Recidivist

Farewell to Favorite Foods?

I am scheduled for RNY in February, and I am making a point of eating all of my favorite (unhealthy) foods now while I can.  I also know that I shouldn't be doing so, because I need to train get used to making healthy choices.  

Did anyone else do this prior to surgery?  Is it going to have a negative impact on my success afterwards?

I certainly did it with a two or three favourites just before my surgery....but not everything. I was very focused on weightloss in the months leading up to my surgery and actually lost over half my excess weight before surgery. After surgery I avoided pretty much everything off plan until I hit goal weight. It was only at the time I was told to start maintenance that I tried a few old favourites... turned out I don't really like them anymore. If I don't get pleasure from eating something now it just goes in the bin. Even if an old favourite (perhaps especially if an old favourite) I won't persevere to get it down in the hope it might bring me pleasure again. It may take a couple of times doing it but the act of putting it in the bin seems to etch itself on my brain so I don't bother buying it again.

I had a pre-op diet and could not afford to deviate off-plan.  If I didn't lose weight AND keep it off between seeing the surgeon for the first time and the day of my surgery, I would not have had my WLS. 

5 hours ago, Recidivist said:

I am scheduled for RNY in February, and I am making a point of eating all of my favorite (unhealthy) foods now while I can.  I also know that I shouldn't be doing so, because I need to train get used to making healthy choices.  

Did anyone else do this prior to surgery?  Is it going to have a negative impact on my success afterwards?

@Recidivist no you are not alone!

I started out trying to eat better, but like every other time I’ve tried to lose weight, I just ended up gaining. My dr told me to relax, take a break, and stop stressing myself out right now. 

He has the three week pre op diet requirement, which I’ll likely start after my next appt. Until then, I am on what someone affectionately nicknamed the Farewell to Food tour. 

II couldn’t gain any weight so I was a little careful, but did manage a few food funerals.  The weekend before surgery we went out for breakfast; I had bloody Mary’s and eggs Benedict.  For supper went to Outback that night.  I had blooming onion, bread, prime rib, loaded potato.  I have not had any of that since.  Fried foods bother me, often giving me foamies.  Alcohol stands an 80 per cent of making me ill, and I don’t want that in public.  I have had part of an order of eggs Benedict minus the bread once, didn’t like it (don’t like eggs anymore).  Can’t eat that much prime rib and I don’t like leftovers.  So I really did enjoy the last time.  

I was so fooded out by the time my “last meal” came before my 24 hours of liquids I didn’t feel like eating, lol!  

Keep in mind, as long as it’s not trigger foods you probably can have those foods again, in smaller portions..I have made myself a loaded baked potato but it’s 4 meals worth.  

Ooooh yes.  Yes, I did.  I had set myself a goal to be under 300 by the time of surgery - which was 55 lbs away at the time I decided to HAVE surgery - so I didn't have a lot of room to do it.  But there was a vacation the month before, and so for that one week... let's just say, mistakes were made.  ;) 

I'm not saying you should go crazy, but if there's something you need to get out of your system, just get it out.  (Though, do it BEFORE any mandatory liver-shrink regimen your doctor orders). I said a permanent goodbye to many things that I'll never have again (mostly worse-than-junk foods - looking at you, doritos and mike & ike!) and I can honestly say I don't miss them!

As soon as I got my appointment, I was focused like a laser on WL, and didn't have any food funerals. Something inside me just clicked and was OK with it, like I ate way too much of that stuff before, I don't need any more of it. I think that's an uncommon mental reaction, though. 

If I were you, I'd maybe pick a small handful of things that you really like the taste of and that are famous for being difficult for many people to tolerate well afterwards (I'd go with ice cream, myself). Allowing yourself to proceed with abandon and just eat like crazy is setting yourself up for a mental whiplash you may not want to deal with. The perception of deprivation can be a real killer of motivation. Setting yourself up for success by training yourself to follow some food rules now will probably be more helpful in terms of getting used to new dietary habits. You're not going to miss the old favorites any less if you have them one last time now than if you consider the last time you had them before now as your last time for a while. There are very few things you really won't be able to eat again eventually (once you hit maintenance). There will just be a lot more things you will choose not to eat again, or at least not frequently.

26 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

If I were you, I'd maybe pick a small handful of things that you really like the taste of and that are famous for being difficult for many people to tolerate well afterwards (I'd go with ice cream, myself). Allowing yourself to proceed with abandon and just eat like crazy is setting yourself up for a mental whiplash you may not want to deal with. The perception of deprivation can be a real killer of motivation. Setting yourself up for success by training yourself to follow some food rules now will probably be more helpful in terms of getting used to new dietary habits. You're not going to miss the old favorites any less if you have them one last time now than if you consider the last time you had them before now as your last time for a while. There are very few things you really won't be able to eat again eventually (once you hit maintenance). There will just be a lot more things you will choose not to eat again, or at least not frequently.

All of this, but especially the bolded. I personally didn't go overboard pre-op, but I definitely made sure to eat my favorites. I can only speak for myself, but a lot of my favorite pre-op foods lost their luster post-op. I was super strict for the first two years post-op and slowly loosened the reigns in the last year. My relationship with food has changed so much post-op. Now, it's really hard (for me, at least) to eat more than a little bit of certain foods (ice cream, chips, chocolate) without feeling yucky or uncomfortable, but like Jen said, there's very few things (honestly, nothing so far) that I can't eat. There's definitely a lot of foods that I choose not to, but many more that I do eat, just in much smaller amounts. All this to say, I would encourage you to go in more with the mentality that you're taking a break from the foods to establish new habits, rather than a scarcity mindset, which could contribute to a panicked feeling of needing to eat all your favorite foods before they're gone forever. And you may find, once you embark on your post-op life, that you don't want to bring those foods back into your diet, but that'll be you choosing rather than feeling forced to cut those things out. Does that make sense?

Edited by athenarose

I didn't diet before the 2 week liquid diet.  I quit smoking and that in itself was all I could handle lol !!   I gained and I ate what I wanted.  When it was time for the 2 week liquid diet I sucked it up and did it. Stuck to the plan after surgery too and lost the weight.  You do what is going to make the transition easiest for you. Good Luck

8 hours ago, tracyringo said:

I quit smoking and that in itself was all I could handle lol !!

That's plenty to be proud of!!! :D