Beaglelover

Regaining now after 4 years - sleeve

I'm so disappointed in myself. I lost so much weight and kept it off. And then I just lost focus and I got on progesterone for menopause and I started regaining. I am now 25 pounds heavier than my lightest weight since surgery. I am 13 pounds above my original goal. 

I feel like I have no restriction left at all. I am so of course and when I see the numbers climbing on the scale it's so depressing and I feel helpless. 

I cant go back to my original surgeon because o switched health insurance. 

I have gone through major life changes, trauma, grief, illnesses and loss in the past four years. I just don't know what to do. 

If I get my sleeve redone is it just going to stretch out again in 4 years? 

How do I get over feeling like a helpless failures and get back on track? 

Thank you. 

You are not a failure!  And you are definitely not helpless.  The best way to start feeling in control again is to take control.

While revision surgery is an option, the most important factor is going to be what you put in your body.  I would suggest going right back to basics - what you did when you had your surgery four years ago.  Do a week of protein shakes and soft foods, low calorie, low carb - and see if that helps you recalibrate your appetite and any cravings.  It may also help you get your sense of restriction back.  Then re-evaluate your diet.  Are you eating too often?  Too many carbs?  Too many calories?  Are you getting enough fluids/water/protein?  All of these will have an impact.

I am sure regaining at all is scary - I'm still losing, and still afraid of regain!  But look at this with some perspective - 13 lbs over your goal is not a lot.  You are nipping this thing in the bud!  And it's the end of one year and the start of a new one - a perfect time to evaluate your choices and dedicate yourself to making better ones. 

I would also suggest sticking around here regularly and reading, posting, participating.  It's an amazing way to keep your mind in the game.  Best of luck!!

Its frustrating because I went so long without cravings and now I have so much head hunger. It also feels like instead of my stomach feeling hungry, my small intestine feels really empty. Is it possible that my brain rewired and now senses when my small intestine is empty? 

23 minutes ago, Beaglelover said:

Its frustrating because I went so long without cravings and now I have so much head hunger. It also feels like instead of my stomach feeling hungry, my small intestine feels really empty. Is it possible that my brain rewired and now senses when my small intestine is empty? 

Hi neighbor, I have found the more carbs I have the harder it is to resist. I go back and forth with the head hunger. Thanksgiving was a tough one, the whole week was spent with family and food was everywhere !!  I gained 8 lbs and put myself on a 5 day re set and that seemed to do the trick.  No regain for me over this Christmas Holiday thank goodness.

I agree with Kio 13 lbs over your original goal is minimal considering you say you lost a lot after the surgery and you have kept it off for a good period. Get back to basics and come here daily for support.  This is a great place to get to goal and stay at goal.

Thank you. I am considering getting plastics after I get back to goal. I think part of my issue is I worked so hard to get here and I still cringe when I see myself in the mirror. 

I'm single now and I'm afraid of even having sex, afraid a man will lose interest when my clothes come off. I always said I would never do plastics but even at below goal I feel flabby and over weight. 

Maybe it's all in my head and I'll never be happy with how I look? Maybe I need to get work done on my brain. I just hate that everything is sagging and dropping. 

Progesterone is the bloody devil. I had to take it when I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer until they could schedule my surgery (the hold up was Christmas/New Year theatre closures). Lasted all of two days before hubby threw them out....  Said it was defcon 2 at our house and he wasn't about to put up with it getting any worse....hahaha!!!! I can't even imagine taking it for any length of time. Menopause was much easier than that stuff!!!!!

Good luck. Certainly not worth thinking about revisional surgery for just a few pounds. I think you may find getting on the straight and narrow diet-wise again is all that you'll need....of course that's easier said than done when you have that particular drug doing a job on your head. Going into a very negative headspace is unfortunately par for the course.

Progesterone actually improves my mood and helps me to feel calmer. I think if you had to take a lot of it for cancer you would have an imbalance but right now I feel like I'm where i need to be. I have noticed my breasts are fuller which is nice. 

19 hours ago, Kio said:

You are not a failure!  And you are definitely not helpless.  The best way to start feeling in control again is to take control.

Kio, such great words of wisdom. 

@Beaglelover, you are years out farther than me, but I really think you could use the support of those who are a little closer to their surgery dates - 13 pounds above your original goal is really not the end of the world. It's a waking-up place. Firm proteins. Shakes. Anything to get you to a place where you feel like YOU are in control of your actions. My plan after next week is to get back on the low carb wagon again (I've been indulging quite a bit during the holidays and need a little reset). Let's do this. 

There is a saying, what you eat today you crave tomorrow.  Knock off the carbs, dense proteins first, shoot for 4 ounces.  Try it a week, see where you are then.  Take things day by day.  Get re focused.  You just need to get redirected.  Get the junk out of the house too.  You can do it!  It’s easier than you think!  Just think it’s not 100 pounds!  

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 3:41 PM, Beaglelover said:

Thank you. I am considering getting plastics after I get back to goal. I think part of my issue is I worked so hard to get here and I still cringe when I see myself in the mirror. 

I'm single now and I'm afraid of even having sex, afraid a man will lose interest when my clothes come off. I always said I would never do plastics but even at below goal I feel flabby and over weight. 

Maybe it's all in my head and I'll never be happy with how I look? Maybe I need to get work done on my brain. I just hate that everything is sagging and dropping. 

Yes the after does suck for some of us.  I remind myself that I would rather be here, then back there.  If I were younger I might have more of a hang up about it. I don't have the dread of going in public and being starred at because of my size. There are so many more pluses than that one negative for me. But damn, I hate these bat wings, lol.

19 minutes ago, Beaglelover said:

I started keto on Friday and I've lost 3 pounds! 

You still have your sleeve and obviously, it still works.  Congratulations on getting back to basics and dropping that first 3lb.