Recidivist

Drinking Water Post-Op

So, I'm a person who drinks LOTS of water in a normal day, and if I'm thirsty I can gulp down a whole glass in a few seconds.  Obviously, I won't be able to do that, and I'm concerned about getting enough water after surgery.  Do you have to basically have water with you all the time and sip it all day long?  What happens when you are someplace where you can't drink water for a few hours?

Yes, you always have water with you! I rarely leave my house without a water bottle. 

3 hours ago, Recidivist said:

So, I'm a person who drinks LOTS of water in a normal day, and if I'm thirsty I can gulp down a whole glass in a few seconds.  Obviously, I won't be able to do that, and I'm concerned about getting enough water after surgery.  Do you have to basically have water with you all the time and sip it all day long?  What happens when you are someplace where you can't drink water for a few hours?

Depends really. I drinks lots of water in one hit. I've had no trouble getting it in and can gulp down a full cup quite easily. Even got two pints down overnight the day I had my bypass. I hear it's tougher early out for sleevers though as the pyloric valve stops it just flowing through a very swollen pouch. In bypass the pyloric valve is bypassed.

Edited by Aussie Bear

For me, I can't gulp water, especially in big amounts (over a couple ounces). That would cause massive discomfort. I still can't drink a lot of water at once. I definitely drink way less than I did pre-op, but it's never been an issue. I do try to keep water handy, but it's not a big deal if I go a couple hours without drinking. But generally, you want to be sipping pretty regularly.

I've always been a gulper, and was a bit worried about this pre-op. Fortunately, I ended up being able to gulp again at 4-6 months out, which made me happy :) Not everyone can, but with RNY, you stand a good chance just because there's no valve to keep it from flowing right through, as @Aussie Bear mentioned. I can gulp a whole glass at one go.

That said, I couldn't in the few months after surgery, and I had to learn to keep a bottle with me at all times in order to get enough fluid in with just sips or small drinks. I've always had a water bottle around, so that wasn't too hard, but I really really carry one everywhere now (as do many Americans, I might add: that's how you can tell us apart from other nationalities when overseas! We're always carrying a water bottle). So now I just have that good habit and never have to worry about my water intake. 

I can't drink anything hot, though. It makes me barf. Same goes for hot liquid food, like soup. I have to let my coffee or tea cool down. I do OK with cold water, but I prefer room temperature now. I was always an ice-water person before (Americans!). 

I've never been a chugger or a gulper but have always been able to drink with no problem (around a cup full) as long as it's not colder than room temperature.

I was a gulper, and drank lots of water pre-op. I did have to learn to sip all day right after surgery. Once, in the first week, I accidentally swallowed a huge gulp of water after brushing my teeth out of habit. OOPS, and OUCH!!

I carry around a SST thermos that can have either ice water or warm tea. I have noticed lately (I'm now 10 months post-op) that I can gulp about 3/4 of a cup if I have to. Also if I forget to take my thermos, I'm okay. I still like the habit of sipping all day as it not only ensures I get enough liquids in, but it probably helps with hunger. I've read where alot of times we might think we're hungry, but we're really just thirsty. I've also read recently that the reason it's important that we drink water is because people get alot of required liquid from their food. Since we are taking in so much less food, we need to drink more water. That makes sense to me. 

I have found I can take the thermos ANYWHERE. This includes into a movie theaters, ball games, grocery stores, etc. I like to drink my drinks with ice, and I've also found that convenience stores are willing to give me free ice since I have my own cup. 

I was a gulper.  I could easily get 4 cups down.  Early post op it’s important to sip sip sip.  I took a shot glass (2 oz) set the timer on my phone for 15 minutes.  A straight 8 hours and I had my 64 ounces in.  Now, it’s no problem.  I can drink about 8 ounces at a time.  I do now carry a water bottle.  

Warning.  Some people have issues with really cold water.  I am not one of them.  I prefer iced cold.  I was warned pre op that I wouldn’t be able to drink cold water.   I don’t drink plain water, it needs non calorie flavors in it.  Tastes can and do change.  I never drank coffee, I do now and prefer it cold as well.  

If you drink too much it will cause discomfort and I have actually had it not go down and come back out my mouth...earlier out when I forgot.