KimR4444

Sleeve to bypass revision

Got released from hospital today, Wednesday. Surgery was Monday. Having a lot of stomach cramping. I’m sipping water and protein, walking, using spirometer.  TMI, also have had a couple loose bowel movements. No one at the hospital seemed concerned that liquid bothered me. I had a swallow test yesterday and all was well. Can anyone tell me how long this should go on? 

I don't know about the revision specifically, but my cramping and other issues got better within a few days.  Hope you're feeling better by now!  

I’m feeling better, thank you. It’s definitely different than the sleeve. Whole  new ball game. My GERD seems to be resolved though, hallelujah!!

Hi, Kim.  I'm having gastric bypass in February 2019.  I did lots of research about both sleeve and bypass, and I'm still not sure that I'm making the right decision.  May I ask why you decided to convert your sleeve to a bypass?  Thanks from a newbie!

8 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

Hi, Kim.  I'm having gastric bypass in February 2019.  I did lots of research about both sleeve and bypass, and I'm still not sure that I'm making the right decision.  May I ask why you decided to convert your sleeve to a bypass?  Thanks from a newbie!

I can answer that for you so you get a quick answer. Kim had uncontrollable reflux.

Yes. Very bad GERD. Also had a large hiatal hernia fixed at the same time. Knowing what I know now of course I wish I had the bypass to begin with. That said, everyone is different and there are no crystal balls. What does your surgeon think? Good luck with everything. 

Thanks Aussie and Kim!  The possibility of severe GERD was the thing that actually persuaded me to go with bypass, along with the fact that keeping weight off long-term seems to be better with bypass than sleeve.  My surgeon was relatively neutral and explained the pros and cons of each procedure, leaving the final decision to me.  (I wanted her to tell me which one I should do!)  She did not that there was a greater chance of complications with bypass than sleeve, which is why I was on the fence.