Jen581791

Finding my limits

Well, a voyage of discovery is always a good thing, right?

I went to a holiday party last night and decided to just see what would happen if I ate some goodies. I really really really stay away from sweets so I have no idea what they'll do to me or how much sugar I can handle. I had a little piece of pie (kid sized) at Thanksgiving and that was OK, so in the spirit of figuring my digestive system out...

At the party, I had mulled wine (fairly sugary), a little bite of cake, and 4 Christmas cookies. I know, #%$ was I thinking. Actually, I was thinking "Will this work out OK? Maybe it will!"

We ended up needing to leave fairly soon after I finished the last cookie. I had a mild case of dumping and just basic sugar shock, I guess. I made it home before I really crashed too bad, but boy did I feel like crap. 

My husband was like "I was thinking that wasn't a very good idea... but I thought you knew what you were doing." 

So this is a good preview for NEXT weekend, when I'm actually going to a Christmas cookie exchange party. Stupid idea but even when you're an expat in a non-Christmas-celebrating country, social life around the holidays is pretty Christmas focused, and participating is basically mandatory if you want to remain in people's good graces. I bowed out of the exchange last year ("I don't bake.") and it was a little weird for everyone.

So this year I'll bake and I'll go, and I will maybe have 2 cookies and no mulled wine, and I think I'll just try to escape without actually taking any/many cookies home with me.

It is a journey for sure...figuring out your new “system”!  I am glad i don’t dump but sometimes I wish I would so i could’t treat myself...haha!  My drug of choice at a party on Sunday night was snickerdoodles!  Ugh!  (They were worth it!).  

I hear you about the cookie exchange, sometimes you have to do something to feel “normal” so ppl don’t wonder why you’re so different...    you can take the cookies with you but dump them out so don’t eat them (at least i would have to!). Haha!

enjoy your holidays there! 

I'm sorry you had to go through that Jen but it's a blessing in disguise because at least you know that your RNY is still working and it is most definitely in charge.

I’m sorry you got sick, Jen :unsure:

In my experience, if I am trying something normally “off limits” or just something I really don’t eat often, I try one new thing at a time. Like I probably would have either had the wine or the cookies, but not both. I’m not saying that would have kept you from getting sick, or experiencing sugar shock. But for me, I would know for sure which goodies were the culprit, or it could have been the combo...or just the fact that you really don’t eat sugar and it did truly shock your system. So I guess I’m really no help here, am I...

I think your plan for the next party sounds like a good one. Good luck this time around...fingers crossed that you don’t dump or get sick this time around! :wub:

Oh, and if you do end up having to take some cookies home with you, freeze them and 1) Ship some home to friends/family, or 2) Shrink wrap them and store them in the freezer for a later date. They last a long time when they are stored like that :) 

Edited by Nana Trish

15 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

It is a journey for sure...figuring out your new “system”!  I am glad i don’t dump but sometimes I wish I would so i could’t treat myself...haha!  My drug of choice at a party on Sunday night was snickerdoodles!  Ugh!  (They were worth it!).  

I hear you about the cookie exchange, sometimes you have to do something to feel “normal” so ppl don’t wonder why you’re so different...    you can take the cookies with you but dump them out so don’t eat them (at least i would have to!). Haha!

enjoy your holidays there! 

Dumping is definitely a HUGE deterrent, but don’t wish that on yourself, ever...lol! 

Ive found that I can eat a cookie or two and I’m usually fine (by that I mean I don’t dump from just that)...but I get the jitters something horrible because my body is not used to the carbs anymore. I will still get hot flashes like I did when my diabetes was out of control as well, so I have to choose my indulgences wisely. Ice cream is another story entirely. I get dangerously ill when I eat it, so I can’t anymore. Like Jen, I did have a kid sized piece of pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving, and I was relatively ok. Cookies are a tough one for me though, because hubby makes the best cookies on the planet, and he’s starting a cookie business online...so there will be LOTS OF COOKIES IN THE HOUSE... :o

I hope you enjoyed your snickerdoodles ❤️

Good to figure out now! Not something you really wanted to do, but I guess it would've been worse. 

I've also been worried about social events between now and Christmas. I've pinned about a dozen sugar-free low carb (mostly keto friendly) cookie and sweets ideas to choose from to take to various parties. I still can't have any as I am still on liquids but then I get a chance to make something and know they are healthier than the other stuff people have. And if they dont like them I take them home and freeze them for when I get a hankering for something sweet in a few months. Lol

16 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

if you do end up having to take some cookies home with you,

I have hungry students who will be more than glad to eat some cookies. 18 year old boys are like bottomless pits! 

I had some puppy chow this week (cereal coated in chocolate, peanut butter and confectioners sugar) and didn't need dinner. It made me feel very weird!

High sugar and fried foods at first just make me feel really full but then gross...

We are always learning new ways to participate!