Nana Trish

A couple of days ago

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

Double damn knee replacement. Seeing the surgeon on January 7th to schedule the right knee. They are both destroyed. More later guys ❤️

Just know sweetie that you've done everything....and I mean EVERYTHING....to be in the best place healthwise that you can possibly be to allow these surgeries to be a success. I've had  an endocrinologist,  a bariatric general practitioner,  and a surgeon, tell me I'm amazing! That my weightloss is a shining example of just what is possible, but they tell their patients not to expect because it's unlikely they'll ever get to a normal BMI after WLS. By transference, that makes you amazing as well.....along with pretty much every regular poster on this site. We all care about each other and support each other....unlike so many other sites where mediocrity seems to be the goal. Those of us that have reached or are closing in on "normal" BMIs are all stars of the process and have all worked our tools to the absolute best of their ability. Whether we realise it or not, we are organised, we are planners, and we follow through on or plans.

What I'm about to say isn't meant to be a scare story..... Although it is quite horrible. I know a woman who underwent VSG in January this year. Her whole goal was to get herself to a point where her orthopaedic surgeon would do her knee replacements.  That's all she wanted...her weight down to the magic number required by her surgeon. She started at 160kg (353lb), she was not compliant with her pre-op diet and was lucky to have her surgery proceed as planned. In 11 months she dropped to 120kg (265lb) and for reasons I don't quite follow her orthopaedic surgeon went ahead and performed her first knee replacement surgery just before Christmas. Most here in Australia won't do them until patient BMI is below 35. This woman chose a VSG because she didn't want to risk dumping syndrome....according to her she liked icecream too much to risk losing it from her life. Post surgery soft serve icecream was a staple of her diet, as were marshmallows....makes me nauseated just thinking about it....and yeah I'm being very judgey. She was "too busy" after her surgery to bother picking up her vitamins, so to this day has not been taking them. Christmas day she woke up in her bed with cellulitus weeping so badly her leg was stuck to her sheets. She is malnourished by her poor nutritionally lacking high sugar diet. She really didn't stand a chance!!!!

THIS is NOT you sweetie.

You've proven time and again that your health is a priority in your life. You will be compliant with the requirements after your surgery just as you have proven to be after your RNY. Your results alone prove that. You will do your exercises and you will be mobile again. When you start to feel sorry for yourself remember me...think about the months I spent home alone non-weightbearing. It was so, so, hard....but I took a relatively short term inconvenience to regain my mobility....and I did it!!!! YOU WILL TOO!!!! You are much stronger than I am, and I suspect even more determined than me. Sure you're going to be in pain for a while, but the end result will be the mobility you've dreamed about and worked towards for so long. I know it's been hard....but you are a star my distant friend....you have a level of resilience even you dont realise yet. Knee surgeries aren't the end of your journey, they are just part of the one you started long ago to a whole new life. My god when you get your mobility back you are going to be unstoppable!!!!!

Edited by Aussie Bear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

Double damn knee replacement. Seeing the surgeon on January 7th to schedule the right knee. They are both destroyed. More later guys ❤️

I know that this isn't the news you wanted to hear Trish but you can't continue the way you are.  You're a special lady and when the going gets tough, just reach out - we're all here for you.  t4614.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, cinwa said:

I know that this isn't the news you wanted to hear Trish but you can't continue the way you are.  You're a special lady and when the going gets tough, just reach out - we're all here for you.  t4614.gif

No, it’s not what I wanted to hear, @cinwa, but you are very right. Can’t keep going on like this. You guys always have been here for me, this is something I know as an absolute truth ❤️ 

I’m so sorry I’ve been so whiny the past few days!! I can’t handle pain like I used to, and I didn’t realize just how out of it I was until I reread some of my posts this morning. The prednisone is FINALLY giving me a little relief today! It doesn’t help that I’m off my other meds right now either...I will be back here in about an hour after my shower to respond to all of you lovely friends that always support me, no matter how much of a crybaby I’m being! 

Much love coming to you from Nana Trish!

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad to hear that the prednisone has helped a little Trish but don't ever feel that you have to apologise for opening up about the difficulties you're going through.  If it gives you one shred of relief to share your pain - that's a blessing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Aussie Bear said:

Just know sweetie that you've done everything....and I mean EVERYTHING....to be in the best place healthwise that you can possibly be to allow these surgeries to be a success. I've had  an endocrinologist,  a bariatric general practitioner,  and a surgeon, tell me I'm amazing! That my weightloss is a shining example of just what is possible, but they tell their patients not to expect because it's unlikely they'll ever get to a normal BMI after WLS. By transference, that makes you amazing as well.....along with pretty much every regular poster on this site. We all care about each other and support each other....unlike so many other sites where mediocrity seems to be the goal. Those of us that have reached or are closing in on "normal" BMIs are all stars of the process and have all worked our tools to the absolute best of their ability. Whether we realise it or not, we are organised, we are planners, and we follow through on or plans.

