Loosing Lucy

Surely I am not meant to be able to eat this much yet!?

So I was told is only be able to eat about 1/4 cup of food at a time for quite a while post op and would get to about 1 cup of food at a time after about a year. But I'm already able to eat 2 scrambled eggs in a sitting. I take my time,  chew well and take a few minutes between mouthfuls but still,  it seems a lot! I'm waiting after drinking too so not that. 

Having said all that I'm still probably only getting about 400cal a day so not worried re: calorie intake other than being a little low maybe. I just wasn't expecting it. 

When you eat that much, are you uncomfortable after? And how long does it take you to eat them? That honestly seems like a lot of food to comfortably eat when you're only two weeks post-op, but maybe that was just my experience....

48 minutes ago, athenarose said:

When you eat that much, are you uncomfortable after? And how long does it take you to eat them? That honestly seems like a lot of food to comfortably eat when you're only two weeks post-op, but maybe that was just my experience...

That's what I thought.  No, not uncomfortable. If I ate one mouthful after another I most likely would be but I take a few minutes between each mouthful after I've swallowed and manage to eat it all without discomfort. Takes maybe 30 minutes. I sometimes wonder if the surgeon did the op at all!

Edited by Loosing Lucy

I have never taken more than 15 minutes over a meal.  More than that and I think I could start picking at the leftovers. 

Apparently, It takes time (up to 20 minutes ) for your body to tell your brain that it's had enough food - for me it was around around 15 minutes so that's the time I allowed myself to eat.  If I'd have carried on, I'm sure I could have eaten a lot more.

Careful, @Loosing Lucy! You're just a couple of weeks out, and the only thing stopping you from hurting yourself is measuring. Your stomach's nerves have not healed yet, and your new sense of "I'm full now" will not yet be familiar to you for quite some time, I suspect. Even after the nerves have healed, "full" is a really new feeling that you have to learn. For now, measure everything and don't take in more than you're supposed to. There's a reason they've told you to take in that much. 

Think of your new stomach's limits like steering a car on a curvy mountain road: you can rely on the guard-rail on the side to keep your car from going over the cliff by just aiming for it and bouncing off again and again, but eventually that's going to fail you. It's much more sensible to use the steering wheel to gently adjust the direction you're moving and avoid hitting the guard-rail at all. Of course, you have to learn how to finesse the steering wheel, and that's a longer process than just slamming into the guard-rail, but it's very much worth it! :) 

I followed my surgeon’s guidelines to the letter that early out. I only ate amounts he said were ok for my pouch, and I was told that anything left over after 20 minutes was supposed to be the end of my meal. 

I just checked back on My Fitness Pal, and at 2 weeks out, I ate 2 ounces of yogurt for breakfast, 1 ounce of canned salmon for lunch, 1.5 ounces canned salmon for dinner, and a cup of chicken broth for a snack. Totaled 216 calories for that day. The advice I have is to be very careful. Measuring everything you eat, either by weighing or having that 1/4c, is the best way to eat right now. Don’t leave anything up to chance. Measure everything, and when you’re done with that meal, you’re done. Try not to count calories right now either. Just focus on the food and proper amounts you’re supposed to be eating, then leave the table :) 

I’m about 19.5 months post op now, and I still put that chicken or fish on the food scale every night! The only time I don’t weigh or measure my food now is when dining out (in which case I ask immediately for a take out container and put at least half of my meal in it prior to eating), or when I’ve eaten it so many times I know how much it weighs, lol. Like eggs. Take it slow...your new tummy will thank you for it!! 

I hope this didn’t sound judge-y...it’s not meant to be! I want you to be healthy and happy and not hurt your new insides! ❤️

Within a couple of weeks of my gastric bypass, I could eat 3/4 or 1 cup of food at a meal.  I was totally fine with this, but was (and still am) careful to keep my diet based on lean protein and some vegetables.  I was able to lose all of my excess weight in about 10 months, and have kept my excess weight off since then.  So, as long as you base your diet on lean protein and keep your calories low, I would not worry about being able to eat more than some other people do here at TTF. 

Just now, Res Ipsa said:

Within a couple of weeks of my gastric bypass, I could eat 3/4 or 1 cup of food at a meal.  I was totally fine with this, but was (and still am) careful to keep my diet based on lean protein and some vegetables.  I was able to lose all of my excess weight in about 10 months, and have kept my excess weight off since then.  So, as long as you base your diet on lean protein and keep your calories low, I would not worry about being able to eat more than some other people do here at TTF. 

