metamorphosister

Gastric Sleeve in T-10 days

Hello! Countdown until my surgery on 12/27.  I can say that I am a bit nervous.  I am tidying up my lose ends in my biz and around the house to prepare.  It's challenging being a parent to a 6 year old.  But setting aside time to prepare mentally for the big day. Look forward to talking this journey...but I am also scared.

Congrats !!  What a gift to give yourself for Christmas !!!

44 minutes ago, tracyringo said:

Congrats !!  What a gift to give yourself for Christmas !!!

And a gift to our loved ones.  

I truly believe that losing our excess weight makes us better partners and parents.  We often forget the impact our obesity has on those around us.

Yes. I am happy to take this path of my weightless journey.  Just worried right now. I have been on a weightless journey for years....success and failures.  I see my body as my mothers...who because of obesity has undergone so much surgery because of arthritis and other diseases. Knee replacements, back surgery, foot surgery.  I have osteoarthritis.  I see my future if I don't get this weight down.  I am doing this for my health and to have a beautiful future with my son and husband and family/friends. Thanks for listening.

Welcome and best of luck on the big day. It's coming up quickly! You're going to be amazed at all the positive changes you'll see - there are some things to get used to, for sure, but overall, I wouldn't trade it for the world. 

Hi and congratulations! Not long now. I completely understand the nerves,  I had my gastric bypass done yesterday so have been working through the nervousness for the last few weeks, especially as I have a 2 year old as well. @Cindy Lou Who gave me some very helpful advice and that was to listen to my logical brain,  not the panicky one. It helped,  a lot! Rather than let myself get caught up on the what ifs, anytime my brain started going there i would shut the thought down and concentrate on the reasons I was doing this and the benefits that would come from it. I'm pleased to say that I was actually quite calm and excited going in yesterday morning. And I'm feeling good so far today (fingers crossed it keeps on this way!)

Good luck with your surgery, you'll be fine and just keep thinking about all the positives that will come out of it!

Given your surgery is just after Christmas,  maybe take some time during the day ( while you watch others eat maybe) to imagine what Christmas day 2019 is going to look like. You will be a completely different person. In one year I went from the largest person at my family's Christmas table to the smallest. It feels great, I guarantee it.....and boy will next year's Christmas day photos look way better to you than this years will. It's a great time though to get before photos with after ones the following Christmas.  Best wishes for a smooth trip in and out of hospital. For the vast majority of people it goes without a hitch.

Thanks everyone! My birthday is December 24th and I feel like this is the best birthday present I can give myself.  I have only told a circle of friends and some family about the upcoming surgery.  My parents are aware, but I have decided not to share with some family including my in-laws who aren't very supportive.  My husband asked me when I would tell them and I am not sure if this is necessary right now.  They have not shown to be very supportive in other health situations...ectopic pregnancy and gall bladder surgery. And I think from that its best to surround myself with support and not naysayers.  Onward!

@Loosing Lucy Very happy you pulled through ok.  How are you feeling?  I have a 6 yo so he is more aware something will happen, but I haven't shared specifics.  We made sure he knows mommy will be going to the hospital but it is make mommy feel better.  And I asked if he could watch movies with me when I am relaxing at home.  He was all over that! 

25 minutes ago, metamorphosister said:

My husband asked me when I would tell them and I am not sure if this is necessary right now.

Definitely no need to tell anyone who's going to add to your stress at the moment. You may change your mind later, when you're reveling in your success, but also no harm if you don't. Your medical decisions are your business. Right now, you need to focus on all the positive results you're going to enjoy, including a longer, happier, healthier life.

31 minutes ago, metamorphosister said:

@Loosing Lucy Very happy you pulled through ok.  How are you feeling?  I have a 6 yo so he is more aware something will happen, but I haven't shared specifics.  We made sure he knows mommy will be going to the hospital but it is make mommy feel better.  And I asked if he could watch movies with me when I am relaxing at home.  He was all over that! 

I'll bet he was! Unadulterated mummy time in front of tv! I told my bub (here's nearly 3) that mummy was going on the plane and going to the hospital for a few days to make me better and then he and daddy would come on the big plane to join mummy. Made him a calendar with pictures don he can cross off each day and see when everything is happening too.

I'm actually feeling really good. Pain yesterday was intense but localised to one spot. Just felt like a bad stitch that wouldn't go away. Eased up once i got up and moved and has been fine since. Easier than a cesarean. Sipping water and shakes today and seem to be tolerating it ok. Plus all the oral meds they keep giving me!

I can totally understand you not wanting to tell your in laws if you don't think they'll be supportive. I was reluctant to tell my family as they can be very judgy and opinionated. I did in the end just in case something happened to me I thought it was only fair but I started the conversation with 'I'm going to tell you something,  if you can be supportive that's great,  if not you don't get to weigh in,  I have already made my decision and keep your opinions to yourself!'