Aussie Bear

I'm going to change things up - Surgeon's visit UPDATE

Recommended Posts

So we all know we're all different when it comes to what works for us diet wise and what doesn't. When TV rating season ends in Australia there's nothing much on tv worth watching so I've been hitting YouTube and google bigtime. I've suspected for most of this year that many of my post surgery issues relate to inflammation,  and researching that leads me to a place where I believe my current diet could well be exacerbating that issue. After much research I've decided to start the new year by tossing out my surgeon's plan and following my own....more akin to the Dr Matthew Weiner way of eating post bariatric surgery....minus his green smoothies though. I figure it can't do me too much harm in the next three months before my next visit to my surgeon. Who knows, it might even resolve a lot of issues and show my surgeon a different way. I'm basically going to go sugar free (which we already sort of do), but also grain free. I'm even going to try as far as possible to only eat protien that isn't grain fed, so I guess you could say it's low carb gluten free. Could be interesting to see if I can do it or not, and I do expect some push back from the medical fraternity that I still see, because they really don't seem to like seeing whole food groups eliminated, even though carbs have no intrinsic nutritional value whatsoever. I'm seeing an MD in a couple of days and will be telling him what I'm doing and why, so he can decide if he wants to monitor anything along the way. Please don't assume I'm going off plan without any medical supervision in place.

My logic is that when I had my bypass, I wasn't actually unwell. My body was surprisingly metabolically sound for someone who was morbidly obese. I was taking no prescribed medications other than pain relief for my fractured foot, and vitamin D3. Since surgery though it seems my prescribed medications get added to almost by the month. Apart from the vitamins, calcium etc which we all expect, I'm now on diabetic medications daily, other medications that over time will damage my liver and kidneys, daily antihistamines because my body reacts to everything I take or put on my skin, and now hormones. Probably should add here that while symptoms are somewhat improved, they are nowhere near what they should be. Instead I foresee dosages being increased while my aim is to actually eliminate them eventually.  As the saying goes somethings gotta give, and at the present time that seems to be my sanity. Maybe changing things up is the answer, maybe it isn't.....I won't know until I try. So wish me luck folks, and if you have a different perspective or even just some other tips, please feel free to share them.

Edited by Aussie Bear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It feels good to take things into your own hands and see how they work, doesn’t it?  Good luck with it and keep us posted.  Hopefully a diet change will help with the inflammation and you will get relief!  (So many things relate back to the gut, that I really think you’re on to something! I’d be surprised if it didn’t help)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our diets can effect so much inside (and out) of our bodies and how they function. Just because we stick to our post op plan, and lose all the weight, that doesn't necessarily mean we are healthy(er). I think it sounds like a great plan. My primary care doctor is a firm believer in trying "elimination" diets long before medications if we are experiencing weird symptoms...like allergies, for instance. I understand things like root vegetables can cause joint swelling and inflammation, so if I were still eating a lot of those foods now, that would be the first thing he would tell me to stop eating. Just because you are going to be trying something new doesn't mean it's WRONG...just different. I truly hope you can find a plan that works for you and helps with the inflammation and pain ❤️ I'll be following this post, so please give updates as you go!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best of luck, @Aussie Bear. You've been having a hard time of it, so change might be just the thing you need. And if you get to watch some extra videos of Dr. Matthew Wiener, that's not too hard... ;) He's a cutie.

Let us know how you do and what kinds of effects you see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish you the very best of luck with your new diet plan.  Hopefully it will allow you to drop medications and/or feel better.  Be sure to let us know how it works for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

Our diets can effect so much inside (and out) of our bodies and how they function. Just because we stick to our post op plan, and lose all the weight, that doesn't necessarily mean we are healthy(er). I think it sounds like a great plan. My primary care doctor is a firm believer in trying "elimination" diets long before medications if we are experiencing weird symptoms...like allergies, for instance. I understand things like root vegetables can cause joint swelling and inflammation, so if I were still eating a lot of those foods now, that would be the first thing he would tell me to stop eating. Just because you are going to be trying something new doesn't mean it's WRONG...just different. I truly hope you can find a plan that works for you and helps with the inflammation and pain ❤️ I'll be following this post, so please give updates as you go!

Thanks for the advice Trish. I really don't eat much in the way of root vegetables these days, so I can easily eliminate the odd carrot or radish that might pop into a salad here or there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Best of luck, @Aussie Bear. You've been having a hard time of it, so change might be just the thing you need. And if you get to watch some extra videos of Dr. Matthew Wiener, that's not too hard... ;) He's a cutie.

Let us know how you do and what kinds of effects you see. 

He has some new ones on regain....if you need an excuse Jen. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck!  And happy new year to you.  Hope it’s a healthy one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I applaud you for listening to your body.  This certainly is not what we learned which led to our morbid obesity.  I'm hoping this works for you.  You might have to modify even this.  Do whatever works for you.  Keep us posted.  wishing you the best.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was basically low-carb, sugar-free, grass-fed-beef-only, gluten-free (essentially "paleo") for two years and lost 100 lbs on it and felt fantastic.  That was waaaaay before surgery, and since I didn't have this tool I gained it back over the next three or four years.  But it certainly did me no harm, and I can't imagine it will harm you, either.  Good luck!
 

