metamorphosister

Surgery done...happy but sad

Hello All.  I am 4 days Post-op and getting used to all the small portions of eating and drinking.  I feel a little sad to not be in control anymore about putting whatever i want in my mouth. Why couldn't I just control better before surgery.  I am trying to focus on all the positive outcomes from having this surgery but gee whiz....1/4 cup of food! Just putting it out there as i feel like a truck has hit me. I just have a bit of soreness...but getting used to the drinking and it gurgling in my tummy.  Did any of you feel down afterwards? Or just me.

Welcome to the losers bench.

The early days of post-op recovery can be difficult but the reason most of us had WLS in the first place is that we didn't have control over what or how much we ate.

Truly, once you recover from your surgery and start to feel the benefits of losing weight, things will be different.  A whole new and healthier world will open up to you. 

Welcome to the losers bench !!  I asked myself the same question, why couldn't I just do this on my own. I did do it on my own a few times and always regained at some point. This tool gives me more control now. I still am the one doing the work.  Remind yourself that it is just for now.  Later down the road when you are all healed and things start getting back to normal you will be able to eat more and enjoy food again.

There are people on here who have discussed depression after surgery from not being able to turn to food. I myself didn't have that problem, I am sure others will chime in that have has to deal with that.  Good luck to you. Come here for daily support.

The first few weeks suck as we try to juggle water, vitamins, walking etc. Once the stomach heals and the swelling goes down, we can eat more both in volume and variety, and things start to pick up. The body adjusts to what we've put it through and weight starts to fall off. By this point most people forget any regret or second thoughts they might have had straight after surgery. Give yourself time to heal. Currently your in the worst part of this trip....it gets better each day.

First, congrats on having the surgery done!  As everyone who has had this procedure done knows, there is a lot of hard work you have to put in prior to surgery.  After surgery I experienced times of depression as well as thoughts of regret because like you I questioned why it came to surgery.  Now I’m 6 months out and know I made the right decision.  As time passes you get used to the restrictions your new sleeve has and it becomes second nature.  As I continue to lose weight I find I have more energy, confidence (I still have social anxiety but not nearly like it was), and overall I am a happier person.  

You will adjust.  I often use custard cups and dessert/salad plates to make it look normal.  Wait til you go to a buffet, the amount of food they heap on a plate is sickening.  Even eating out is a whole new adventure.  You will adjust, it just takes time..

The teensy amounts of food are pretty mind-blowing at first, and then it just gets to be normal. The way I figure it, I had 40+ years of eating too large portions to make up for - my brain had a hard time swinging the other direction! At almost two years out, I am able to eat at restaurants and parties and such without people noticing I'm eating weirdly, though (a combination of a little larger capacity now plus good coping strategies). I don't miss being able to eat large portions. I enjoy eating high quality teeny portions of only things I like and need, never things just to fill me up. And my brain doesn't need to spend time thinking about food much anymore. It's very liberating.

You'll start to feel better as you recover - your physical aches and pains and differences will ease, you'll get your energy back, and you'll start to learn how best to feed your new sleeve. As you grow more confident and capable, you'll be losing crazy amounts of weight. It gets better fast! :) 

Had it done last may, and never regretted it

I like the small portions, if  I order more than one thing at a restaurant, the second thing comes home, and is a small lunch for days

It will get better and better by the day, @metamorphosister, given time and healing and weight dropping off like crazy ;)

i questioned why i couldn’t do this on my own but quickly realized after years of dieting and regaining that i simply couldn’t and this wasn’t the easy way out, it was the only way out!  And it has proven true!  You’ll see in time.

how are you feeling now that it has been longer?  

How are you doing?

11 hours ago, Sleeved23 said:

I see this is an old thread, but I'm 4 days out and I'm miserable. I miss good. Wondering what the hell I've done

Welcome to Thinner Times!

What you're going through isn't unusual in the early post-op days/weeks but hang in there.  There are several causes such as reaction to anesthesia, antibiotics, pain/discomfort, reaction to painkillers, physical, mental, and emotional stress.

It's worth mentioning it to your surgeon when you next see him/her.

13 hours ago, Sleeved23 said:

I see this is an old thread, but I'm 4 days out and I'm miserable. I miss good. Wondering what the hell I've done

What you've done is something extraordinary. You are undergoing temporary discomfort so you can be healthy and fit and slim and like a butterfly exit a cocoon and thrive the rest of your life. 

Most of all you will exult in your longer lifespan. This, @Sleeved23, is deadly serious stuff: you are going to live longer now. You will live longer, and in better health, than you were fated to live in your prior life. 

You should expect a few days of disappointment and you should expect having 'Buyer's Remorse' when you gaze upon your ex-favorite pig-out food and find... you have no interest in it. You should also expect exultation as you throw away meds you don't need, throw away clothes that hid you instead of displayed you, fit comfortably into seats without worrying about breaking them, and delight in the shock on people's face as they finally recognize you in your new shape. Most importantly you will exult in being in control of your life. All the adult things we do have upsides and downsides. 

