ashcashbananas

revision/conversion

Hey everyone.

I've moved away from where my surgeon is located. I had a VSG in 2015. I have been suffering from acid reflux/GERD very badly. My new PCP believes my iron is so low because of the extended use of Nexium.

I'm wondering if anyone thinks my insurance will help pay for a revision? Will a new surgeon in my new area agree to do a conversion to a bypass even though I had a different surgeon do the VSG?

I had BCBS of MI PPO when I had my VSG and now I have BCN of MI HMO. (still BCBS, right?) I'm wondering if they will help cover a revision if it is medically needed??

This really is a question for your insurer.  My understanding after a couple of years reading these kinds of posts is that some insurers cover "medically necessitated revisions",  some will only fund a first bariatric surgery (even if they didn't pay for the prior surgery)  while others won't fund any bariatric surgeries at all. Phone your insurer and ask. At the same time you can find out exactly what conditions they'll make you meet.