I always forget how different we all are after surgery, @Res Ipsa, and you make a good point :)

I eat about 5 ounces per meal now (a little less if it's super dense protein), and I've always felt like I'm eating way more than most here on the forum. But I'm maintaining just fine, and I assume I will continue to do so as long as I stick to the program.

Edited by Nana Trish

I was barely able to get a couple of tablespoons of egg down.  I was buying liquid egg as I was wasting a portion of egg.  I never take a half an hour.  I eat.  When I’m full or done with my meal, I get up and leave the table.  It’s easy to pick at food if it’s in front of you.  As the food settles, there is more room to eat.  

Scrambled egg was one of the rare foods I couldn't do at all for a couple of months. Glad you can because it's a great protien source.

These days (I do eat really slowly) I've learned that once I get even an inkling that I'm full, whatever is left on my plate goes straight into the bin. I probably take around 30 minutes to eat a meal. 

Thanks so much for all the replies and advice everyone, much appreciated and no, not judgey at all @Nana Trish.

@Jen581791 you make a good point about the nerves not being healed and working properly yet so maybe not getting the sensation of full as quickly as it's happening. I do get to a point where I start to feel pressure I guess is the best way to describe it and I take that as being full. As soon as I get that feeling I stop and don't continue eating. 

I wasn't really given guidelines about what I SHOULD eat, other than make sure protein comes first, the information I was given was just that I wouldn't be ABLE to eat that much.

I spoke to the dietician yesterday who agreed it was a lot but said it was due to the length of time I take to eat. She suggested either speeding up, eating less at each meal and eating more frequently to get the protein in OR she was happy for me to eat that much over the longer time so it is easier to get fluids in (because at that size meal I'm only eating 3 meals a day) as long as I understand that over time I continue eating the same amount but the length of my meals should decrease so the size of my portions don't increase. 

I did check with her if she thought I could be damaging my pick at all and she didn't think so because of how long it takes me to eat. I've got a follow up with the surgeon tomorrow so I'll check with him too as to which approach he thinks is best. 

Edited by Loosing Lucy

On 12/31/2018 at 9:44 AM, Aussie Bear said:

Scrambled egg was one of the rare foods I couldn't do at all for a couple of months. Glad you can because it's a great protien source.

These days (I do eat really slowly) I've learned that once I get even an inkling that I'm full, whatever is left on my plate goes straight into the bin. I probably take around 30 minutes to eat a meal. 

I'm so glad I can eat eggs @Aussie Bear! It was the first non fluid thing I ate and I was soo happy they went down ok and I could eat them as an alternative to sweet shakes!

On 12/31/2018 at 7:13 AM, Res Ipsa said:

Thanks @Res Ipsa, it's nice to know that someone else was the same and it has been ok. Did you take long to eat your meals initially or were you able to eat them in a reasonable time from the start?

8 hours ago, Loosing Lucy said:

Thanks @Res Ipsa, it's nice to know that someone else was the same and it has been ok. Did you take long to eat your meals initially or were you able to eat them in a reasonable time from the start?

I try to avoid eating my meals very slowly.  A typical meal for me takes about 15-20 minutes. This has not changed since my surgery. 

@Loosing Lucy - do you get any other symptoms while you're eating? I ask because I'm a year and 3 months out right now and I still don't get a sensation of "full."  What I do get is:  Burping, hiccuping, runny nose/phlegm in throat.  The first tiny burp I feel is the last bite I eat, and sometimes that's still one bite too many.

At 2 weeks out I was still on mush - protein shakes, ricotta, yogurt, cheese, etc.  Scrambled eggs were far in my future, and even now I can't eat a whole one without feeling uncomfortable due to the symptoms I listed above.  That said, you're fine!  Some people can eat more than others, some can eat different foods than others.  It's all very individual, but as long as you're losing weight and not eating a bunch of carbs/trigger foods, you're fine. 

Also, just to warn you, many people (not all, but many!) have a weight loss stall at somewhere around 3 to 6 weeks.  That's just your body sorting itself out - it's super common, and doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong or that your surgery didn't work.  The dreaded stall can last a few weeks, so don't get discouraged!!

