Recidivist

A "Lightweight" Having RNY

I am in awe of people here who have lost incredible amounts of weight and have completely transformed their bodies.  My BMI was marginal in terms of qualifying for surgery (but I did due to multiple co-morbidities) and I have "only" 90 pounds to lose.  Does anyone have any observations about how the journey might be different for people like me as opposed to those starting with much higher BMIs?

My BMI was 29.9 the day I had my surgery. Excess weight dropped off so quickly it was almost scary. At three months post-op I had to stop losing weight so I could have another surgery. Not going to lie, it was difficult to stop losing, partly because if the surgery, and partly because I didn't want to. My experience as a "lightweight" was my surgeon watched me like a hawk, and gave lots of orders which he did admit was unusual for him. He still does and I'm almost two years out now. I never did find a dietician that knew what to do with a low BMI bypasser....unfortunately though they would never admit it and gave bad advice instead to cover their inadequate training. That's why my surgeon took the reigns regarding my diet....he knew what was most import and wanted to ensure I got the right information.  Every surgeon who does revisional surgeries should know how to manage their lower weight patients....it's up to the patient to then follow their personal diet plan rather than compare themselves and their plan to others.

My starting weight was close to yours, but I’m shorter.  I barely had a 40 BMI.  I had several co morbidities.  I lost all my weight in 9 months.  Some who are light weights do Tend to lose a little more slowly (or so they think) since great chunks aren’t falling off.  I weighed ever 2 weeks so I could see a bigger picture and so I didn’t get discouraged when a stall happened).  

Also, keep in mind you may not be able to look in a mirror and see changes.  For this reason it’s imporant to take pictures and measurements (the basic measurements plus things like thighs, wrist, neck, upper arms, ankles) so you can see on paper the changes.  @CheeringCJ has the best transformation pictures I’ve seen in her blog.  I did measurements every month.  When my hubby saw me measuring my neck pre op he said you aren’t going to lose weight in your neck, I lost 3.5 inches, lol!  And found my collarbones..(all these things you don’t realize when you embark on this awesome journey!).  Right before this journey I bought a 1xl shirt for the spring after surgery (I was a 2xl and thought I was being optimistic, by the time I tried it on it was way too big, lol.  All I was focused on was getting healthier, not losing weight.  I didn’t even realize my jeans were too big-I bought a belt-another first- and just kept tightening it.  Some one said something about needing new jeans.  By that time I had gone from a 22/24 to a 14/16.  So do realize you may not see yourself shrinking.

another light weight thing is you may not have as much extra skin.  There are other things that figure in there age, heredity...

@NerdyToothpick could definitely help you out with that perspective, but she's been off the forum lately... anyone heard from her??? @NerdyToothpick we miss you :(

She was very much borderline as far as BMI goes, and did RNY for diabetes reasons. You might look up her info - she shared a lot of great stories about her journey.

3 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

@NerdyToothpick could definitely help you out with that perspective, but she's been off the forum lately... anyone heard from her??? @NerdyToothpick we miss you :(

She was very much borderline as far as BMI goes, and did RNY for diabetes reasons. You might look up her info - she shared a lot of great stories about her journey.

Definitely missing her and have been wondering how she and her little family are doing. Just throwing it here because you've already called her (so to speak).

Thanks, everyone.  Very useful and reassuring information!

19 hours ago, Recidivist said:

I am in awe of people here who have lost incredible amounts of weight and have completely transformed their bodies.  My BMI was marginal in terms of qualifying for surgery (but I did due to multiple co-morbidities) and I have "only" 90 pounds to lose.  Does anyone have any observations about how the journey might be different for people like me as opposed to those starting with much higher BMIs?

My BMI was barely 35 when I pursued WLS.  In order for BCBS to pay for the surgery, I needed to have a pre-existing condition (sleep apnea for me).  My highest weight ever was 242, and I've maintained 150-151 for almost a year now.  So I am in your 90 pound range of weight loss. :)  I really don't think my journey was any different than any other sleever. except I may have hit goal a little sooner.  You will still need to follow your plan diligently, and don't let your guard down when you go into maintenance.  This is an incredible journey even for "light weights"  :D  Best of luck to you <3

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 7:08 AM, Jen581791 said:

Jen I have sent @NerdyToothpick private massages and a message on her board awhile back. I sure hope she is doing okay.

15 hours ago, tracyringo said:

Jen I have sent @NerdyToothpick private massages and a message on her board awhile back. I sure hope she is doing okay.

Me too, I was hoping a shout-out from the forum would reach her! :(  I hope she's doing well.

3 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Me too, I was hoping a shout-out from the forum would reach her! :(  I hope she's doing well.

Maybe @BurgundyBoy knows something or can get in touch with her. I know they use the same clinic for followups, and have even talked about getting together for a coffee at times. Hint, hint BB!!!!

On 1/1/2019 at 11:40 PM, Recidivist said:

Hi R., my "official" starting BMI was 38 but I know it was really 40. :ph34r: I got down to a BMI of 27 in 9 months, was steady there for a long time, upped my exercise and got under 25 late last summer early fall ... and then in the press of a demanding job over the past 3 months, slacked off the gym, and went back to my BMI of 27. My weight at the end of December was within 1.5 pounds of my weight in June 2017 and in early January 2017 (my surgery was mid March 2016). So that has been pretty steady. 

I think it just means since you have less to lose, you get there sooner. Like you I had co-morbidities (terrible hip and back problems, sleep apnea) and the weight loss has been a tremendous gift. 

For what it is worth, there are a bunch of studies - which when taken together - suggest that going to the gym is worth about another 2 BMI points off. My personal stuff this past 6 months is instructive since with daily hard exercise (rowing at an high level) my BMI was just under 25, and now (without that) it is 27. Exercise is not critical to our weight loss but it is critical to an healthy life! and does provide a bit of an extra when you are in the acute weight loss period, it seems to help keep you losing and to make it a bit faster. 

On 1/4/2019 at 7:21 AM, Aussie Bear said:

Maybe @BurgundyBoy knows something or can get in touch with her. I know they use the same clinic for followups, and have even talked about getting together for a coffee at times. Hint, hint BB!!!!

Just back from India, sorry have been away from the Forum. Measures taken. ;)