Jlipp

Nervously waiting

12 more days(Dec 31)  until my major life changing VSG surgery! Scared to death! nervous as hell!! . but looking forward to all the wonderful changes my body and life will be expierencing! I’m deathly afraid of the pain after, the losing of my hair, and the extreme amount of sagging skin I’m going to have. I wouldn’t be lying if I tell you I keep having conversations with myself questioning my decision to do this, because I know I could probably do this on my own. But I also have the same conversation with myself about how many times I’ve lost 30-50 lbs on my own and then couldn’t go any further. Gave up and came back to heavy. So this is it for me! 2019 is going to be all about me! 2009 I lost my 24 yr old son and 2017 my mom. They both wanted to see me healthy. They never did. I'm 63 yrs old 5’9” 305. Heaviest 325. So now with my determination and their heavenly guidance.... here we go! 

The nerves are normal Jlipp - I would be lying if I said they weren't.

I was in my 50's when I had my WLS and like you, I managed to lose a few pounds but ultimately caved in and ended up right back where I started (plus a few extra pounds for good measure).

I have not had one minute of regret about my decision to go forward with WLS.  It gave me a life that I had only imagined.

Yes, @Jlipp, the nerves are completely normal. And they can be pretty convincing when you’re trying to talk yourself out of having your WLS, because they use your fears against you. I put my surgery off for probably 10 years because I was afraid of the loose skin. And those 10 years could have been enjoyed, instead of suffered through, if I had done it sooner. 

I had gastric bypass surgery, at 50 years old. I have loose skin. You can’t even tell when I’m wearing clothes. It’s no where near as bad as I thought it was going to be, and I’m 5’ 6” tall and was 348 pounds at my heaviest recorded weight. Most days, I don’t even THINK about the loose skin anymore. It’s that insignificant compared to how good I feel and all of the things I can do now that I’d never be able to do at 336 pounds...including being here to watch my grandson grow up. And actively being able to play with him is more of a blessing than even I could have imagined! 

Hair grows back, you can conceal loose skin...and in my personal situation (after bypass) I had no pain. None. The worst of it was discomfort that felt like I had done a bunch of sit ups, but pain wise, that was it. The post op nausea was pretty bad for me, but I didn’t need so much as a Tylenol. Only nausea meds. If you do experience pain post op, they have meds to give you to control it. My experience here on the forum is that more often than not, post op pain isn’t a huge problem for most people. And what you will get in exchange for any pain you may feel post op, it’s 1000x better life...the ability to sit in any chair you want (even a booth, lol), only needing to buy one airline ticket when you fly, being able to go to amusement parks and fit on any ride, putting your shoes on without almost passing out...the list goes on forever!

Dont let your fears talk you out of doing something that is going to make you feel so much better, and add years to your life!!

I'd be more worried if you weren't nervous at all - you're making a big lifestyle change and you don't know where you'll be in a year, and those are some pretty normal things that can lead to some anxiety. In the meantime, focus on all the amazing changes you'll experience. There's so much positive to look forward to. For me, any downsides have been absolutely drowned out by the positives. Best of luck as you approach the big day. 

Exciting and much thinner days lay ahead for you!  I have never regretted having weight loss surgery.

I look forward to welcoming you to the losers bench.

On 12/19/2018 at 6:09 AM, cinwa said:

The nerves are normal Jlipp - I would be lying if I said they weren't.

I was in my 50's when I had my WLS and like you, I managed to lose a few pounds but ultimately caved in and ended up right back where I started (plus a few extra pounds for good measure).

I have not had one minute of regret about my decision to go forward with WLS.  It gave me a life that I had only imagined.

So so thankful!! Your response and others has really helped me!! I am going forward with VSG and my new life!! Thanks! 

On 12/20/2018 at 3:55 AM, Res Ipsa said:

Exciting and much thinner days lay ahead for you!  I have never regretted having weight loss surgery.

I look forward to welcoming you to the losers bench.

Thanks for all the support! I really need it! 4 more days!! So new year...new life! Looking forward to coming to the losers bench! I hope I’m responding to the right one. I’m a little confused on this sight how to do some things. Lol. 

So 4 more days. I was almost going to cancel this VSG. But reading all your responses has given me the motivation and the drive to move forward! I’m healthy (on paper) as my dr says and I have one if the best surgeons...dr Callery! He’ll do his job and I’ll do mine. Thanks for all the encouraging words! Muah! 

Best wishes for a safe and successful surgery. Your starting stats are very similar to mine....although mine are in kgs rather than pounds....check my signature for the conversion.  The only thing that will stop you reaching your goal is yourself. Stay strong and you'll go the distance. That would be very unlikely without the surgery....remember that when the doubt and the nerves kick up....and they will over the next couple of days.

Welcome!  I had thick, very short hair at the time, I never noticed any loss.  Stay on top of your protein and biotin has some who swear by it.  Pain?  I was scared to death of the pain, i had a very easy recovery.  In fact I was bored at the hospital and at home.  I went back to work early.  I put on a large super bowl party 11 days out from surgery.  

At my age, I’m not going to wear a bikini, and most people look better with clothes on anyways.  I wear burmuda shorts in our 3 months of summer (covers my wrinkly thighs).  , my upper arms don’t bother me.  My chest firmed up and a good bra helps.  

Im healthy.  I can do things I couldn’t before (sledding with the grandkids, scuba diving).  Life is good.  (I told myself in the operating room that I could get up and run I was so scared). I’m so glad I didn’t chicken out.  Next year at this time you will look back and be glad you did it.  

Welcome and good luck tomorrow! It's fantastic here on the loser's bench! I just wish I had done it sooner. 

Don't fret about the panic voice. That is normal. Just try to concentrate on your logical mind and all the reasons why you are doing this, the research you did thinking about your choice, and your preparation. That will help quell your panicky thoughts. I remember thinking that I could always change my mind up to the minute of anesthesia if I wanted! :lol: 

Just remember, You are doing this for your future health. 

Check in with us afterwards when you can! We are all sending good thoughts and prayers! 

Will be thinking of you tomorrow.....when you begin the rest of your life, your healthy new life!

I'm warming up a spot for you on the losers bench Jlipp.