Sign in to follow this  
middie5

Exercise routine

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for weight loss/toning.  I’m about 6 months post op and have been doing anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour of cardio 4x a week.  Now that I have lost a good amount of weight I’m starting to see the excess skin, and was wanting to start incorporating some weight training to help tone up.  I’m thinking of hiring a personal trainer and/or starting yoga but wanted to ask people who have been through the procedure if they had any routines or suggestions they wouldn’t mind sharing.  

Hey @middie5, good work! I'm not sure if you ever tried it, but I find yoga and pilates fantastic at building lean, strong muscles especially for core strength. As an added bonus, it also helped keep things 'firmish'. I do still have some excess skin, but I really do think it would have been much worse without these exercises. Maybe try out some YouTube clips to try it out? Good luck! Might save you some money too ;)

I subscribe to Daily Burn 365. There is a new workout every day. Some are more cardio focused while others are more strength focused. Weekends usually include yoga and/or Pilates. Any sort of toning exercises are sure to be good for your health in many ways. Find something you enjoy, and stick with it! 

Best wishes!

I'd definitely encourage you to hire a personal trainer if you can swing it financially. It was honestly one of the best decisions I ever made. Having someone to not only come up with routines, but to constantly check your form is really important, particularly if you don't have a solid knowledge base in regards to exercise physiology. It's so easy to injure yourself if you don't have proper form.  Plus, a trainer will likely push you harder than you would yourself or make you do exercises you wouldn't necessarily choose to do (burpees and battle ropes will never be in my voluntary repertoire, for example). And definitely take at least a couple yoga classes if you've never tried it before. Again, having a knowledgeable instructor to adjust your form is priceless, particularly when you're first learning the poses. 

Thank you for all your answers they’ve definitely gave me some ideas of where to start!