Having had an oversized sleeve for 4 years I never had this feeling of food getting stuck. Now I have it often, even if I chew right, even if I have a tiny amount. The same food can go down fine one day and kill me the next. I know it’s still early, 3 weeks post op yesterday. My nut wants us off protein shakes and to get everything through food but I think she’s not being realistic. I see my surgeon Thursday and will be discussing all this. I used shakes regularly for the last 4 years and I don’t see that stopping. I don’t think one a day is a problem. At this point I cannot eat 60 grams and when I get back to working out harder I feel better getting 100 grams. So any insight on food getting stuck and using shakes would be appreciated. Happy New Year!

I had RNY and have never had a problem with food getting stuck so that's something I think you need to contact your surgeon about.

But as far as protein is concerned, at over 11 years out and not being a meat eater (I can't get it (or eggs) down but fish and shellfish is fine - I just don't want it every day), I still rely on at least 1/2 a protein shake or glasses of milk every day to maintain a decent protein intake.

I know that my NUT would have prefered me not to continue to use protein shakes but I feel better for it.

Thank you. I will definitely be discussing the whole stuck feeling with him Thursday. 

I still get the food stuck feeling every once in a while. But it’s usually my fault for either eating too fast, or not chewing well enough. It just happened last night. Hubby made Italian sausage for dinner. 3 bites in, and I was doomed. Didn’t chew it well enough! After suffering for about 40 minutes, I chewed 3 Tums, then slowly sipped a cup of chamomile tea. Finally got relief. But for me, this has happened on occasion since day 1. When I first started eating dense proteins it would happen a lot, but like I said, not too often anymore. It would be worth a conversation with your surgeon, for sure. I probably should have talked to mine about it, but I never did because I just assumed it was because I wasn’t eating properly, lol. Good luck!

I experienced this Christmas eve for the first time.....OMG it's painful. SIL had visions of spending Christmas eve in an ER. It was probably my first trip when I'd forgotten to take my papaya enzymes with me as well.....D'oh!!!! Ended up sipping slowly on a warm cup of tea, that seemed to do the job. I had eaten cold hamburger and it reminded me of someone here posting about having to go to ER and have some meatball extracted by endoscopy.... Hahaha!!!!! Not really funny, but it was what came to mind at the time. It has happened once since, and all I'd had that time was my morning vitamins. Looking back I think I must have been really good at eating slowly and chewing well to get almost 20 months without experiencing it.

Papaya enzymes help me.  And I still have a protein shake once a day during the week.  I don’t like breakfast and it’s quick and handy about mid morning when I start to get hungry.  

Papaya enzymes have saved me when I feel like food (always meat of some kind) feels stuck or if I've eaten one bite too many. It's happened 4 times in the last 10 months since surgery. Even under normal circumstances liquid after solid food really hurts my pouch, so I've never done tea, but alot of people find tea helpful. 

I'm only 10 months out, but I still do about 3 protein shakes per week. They help me to get all my vitamins in. And if you see Dr. Matthew Weiner and Dr. V on You Tube, they recommend protein shakes for life. My NUT wants me off of them eventually. Different advice from different folks so read everything and do what's best for you (Telling your doc of course). 

Thanks for the feedback. My issues are getting less and less. Nice to know I’m not alone. My surgeon said have the shake if I want it. He also said he was working on the nutrition program to get them all on the same page.