Bev7o9

3ks to go- What do you wish someone had told you?

Hi all, i am due to have a Gastric Bypass in 3 weeks, I'm wondering what insight people can give me, what do you wish you had know before hand?  Any tips for the first few weeks?

Thanks in advance

Bev

Bev,

I had my gastric bypass many years ago, and I have never regretted having it.  No even once.  The surgery allowed me to lose all of my excess weight and to keep it all off once I reached my goal weight.  Perhaps even more importantly, at my lower weight I feel healthy, active, energized and just more alive.  

The key thing about the surgery is that during the first few weeks and months after the surgery you will need to follow a special diet - high in lean protein - and drink lots of liquids.  During this time - as the pounds fall off of you like water off of a roof in a rain storm - you should and must develop a more healthy relationship with food.  You will come to realize that food is fuel that your body needs to be healthy - food should not be a source of comfort, joy or solace.  I do not miss my prior unhealthy diet, as I love my life at my goal weight.

The first couple of weeks after surgery can be rough, but it gets a lot better.  You should have been given a post-surgery diet plan, but if not here is one from one of the best hospitals in Boston (USA):

https://www.tuftsmedicalcenter.org/-/media/Brochures/TuftsMC/Patient-Care-Services/Departments-and-Services/Weight-and-Wellness-Center/GBP-Diet-Manual12611.ashx?la=en&hash=29F5FC8CE082A84BBD66A46335C50C23B8042A29

We are here to support you.  

Hi, thank you for your reply. I cant wait to be healthy again! I have had 2 knee surgery's during the last 18 months and this has made my weight an even bigger issue. I couldn't exercise  and this made me put on more weight which made the knee struggle to recover, i have been told by my physio if i don't lose weight i could become permanently disabled. 

I know it wont be easy at first, i have been told fluids only and 70 g of protein a day for the first 2 weeks. I have noticed all protein drinks are sweet which might be hard for me as ive never been a sweet person and fear i will miss something savory. 

Its nice to have people to talk to who have been through the same thing.

Bev

10 minutes ago, Bev7o9 said:

Hi, thank you for your reply. I cant wait to be healthy again! I have had 2 knee surgery's during the last 18 months and this has made my weight an even bigger issue. I couldn't exercise  and this made me put on more weight which made the knee struggle to recover, i have been told by my physio if i don't lose weight i could become permanently disabled. 

I know it wont be easy at first, i have been told fluids only and 70 g of protein a day for the first 2 weeks. I have noticed all protein drinks are sweet which might be hard for me as ive never been a sweet person and fear i will miss something savory. 

Its nice to have people to talk to who have been through the same thing.

Bev

Bev - check out Amazon for unflavoured protein powder - a bit of an oxymoron because they all have a taste to some degree or other but you could use that in broths and soups or whatever which will help with your recovery.

Make sure to get up and move as soon as you can after surgery.  Stay hydrated.  I had an easy recovery.  Life is good on the losers bench..

7 hours ago, Bev7o9 said:

My favorite, which I still do because it's yummy:  A cup of hot chicken broth made with Better than Bouillon, Roasted Chicken flavor.  It comes in a jar, sort of like a chicken gel (which sounds gross, I know) but you just pour hot water over it and stir. It helps with the need for savory, and is basically just hydration with protein and fat.

When you get to the soft foods stage you can mix it with plain yogurt.

Like you, I'm not fond of sweets all the time!

Edited by Kio

Welcome and best of luck! You have so many amazing things to look forward to! 

I know I had read that it gets easier as time goes on, but I really remember in the first weeks/months out feeling like my diet was really limited and I was tired all the time, and feeling a bit desperate about that. It really really does get easier. On a daily basis now, I really don't notice much that I've had WLS in terms of my lifestyle and behavior. I can basically eat anything I want (with a few exceptions) although I generally stick with healthy stuff, and all the lifestyle changes I've made are really just habits now (exercise, very little alcohol, very few sweets, pretty low carb, eating slowly, chewing a lot, not drinking with meals, monitoring what I'm eating in general). They're really ingrained now so they don't feel at all like a burden, just a routine. I just feel like I'm taking care of myself, not like I'm having to follow rules.