I used to love eating an entire rack of ribs. It must be 6 or 8 months since I had one rib. I just don't care. I used to eat bags of potato chips. Now I have 3. I just went to a wedding and ate moderately and well. One bite of the wedding cake was enough to share in the festivities, I didn't need to eat 500 calories of sugar and flour to be happy for the couple. 

I still love food. I just love my health more than the immediate gratification of feeling bloated and full. I belong to food and wine societies. I eat incredibly well. I've found that for me - and everyone's Path is different - I focus on quality and beauty (I'll let you define what makes a food's visible presence, its smell, its flavor; it's different for everyone). You do not have to give up all pleasures, nor even the majority of them. The only "pleasure" you have to give up is that of eating too much.  There are many threads here about the difference in physiologic hunger (true body needs hunger) and hedonistic hunger (head hunger, based on emotion not on physiology). This is an opportunity to re-calibrate and to address physiological hunger and to acknowledge the role of hedonistic hunger. In my view it is better to live your life moderately and in control of yourself than to be at the beck and call of the whims of your emotional self when it comes to eating.

And I love having less back pain.

And I love having less joint pain.

And I love sleeping through the night without my sleep apnea waking me up. I love sleeping through the night with my beloved spouse next to me, and not driven away by my snoring. And I love the way this has re-energized my love life.

And I love my new wardrobe of clothes (who knew I was as vain as I am about my new looks??)

And I love it when I cycle 5 mph faster than I used to go. 

And I love it when I see my doc and she looks at my numbers and shakes her head in disbelief.  

I.am almost 4 weeks post-op and yes I'm starting to feel a little down mentally there are certain foods I'd like to eat but cant (like a Greek salad and a steak) So tired of ice pops,jello,and yogurt.I suppose I need to keep a bit more busy and not think about food so much.

9 hours ago, Niecie said:

I.am almost 4 weeks post-op and yes I'm starting to feel a little down mentally there are certain foods I'd like to eat but cant (like a Greek salad and a steak) So tired of ice pops,jello,and yogurt.I suppose I need to keep a bit more busy and not think about food so much.

The early stage post-op can be difficult but hang in there Niecie.  It will all be worth it.

I can't believe i'm saying this but I really can't wait for the pureed stage.

I'm almost looking forward to figuring out what pureed eggs or pureed chicken breast with peas tastes like.

I def miss eating stuff that isn't sugar-free gelatin or low-sodium/unsalted broth or crystal light (or water with ice chips).

On 6/30/2019 at 6:47 AM, Niecie said:

It seems like it takes forever to get through the food stages, and then suddenly, you're there. You can make it through! Hang in there! The steak and the Greek salad will be great later but would feel horrible if your stomach isn't ready for them. Fortunately, they are really nice healthy choices, so you should be able to enjoy them soon! You'll soon find that how your body feels (healthy, smaller, easier to move around) is so amazing, and makes up for any temporary annoyance with the food limitations early out. 

10 hours ago, TheJuice202 said:

I can't believe i'm saying this but I really can't wait for the pureed stage.

I'm almost looking forward to figuring out what pureed eggs or pureed chicken breast with peas tastes like.

I def miss eating stuff that isn't sugar-free gelatin or low-sodium/unsalted broth or crystal light (or water with ice chips).

When you get to the pureed stage, you might want to check out The World According to Eggface's website. The link is to her pureed stage recipes and suggestions, but she's got stuff for every stage. Her ricotta bake is a life-saver after you've been white-knuckling it through the liquids stage. I didn't actually puree stuff in my puree stage - I just ate smooth/thick stuff like refried beans, etc and chewed really well. The idea of pureed food was just not appealing to me :lol: 

You'll get there soon! Best of luck as you count the days.

1 hour ago, Jen581791 said:

When you get to the pureed stage, you might want to check out The World According to Eggface's website. The link is to her pureed stage recipes and suggestions, but she's got stuff for every stage. Her ricotta bake is a life-saver after you've been white-knuckling it through the liquids stage. I didn't actually puree stuff in my puree stage - I just ate smooth/thick stuff like refried beans, etc and chewed really well. The idea of pureed food was just not appealing to me :lol: 

You'll get there soon! Best of luck as you count the days.

Wait...lol so I don't have to puree my scrambled eggs?

I'm definitely going to check that website out :)…..thanks!

14 hours ago, TheJuice202 said:

lol so I don't have to puree my scrambled eggs?

*shudder* 

chew, chew chew! :) 

On 7/3/2019 at 10:13 AM, TheJuice202 said:

Wait...lol so I don't have to puree my scrambled eggs?

I'm definitely going to check that website out :)…..thanks!

Juice, there is a technique for making pretty soft scrambled eggs... add between 1 and 2 teaspoons of milk to you egg when you beat it for the eggs, they will be much more moist and easy to eat!

How you doing?