And Happy New Year! =D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good Luck Aussie !!   Keep us posted on how it is going.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2018 at 3:27 PM, Aussie Bear said:

Thanks for the advice Trish. I really don't eat much in the way of root vegetables these days, so I can easily eliminate the odd carrot or radish that might pop into a salad here or there.

I didn’t figure you ate much in the way of root veggies...I just know that would be my doctor’s first suggestion to me if I had still been eating a lot of them...with all of the inflamation I have. Have you started your new eating plan yet, @Aussie Bear? If so, how is it going?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

I didn’t figure you ate much in the way of root veggies...I just know that would be my doctor’s first suggestion to me if I had still been eating a lot of them...with all of the inflamation I have. Have you started your new eating plan yet, @Aussie Bear? If so, how is it going?

Not yet @Nana Trish. In my research I came across a book that sounded like it had a good plan for gradually moving into a keto diet without the worst of the detox symptoms. Turned out I could buy it locally, so I've been working my way through reading it. Thought I'd actually try the gradual approach and aiming to start the 21 day "keto reset diet" diet on Monday. Once you've done the reset which aims to keep gross carb intake under 150g daily (I'm probably under that most days anyway) it moves on to 6 weeks keto with gross carbs below 50g.That said I have been monitoring bloating symptoms and am more convinced than ever that gluten is a major player in that.....but it could just be carbs in general. As I thought,  my doctor is not a fan of my plan...hahaha!!!! He's given me an order for blood tests to be done though because he knows I'm going to try this out with or without his approval. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve just started taking glycine—a non-essential amino acid that’s supposed to help with inflammation. Too early to say if it’s doing anything, but at least it’s in the category of things that are unlikely to hurt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aussie Bear said:

Not yet @Nana Trish. In my research I came across a book that sounded like it had a good plan for gradually moving into a keto diet without the worst of the detox symptoms. Turned out I could buy it locally, so I've been working my way through reading it. Thought I'd actually try the gradual approach and aiming to start the 21 day "keto reset diet" diet on Monday. Once you've done the reset which aims to keep gross carb intake under 150g daily (I'm probably under that most days anyway) it moves on to 6 weeks keto with gross carbs below 50g.That said I have been monitoring bloating symptoms and am more convinced than ever that gluten is a major player in that.....but it could just be carbs in general. As I thought,  my doctor is not a fan of my plan...hahaha!!!! He's given me an order for blood tests to be done though because he knows I'm going to try this out with or without his approval. 

Lol, @Aussie Bear...you knew your doc wasn’t going to like it! But it sounds to me that you are going about it the right way. I truly hope this helps you...I always pray for you! I want you to feel better, and hopefully this will do it for you :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

Lol, @Aussie Bear...you knew your doc wasn’t going to like it! But it sounds to me that you are going about it the right way. I truly hope this helps you...I always pray for you! I want you to feel better, and hopefully this will do it for you :) 

Haha....yeah. The doctor I saw was the one I was seeing when I had my bypass. He was forced to move away when the practice he was at was sold. He was in town doing some locum work so I booked in to see him. He's moving back here in March. It's good to have a doctor that knows me again. He knows I'll be honest with him regardless of what his opinion is, and has come to realise that I know my body better than any doctor I've seen. I'm usually spot on with my own issues, although I usually go along for the ride as far as having any tests they want to run done. The exception to that was when my gyn wanted a glucose tolerance test....I refused that, but told him why it wasn't appropriate.  If he comes up with an alternative and more appropriate testing regime for the reactive hypoglycemia then I'll consider it, but until then it just isn't going to happen. Had a bit of a laugh when my pelvic and abdominal ultrasounds came back completely normal because I told the specialist that ordered them that it was a waste of time.....fortunately he organised it so it didn't cost me anything for the tests. I told him I wouldn't have those either if I had to pay out of pocket for them. For my next prediction....I reckon when this doctor moves back here he'll try to talk me into a GTT at the local emergency room when he's doing a duty doctor shift. Not sure what the point is but depending on how I feel at the time I might go along with it just for the "I told you so" opportunity it'll give me later. :-D 

Edited by Aussie Bear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:D:DOh, @Aussie Bear...I’m so right there with you, my friend! More prayers and welll wishes couldn’t be coming your way right now!! Please let me know how you are coming along. All of my prayers and best wishes are coming to you, twinnie!! Message me if you need someone to talk to!! ❤️❤️❤️ Love you, my friend!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2019 at 3:17 AM, tracyringo said:

Good Luck Aussie !!   Keep us posted on how it is going.

