something in an incorrect area this sight is a lil challenging for me. But please help because I’m so frustrated over this. 

@Jlipp, don't sweat perfect compliance at 4 days out!! Those are goals to work on, not achieve immediately. The first few weeks are all about healing and learning to deal with your new system, so the liquid and protein are important, but not the high numbers, just enough to get your body through that time. 

At four days post op, I think I was doing like 40-60 oz of liquid, and not even past clear liquids yet - just some Isopure clear (which disgusts me, but I did anyway) and broth and tea and really watered down juice. I'm not sure what your particular plan tells you to be consuming during the first week, but I'm sure you will be OK with your 45 oz of liquid and 60g of protein for now. Don't panic!! 

Here's my Day 5 post-op blog entry, to give you a look into my head at that point:

You're doing amazing for being 4 days post-op!!! Remember, those are your goals to aim for,  not necessarily reality (especially that early out). 

Don't upset yourself Jlipp - you're doing fine for being early post-op.

Relax.  it's going to be fine.  Just do your best to drink liquids and consume protein.  It should get a lot easier for you as the weeks go by.

It all comes in time. Each day after surgery you will get a little more.  You are learning.