On 1/1/2019 at 9:55 AM, Kio said:

ng Lucy - do you get any other symptoms while you're eating? I ask because I'm a year and 3 months out right now and I still don't get a sensation of "full."  What I do get is:  Burping, hiccuping, runny nose/phlegm in throat.  The first tiny burp I feel is the last bite I eat, and sometimes that's still one bite too many

Same with me, @Kio...I still get the hiccups/burping, and I know I’ve overdone it if I get the runny nose and phlegm (or foam!!) It doesn’t happen a lot any more with the foamies, but once in a while it will. I will be chewing that last bite, start getting foam, and I go and spit that last bite out. It usually only happens with super dense proteins now.

How did your follow up appointment with your surgeon go, @Loosing Lucy?

2 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

Same with me, @Kio...I still get the hiccups/burping, and I know I’ve overdone it if I get the runny nose and phlegm (or foam!!) It doesn’t happen a lot any more with the foamies, but once in a while it will. I will be chewing that last bite, start getting foam, and I go and spit that last bite out. It usually only happens with super dense proteins now.

I’m six years out and still don’t really ever feel full, which can be frustrating because it’s easy to eat a wee bit too much and wind up feeling really uncomfortable. The amount it takes to get there varies depending on what the food is, what time of day it is, and probably which way the wind is blowing. 

5 minutes ago, Adventureland said:

it’s easy to eat a wee bit too much and wind up feeling really uncomfortable. The amount it takes to get there varies depending on what the food is, what time of day it is, and probably which way the wind is blowing. 

Ain't that the truth!!!!

1 hour ago, Adventureland said:

I’m six years out and still don’t really ever feel full, which can be frustrating because it’s easy to eat a wee bit too much and wind up feeling really uncomfortable. The amount it takes to get there varies depending on what the food is, what time of day it is, and probably which way the wind is blowing. 

@Adventureland, did you have the sleeve or bypass? I’m just curious...some foods (really dense proteins) make me feel full most of the time, but if I’m eating canned chicken with mayo, I feel like I could eat 6 ounces of it and probably still not feel full. I get the burping, etc, when I eat too fast as well as too much. Sometimes I eat plenty slow and a tiny portion and it will still happen, but not as often as before. 

1 hour ago, Nana Trish said:

@Adventureland, did you have the sleeve or bypass? I’m just curious...some foods (really dense proteins) make me feel full most of the time, but if I’m eating canned chicken with mayo, I feel like I could eat 6 ounces of it and probably still not feel full. I get the burping, etc, when I eat too fast as well as too much. Sometimes I eat plenty slow and a tiny portion and it will still happen, but not as often as before. 

Bypass. Sometimes quite unexpected foods make me feel overfull. Today it was blueberries with plain Greek yogurt. Earlier in the day, shrimp and broccoli had been just fine. 

I do get little burps sometimes but that can happen from the first bite depending on what I'm eating or how fast. I don't get any of the other signs you mentioned @Kio

Follow up with the surgeon went well @Nana Trish. He was ok with the portions i was eating after I told him what I'd discussed with the dietician re: taking longer to eat more now but speeding up to eat the same amount over time, not increasing portion size. He's pretty condescending about most things to be honest and doesn't ever tell you something is right but he also didn't tell me not to do that. I asked him if there was a risk to damaging my pouch by eating that way at all and he said no, everything is healing pretty well by now and he also adds a silicone ring around the pouch above the opening to slow emptying which he said would also protect the opening from any injury. He didn't seem at all concerned about the side seams and staple line. 

21 minutes ago, Loosing Lucy said:

I do get little burps sometimes but that can happen from the first bite depending on what I'm eating or how fast. I don't get any of the other signs you mentioned @Kio

Follow up with the surgeon went well @Nana Trish. He was ok with the portions i was eating after I told him what I'd discussed with the dietician re: taking longer to eat more now but speeding up to eat the same amount over time, not increasing portion size. He's pretty condescending about most things to be honest and doesn't ever tell you something is right but he also didn't tell me not to do that. I asked him if there was a risk to damaging my pouch by eating that way at all and he said no, everything is healing pretty well by now and he also adds a silicone ring around the pouch above the opening to slow emptying which he said would also protect the opening from any injury. He didn't seem at all concerned about the side seams and staple line. 

Im so glad your surgeon is on board!! It sounds like he is ok with what you’re doing! That’s a good thing!! Please keep us posted...I’m following your progress, my friend! Prayers and love to you!!