 

Update: I really did end up making some major changes....in the end not only did I go totally added sugar free (which many of us pretty much do most of the time anyway) I decided after much research to just bite the bullet and go totally grain free!!!! Even though I'm still eating three servings of fruit a day, one with each meal, I went straight into ketosis. Haven't been there since surgery so was completely surprised when I turned a keto stick purple......never done that before. For me though the bonus has been that in the week I've been strictly adhering to it my blood glucose hasn't risen above 5.5 or dropped below 4.5 that I'm aware of. Bloating and abdominal pain has dropped significantly and my skin rashes have almost cleared up. I admit this way of eating would be really hard to stick to if I was eating away from home and not preparing all my meals myself, but for the time being at least, it's doable. Geez I wouldn't want me as q dinner guest right now, but I'm not accepting any dinner invites anyway, hahaha. I'm really hoping that by the time I see my surgeon again in late March I'm able to convince him that his "oh it's just dumping syndrome, don't worry about it" isn't a good enough answer when a patient comes to him complaining about the severity of post-op symptoms I did. I don't want to have numerous new (supposedly life long) medications prescribed to try to take the edge of my symptoms...... I want those symptoms to actually stop!!!! There was no way I could accept what I was dealing with could be the new post surgery me!!!!!

Week 2 starts today. Hopefully things will continue to improve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Aussie Bear, good for you, and hope things continue to improve! Way to take charge in your health!! You're rocking this!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @Aussie Bear, how have you been going this week? I'm very interested to hear your results. I work for  MS here in Tas and have had a lot of clients tell me their MS progression has stopped after changing to an anti inflammatory type diet. 

Edited by Loosing Lucy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Loosing Lucy said:

Hey @Aussie Bear, how have you been going this week? I'm very interested to hear your results. I work for  MS here in Tas and have had a lot of clients tell me their MS progression has stopped after changing to an anti inflammatory type diet. 

Pretty well actually. For starters all the weight I was fighting to either lose or just keep off after the holidays just dropped away and doesn't show the usual signs of coming back. Just sitting nicely where I was 12 months ago. My thrush is staying at bay, itchy skin is mostly gone (not bad given almost two weeks here in the 40C+....48C today). Not sure what my ferretin levels are like yet....that won't be tested for another 2 months....was oscillating between 700-500 for all of 2018 when should be under 200). Apart from the one day when I ate a skinny cow sundae.... who knew they contained wheat???.....D'oh I should have checked!!!.... my blood sugars have tended to stay between 4.5-5.5 range rather than the 13.5-2.3!!! From what I managed to glimpse at an appointment with a locum yesterday who was useless and didn't even want to deal with me, looks like my A1C is now sitting at 4.2, which is a new low... down again from 4.5 last time. My joints all feel better as well. I'm not going to pretend it's an easy diet to stick to, but I'm choosing the monotony of safe choices for now rather than risking it. Still haven't had to tell any medical what I'm up to, so I have more time still to work things out for myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HI @Aussie Bear

Sounds like your mostly protein diet is working. How have things been this last week? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

HI @Aussie Bear

Sounds like your mostly protein diet is working. How have things been this last week? 

Not bad....but I do still get caught out occasionally with stuff that's packed in my freezer with no ingredient list. Fortunately the reaction isn't as extreme as it had been because it would be minuscule amounts most likely in stabiliser ingredients. Wheat is definitely a problem for me. I dug out my old diet records and realised that my coeliac testing was done at a time when I was low carb dieting so was likely not consuming wheat then either...... a big no no when having that test....to be fair I wasn't told that test was being done at the time (it was a random thing tucked in amongst a long list of blood tests). I won't be going back on wheat products again to be getting it retested either!!!!!  Coming off gluten free to have that test requires the equivalent of 4-6 slices of wheat bread daily for 6 weeks!!!!!! Not happening.....what's the point of an elimination style diet if you don't heed the results????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Aussie Bear I’m catching up and want to know how you are doing. Do you think your new diet is helping your woes? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, NerdyToothpick said:

@Aussie Bear I’m catching up and want to know how you are doing. Do you think your new diet is helping your woes? 

It's definitely helping, but I don't think it's the complete solution. I'm certainly not having the same levels of inflammation issues.....eg, very little bloating.... I can wear my clothes most of the day now without them getting too tight, my joints feel better, thrush is almost resolved,  and my skin irritation is a LOT less but still around. My gyn thinks I may be allergic to a particular medication but I have to take it (fortunately only weekly at the moment but today's the day so dreading that). I had gained about 7lb before I started this routine and that's come off again with a couple of friends, so definitely happy with that. This is still all based on how I feel though rather than any test results. My gyn ran some bloods about a month ago and while everything he tested for was within range (for our pathology standards), he is concerned that some of my markers seem very low (eg, cholesterol and A1C), in Australia they have upper limits for these tests but no lower limits for some reason. Haha, who'd have though a couple of years ago that those could be a concern. I'm having the balance of my usual tests done before my next bariatric follow up in a month. I'll be interested to see what my ferretin levels are like then. My ferretin level has always been the marker of inflamation for me and over the past year has been 300-400% higher than it should be.

Edited by Aussie Bear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...