Recidivist

Huge Doubts

I'm scheduled for RNY in February and have been researching like crazy in preparation.  As you all know, surgery is just a tool and we still have to strictly control food intake for the rest of our lives, as well as exercising regularly.  Sooo...I'm asking myself why I couldn't just adopt the post-bypass diet and exercise regimen and do this without surgery.  Did anyone have similar doubts?  Am I crazy?

1 hour ago, Recidivist said:

...... Sooo...I'm asking myself why I couldn't just adopt the post-bypass diet and exercise regimen and do this without surgery.  Did anyone have similar doubts?  Am I crazy?

I wasted 35+ years of my life yoyo-dieting my way up to close to 300 lb at one point and many of those diets were pretty much a post-WLS diet of lean meat and vegetables and salad.  I lost some weight but I couldn't stick with it and ended up heavier each time. 

The RNY gave me a reduced capacity and intolerance of some foods (sugars and fats) and that has kept me on plan.

27 minutes ago, cinwa said:

I wasted 35+ years of my life yoyo-dieting

30 years for me--so I definitely hear you.  I know in my heart you are right, and it's good to hear it from someone who has been through the surgery,

I’m with Cinwa.  How many times had I tried to do it on my own?  I’d failed every one of them.  This gave me a fighting chance to drop the weight.  It was up to me to keep it off.  If I could have done it on my own, I wouldn’t have had to have surgery.  This was my last chance at a normal life.  Use your first year to change your eating habits and lifestyle.  

I agree with Cheesehead and Cinwa. I did lose weight on my own through low carb, low calorie diets & sooooo much exercise...and gained it back each time. I honestly believe that mimicking the post-op diet doesn't have the same results as actually having the surgery and, realistically, isn't sustainable for the vast majority of non-WLS people long term. WLS is an incredible tool. For me, I need the physical restriction, but more than that, something about having the surgery changed my body and brain chemistry. Nearly 3 years post-op, I still don't have physical hunger sensations, weight loss post-op was the most effortless weight loss I've ever experienced (once I got past the initial healing stages) and maintaining is pretty easy thus far (nearly 3 years post-op). It's literally like a switch flipped in my body. I look at my friends who are doing everything "right" and struggling to lose weight, and I feel so bad for them because, even now, if I tighten up my diet, the weight will just fall off. I can't totally explain it, but the effects of WLS went far beyond the obvious physical restriction. It's truly the best decision I've ever made and the best gift I ever could've given myself.

8 hours ago, athenarose said:

I agree with Cheesehead and Cinwa. I did lose weight on my own through low carb, low calorie diets & sooooo much exercise...and gained it back each time. I honestly believe that mimicking the post-op diet doesn't have the same results as actually having the surgery and, realistically, isn't sustainable for the vast majority of non-WLS people long term. WLS is an incredible tool. For me, I need the physical restriction, but more than that, something about having the surgery changed my body and brain chemistry. Nearly 3 years post-op, I still don't have physical hunger sensations, weight loss post-op was the most effortless weight loss I've ever experienced (once I got past the initial healing stages) and maintaining is pretty easy thus far (nearly 3 years post-op). It's literally like a switch flipped in my body. I look at my friends who are doing everything "right" and struggling to lose weight, and I feel so bad for them because, even now, if I tighten up my diet, the weight will just fall off. I can't totally explain it, but the effects of WLS went far beyond the obvious physical restriction. It's truly the best decision I've ever made and the best gift I ever could've given myself.

I totally agree with @athenarose, as well as with @Cheesehead, and @cinwa  

My gastric bypass made it possible, even relatively easy, for me to lose all my extra weight and keep it all off thereafter.  I have never regretted having gastric bypass surgery.

Thanks everyone for your words of reassurance.  I think I'm just freaking out a little bit about the surgery, but I know it's the right thing to do!

2 hours ago, Recidivist said:

Thanks everyone for your words of reassurance.  I think I'm just freaking out a little bit about the surgery, but I know it's the right thing to do!

And freaking out is completely normal. I know I definitely had my moments of freaking out pre-op too. I think it's pretty common to have reservations before any big life change, especially when it's something "optional" like WLS.

@Recidivist

I don’t even have a surgery date yet, but I’m already freaking out! Every week or so, I have to take a few days off from reading/thinking about my WLS and new lifestyle requirements; it just becomes so overwhelming.

@Recidivist, it sounds like you need to be doing some reading that will reassure you that WLS is totally different from dieting. The changes in your digestive process, including restriction and malabsorption, but also hormonal response to eating (insulin, ghrelin, leptin, etc) are really really tangible things that make life post-op totally different. 

I am a strong-willed and determined person, easily able to follow dieting "rules" for extended periods of time. I have lost large amounts of weight many times in my life. And gained them back, plus more. Until WLS. Now I feel confident that I can keep it off because the crazy part of my brain that I think was actually digestive hormones mostly is just not activated by food or eating. It is a totally different life I lead now. Here's a link to a post with a bunch of articles on WLS. It might help you to focus on the ones that explain the (still mostly not understood) mechanisms for why WLS works when dieting doesn't. It's apparently fairly mysterious why it happens, but it does happen. Your body will be different.

Boston Redhead, I know exactly what you mean!  The more I read, the more overwhelming it all seems, and I start second-guessing myself because I'm doing this to myself voluntarily! 

Jen, thanks so much for the resources.  I have actually read and researched a lot, and I know intellectually that bypass works in a way that dieting alone doesn't.  I just get these recurring feelings of panic from time to time, and the reassurance of everyone here really helps!

Edited by Recidivist

I’m probably the biggest chicken.  I was terrified.  But I was even more terrified of what would happen to me if I didn’t have the surgery.  6 years later I’ve never had a regret.  It was full speed ahead.  I enjoy the simple things like bending over to pick something up or tie my shoes without holding my breath, fitting in an airline seat without taking up too much space.  Sledding with the grandkids, taking them to the park and sliding on slides and swinging.  I’ve learned to overcome fears and scuba dive.  I love clothes shopping;). For the first time EVER!