Sign in to follow this  
Recidivist

Lack of Variety in Diet

I'm a newbie scheduled for bypass in February 2019.  I'm aware that I have to eat small portions of protein-rich food, and I'm concerned that the limited options for healthy eating could get tedious over time and lead to temptation.  Does anyone have observations on that?

Not for me!

Early out (until you're cleared for all foods) our diet can be pretty limited and repetitive but once you're cleared for all foods, life pretty much gets back to normal - albeit a new normal.  My mantra in the early days was "it's just fuel".

The only difficulty I had was not being able to get meat down post-RNY and that has continued to this day.  Doesn't matter what or how I prepared it - sauce or not - it just sticks in my throat.  But fish and shrimp are fine which is just as well because I prefer that over meat anyway.  I just don't always want it for every meal so I still have a protein shake (made with milk) most days to keep up with my protein needs.

I do tend to eat similar things day in and day out, but I'm actually quite comfortable doing that. Since surgery food really doesn't have a lot of appeal to me anymore. Most of the time I eat for sustenance not pleasure, and post WLS that not such a bad place to be. I will mix up the meat, and change around my fruit and veg choices as the seasons change, but that's about the extend of my variety.

8 hours ago, Recidivist said:

I'm a newbie scheduled for bypass in February 2019.  I'm aware that I have to eat small portions of protein-rich food, and I'm concerned that the limited options for healthy eating could get tedious over time and lead to temptation.  Does anyone have observations on that?

Congratz on your upcoming surgery :)  I think along with the small protein-rich foods, you will find that your taste for certain foods will change.  The things you may like/crave now, you may not want anymore.  For me food is simply not the priority it was before.  Don't get me wrong - I still like food.  But my "Love Affair" with food is over.  I never got tired of the food repetition once I started to eat to live, and not to live to eat. 

We are here for you :)

Thanks to all of you!  Your responses really help.