It's not really that I wish I had known this, because I know people told me this would happen, but I wish I had actually believed it, deep down inside. 

Edited by Jen581791

Start eating slowly, asap. That is one of the hardest for me to do on a regular basis, takes a while to break those old bad habits. So maybe find out which habit that you have, that if changed now, will make it much easier for you to adapt to post surgery. You got this ;)

On 12/20/2018 at 7:50 AM, Bev7o9 said:

Hi all, i am due to have a Gastric Bypass in 3 weeks, I'm wondering what insight people can give me, what do you wish you had know before hand?  Any tips for the first few weeks?

Thanks in advance

Bev

Hi Bev, I just had my gastric bypass surgery on Monday. Not much pain after the first few hours and even that just felt like a bad stitch in one spot. Eased of as soon as I started walking. 

The biggest thing I've struggled with this week is getting enough protein in. The first few days it felt like I was swallowing a ton of air with the associated pressure after every mouthful. At first i thought it was just normal due to restricted space and swelling. Then i realised that all my protein was dairy based and i have become somewhat lactose intolerant (not uncommon apparently) which was causing A LOT of extra bloating. I tried unflavoured protein powder in other things but found i had to use a hand blender to get it to mix properly which in turn added a ton of air to the drink and again caused bloating (plus they do change the taste no matter what they say!). So lacteeze has become my best friend,  no more swallowing air feeling and bloating, yay! And getting my fluid and protein in is becoming much easier... still only getting 35-40gm a day but working on it and hopeful today will be better. I'm almost feeling normal again other than the constant preoccupation with getting water and protein in!

Good luck with your upcoming surgery,  you'll be fine and the payoff will be absolutely worth it!

10 hours ago, Loosing Lucy said:

Hi Bev, I just had my gastric bypass surgery on Monday. Not much pain after the first few hours and even that just felt like a bad stitch in one spot. Eased of as soon as I started walking. 

The biggest thing I've struggled with this week is getting enough protein in. The first few days it felt like I was swallowing a ton of air with the associated pressure after every mouthful. At first i thought it was just normal due to restricted space and swelling. Then i realised that all my protein was dairy based and i have become somewhat lactose intolerant (not uncommon apparently) which was causing A LOT of extra bloating. I tried unflavoured protein powder in other things but found i had to use a hand blender to get it to mix properly which in turn added a ton of air to the drink and again caused bloating (plus they do change the taste no matter what they say!). So lacteeze has become my best friend,  no more swallowing air feeling and bloating, yay! And getting my fluid and protein in is becoming much easier... still only getting 35-40gm a day but working on it and hopeful today will be better. I'm almost feeling normal again other than the constant preoccupation with getting water and protein in!

Good luck with your upcoming surgery,  you'll be fine and the payoff will be absolutely worth it!

After my gastric bypass surgery I had a short period of being lactose intolerant, but it went away after about a week. So do not assume that your lactose intolerance will be long lasting. 

8 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

After my gastric bypass surgery I had a short period of being lactose intolerant, but it went away after about a week. So do not assume that your lactose intolerance will be long lasting. 

That's nice to know,  thanks. Hopefully it will be the same for me. I do like dairy and such a good source of protein. 

8 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

So did I but mine lasted for over 2 years.

So day 2 of my 2 week pre op diet and i am starving! any tips to keep the hunger at bay? I'm doing 2 meal replacement shakes and one meal but i feel weak with starvation.

Bev

Bev - drink as much fluid as you can (especially hot ones - they're more soothing to a grumbling tummy) and try to keep focused on your goals.  Truly, it will be worth it in the end.