What I'm about to say isn't meant to be a scare story..... Although it is quite horrible. I know a woman who underwent VSG in January this year. Her whole goal was to get herself to a point where her orthopaedic surgeon would do her knee replacements.  That's all she wanted...her weight down to the magic number required by her surgeon. She started at 160kg (353lb), she was not compliant with her pre-op diet and was lucky to have her surgery proceed as planned. In 11 months she dropped to 120kg (265lb) and for reasons I don't quite follow her orthopaedic surgeon went ahead and performed her first knee replacement surgery just before Christmas. Most here in Australia won't do them until patient BMI is below 35. This woman chose a VSG because she didn't want to risk dumping syndrome....according to her she liked icecream too much to risk losing it from her life. Post surgery soft serve icecream was a staple of her diet, as were marshmallows....makes me nauseated just thinking about it....and yeah I'm being very judgey. She was "too busy" after her surgery to bother picking up her vitamins, so to this day has not been taking them. Christmas day she woke up in her bed with cellulitus weeping so badly her leg was stuck to her sheets. She is malnourished by her poor nutritionally lacking high sugar diet. She really didn't stand a chance!!!!

THIS is NOT you sweetie.

You've proven time and again that your health is a priority in your life. You will be compliant with the requirements after your surgery just as you have proven to be after your RNY. Your results alone prove that. You will do your exercises and you will be mobile again. When you start to feel sorry for yourself remember me...think about the months I spent home alone non-weightbearing. It was so, so, hard....but I took a relatively short term inconvenience to regain my mobility....and I did it!!!! YOU WILL TOO!!!! You are much stronger than I am, and I suspect even more determined than me. Sure you're going to be in pain for a while, but the end result will be the mobility you've dreamed about and worked towards for so long. I know it's been hard....but you are a star my distant friend....you have a level of resilience even you dont realise yet. Knee surgeries aren't the end of your journey, they are just part of the one you started long ago to a whole new life. My god when you get your mobility back you are going to be unstoppable!!!!!

Wow, @Aussie Bear, you just made me cry!! What amazing things to say about me ❤️ Thank you so much my dear friend! 

Before I say anything else, I have to tell you this. You say I’m much stronger than you? You have NO IDEA how strong YOU ARE! To have done everything you did with your foot, ON YOUR OWN...that takes real strength my friend!!! You had a seemingly impossible situation with your foot, surgery and months of pain. Immobility. I have no idea how I ever could have done that alone. I’ve been extremely blessed with the husband God sent to me, and I haven’t had to do any of it alone. They say you find out how strong you really are, when being strong is your only option. And I truly hope you can see your strength after everything you’ve been through. I’ve always admired how you’ve handled everything...from your revision, to your foot surgery, to the hypoglycemia episodes, and everything else. I’m lucky to know you, and have your support and love!! ❤️

The story about the woman you told is horrible. I can’t even begin to imagine having WLS to have knee replacement, only to do a half assed job just to get barely low enough to have my knee surgery, and then not even follow through! With any of it! That is very scary, you’re right. But it doesn’t scare me for myself, because I know that’s not me, and I’d never let that happen to myself :) 

When the ortho doc walked into the room, his nurse already had my X-rays pulled up on the computer screen. He came in, shook my hand and introduced himself to me and hubby, then looked right at the screen. He shook his head, looked back at me and said “I might be able to understand knees this bad in someone your age if you were overweight, but you’re not...at all.” Lol. I said, “Oh, but I was!” We talked about the bariatrics and how much weight I’ve lost. He said that made much more sense. He said that he could try injections if I wanted, but it would be a waste of time in my case. And there is no sense in taking expensive, painful injections that won’t work and will only prolong my pain and immobility. So I’m trying to imagine what it’s going to be like to be able to straighten my legs! To walk, and I mean REALLY walk...work up a sweat and actually exercise! Chase Harper around the playground, and actually be able to keep up with him! It’s been so long, I really don’t remember what it felt like back in the days when I used to walk 5-7 miles a day...it’s hard to believe that I’m actually going to be able to do it again! But I’m going to...and hopefully sooner rather than later. 

And for once, I know I have done everything I can to put myself in the best position possible for these surgeries. It was truly amazing not getting that lecture about needing to lose weight!! I know there will be pain afterward, but that doesn’t scare me. Everyone says the post op pain is nothing compared to what the arthritis causes. I say bring it on!! I’m going to be ready!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cinwa said:

I'm glad to hear that the prednisone has helped a little Trish but don't ever feel that you have to apologise for opening up about the difficulties you're going through.  If it gives you one shred of relief to share your pain - that's a blessing.

Thank you, @cinwa ❤️ I guess I’m not so much apologizing for opening up, but for being a drama queen about it these past few days. Being completely exhausted because of all the festivities, on top of the pain, just wasn’t a good combination for me this past couple of weeks. Pain is less today, I’ve had a nice, hot shower, and I just had a nice protein packed brunch. I’m getting Mr. Harper back in about an hour, and I have to see my PCP this afternoon. I’m feeling much calmer today, and it’s all thanks to you guys being here for me!! You guys are simply the best ❤️❤️❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

Wow, @Aussie Bear, you just made me cry!! What amazing things to say about me ❤️ Thank you so much my dear friend! ❤️ 

I’m trying to imagine what it’s going to be like to be able to straighten my legs! To walk, and I mean REALLY walk...work up a sweat and actually exercise! Chase Harper around the playground, and actually be able to keep up with him! It’s been so long, I really don’t remember what it felt like back in the days when I used to walk 5-7 miles a day...it’s hard to believe that I’m actually going to be able to do it again! But I’m going to...and hopefully sooner rather than later. 

And for once, I know I have done everything I can to put myself in the best position possible for these surgeries. It was truly amazing not getting that lecture about needing to lose weight!! I know there will be pain afterward, but that doesn’t scare me. Everyone says the post op pain is nothing compared to what the arthritis causes. I say bring it on!! I’m going to be ready!

Thanks Trish for your kind words as well. I know that I'm strong enough to hold things together in a crisis...it's just once the immediate crisis is over I fall down in a messy blubbering help!!

The walking again after years being immobile is very surreal. I knew I needed to start walking again when my CT scan showed the bones in my foot had become osteoporotic from disuse. That was an outcome I wasn't anticipating as a result of my compliance to treatment. I won't lie to you, I was terrified of walking any real distance again. I could manage it around the house and yard, or from the car into the shopping centre etc., but the thought of putting on my running shoes and just heading down the road away from my house terrified me. One day I just decided to do it. I checked I had my phone in my pocket and enough cash to get a taxi home (no ubers in my town) and off I went. Haven't really stopped since although I'm not walking 5-7 miles by any stretch of the imagination. Believe it or not, even 15 months on I'm still in healing stage. The osteoporosis in my foot bones actually causes pain and swelling when I walk (and for a long time afterwards), but walking is the only way to make the bones stronger. I guess I'm once again taking short term pain for longer term gain.

You're going to do fine, and I know your hubby is going to take great care of you through the process. So chin up my friend....onwards and upwards you go!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Aussie Bear said:

You're going to do fine, and I know your hubby is going to take great care of you through the process. So chin up my friend....onwards and upwards you go!!!!

Yes.  It's all going to be fine.  You have come way too far to let anything stop you.  You'll be changing Harper this year, and probably running the Boston Marathon in a few years (with all of us cheering you on)!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Res Ipsa said:

Yes.  It's all going to be fine.  You have come way too far to let anything stop you.  You'll be changing Harper this year, and probably running the Boston Marathon in a few years (with all of us cheering you on)!

Did you mean chasing Harper, @Res Ipsa? Lol! No marathons in my future, but I'm hoping to be walking toward you and the other Bostonians at next year's TTF get together with no assistance!!! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Nana Trish said:

Did you mean chasing Harper, @Res Ipsa? Lol! No marathons in my future, but I'm hoping to be walking toward you and the other Bostonians at next year's TTF get together with no assistance!!! 

 

Yes, I meant chasing not changing.  Sorry.:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Nana Trish, I really hope things settle down for you and allow you to live in a peaceful state soon! My very best wishes and big hug :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You look so nice and happy and your grandson is a doll.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jen581791 said:

@Nana Trish, I really hope things settle down for you and allow you to live in a peaceful state soon! My very best wishes and big hug :wub:

Me too, @Jen581791!! Thanks!! Hugs ❤️❤️❤️

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tracyringo said:

You look so nice and happy and your grandson is a doll.

 

Thank you so much, @tracyringo :) We think he is a keeper, lol!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2018 at 12:00 AM, Nana Trish said:

I’ve been told that this surgery is life changing, and I pray they are right, Miss @TammyP

Thsnk you so very much for your prayers, my dear friend!!

Although I am sorry that you need knee replacement surgery, I hope that this surgery will give you the normal mobility and lifestyle that you so richly deserve.  Some people even run marathons after knee replacements.:)

You are in my prayers and best thoughts.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, @Res Ipsa! I hope I can get normal mobility after surgery too. I can’t even imagine what that will be like, and I can’t wait to find out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now