Boston Redhead

Cpap after surgery

One of the things I am looking forward to after surgery is getting rid of my cpap. I can’t stand it!

how does one know when it’s ok to stop using it (besides having the dr tell you)?

I think you should wait until your doc gives you the ok. I would imagine that they will either use the data from your machine if you have one that does this or ask you to do another sleep study or have your loved ones observe you while you sleep without it. My hubby has tried a ton of different devices, none of which worked. The only thing that does is the cpap and has refused to wear it for the same reasons I suspect you hate it. He has a number of other health issues that are impacted by weight too so his doc has recommended WLS. Despite my success with it, his fear of surgery is preventing him from moving forward. The cpap is something we argue about regularly and honestly, I'm terrified he's going to die in his sleep without it.

@Boston Redhead - I agree that you should work with your doctor to determine if/when you can drop the CPAP.  I had a sleep study a couple of weeks after it became impossible to use mine, and was cleared by my doctor.

Mine started making it harder for me to sleep instead of easier.  I was probably 3-4 months past my surgery and a total of around 75-80 lbs down, and my CPAP had started blowing my mouth open in my sleep.  The force of it was just too great, even when I had changed it to the lowest setting.  I would wake up several times a night in a blind panic because my tongue was so dry I couldn't even feel it, it felt like I was choking. 

At this point I've been CPAP free for about 9 months and it is every bit as lovely as you would expect.  Just the freedom to lie down on the sofa and take a nap with no preparation...it's amazing.

@Jabsie - If you think it will help, tell your husband this story. It's pretty scary, and it's what I tell anyone who thinks they can get away with just not treating their sleep apnea.  Don't read further if you think it will upset you...

My older brother refused to wear his CPAP.  It was uncomfortable he said, and he wouldn't ever get used to it - he decided that after a single night of trying it out.  So he just didn't use it. When he was around 50, he had a massive stroke that the doctors are sure was related to untreated sleep apnea.  He survived it... but was never the same after.  His ability to speak was severely affected and never recovered... he just couldn't force words out most of the time, and when he did, they were very raspy and hard to understand.  His ability to control his emotions was affected, and he would lash out at people in ways he never had before, and had extreme paranoia.  He was only able to walk in a shuffle, with the help of a walker.  He died at age 60, far too young, because he was no longer able to understand how to manage diabetes, or that it even needed managing.  Before he died, he lost most of one foot, and suffered many, many bad infections that required antibiotic infusions by a home nurse.  He died of diabetes-related kidney failure during dialysis. 

Sleep apnea is nothing to screw around with. 

10 hours ago, Jabsie said:

I think you should wait until your doc gives you the ok. I would imagine that they will either use the data from your machine if you have one that does this or ask you to do another sleep study or have your loved ones observe you while you sleep without it. My hubby has tried a ton of different devices, none of which worked. The only thing that does is the cpap and has refused to wear it for the same reasons I suspect you hate it. He has a number of other health issues that are impacted by weight too so his doc has recommended WLS. Despite my success with it, his fear of surgery is preventing him from moving forward. The cpap is something we argue about regularly and honestly, I'm terrified he's going to die in his sleep without it.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Kio said:

@Boston Redhead - I agree that you should work with your doctor to determine if/when you can drop the CPAP.  I had a sleep study a couple of weeks after it became impossible to use mine, and was cleared by my doctor.

Mine started making it harder for me to sleep instead of easier.  I was probably 3-4 months past my surgery and a total of around 75-80 lbs down, and my CPAP had started blowing my mouth open in my sleep.  The force of it was just too great, even when I had changed it to the lowest setting.  I would wake up several times a night in a blind panic because my tongue was so dry I couldn't even feel it, it felt like I was choking. 

At this point I've been CPAP free for about 9 months and it is every bit as lovely as you would expect.  Just the freedom to lie down on the sofa and take a nap with no preparation...it's amazing.

@Jabsie - If you think it will help, tell your husband this story. It's pretty scary, and it's what I tell anyone who thinks they can get away with just not treating their sleep apnea.  Don't read further if you think it will upset you...

My older brother refused to wear his CPAP.  It was uncomfortable he said, and he wouldn't ever get used to it - he decided that after a single night of trying it out.  So he just didn't use it. When he was around 50, he had a massive stroke that the doctors are sure was related to untreated sleep apnea.  He survived it... but was never the same after.  His ability to speak was severely affected and never recovered... he just couldn't force words out most of the time, and when he did, they were very raspy and hard to understand.  His ability to control his emotions was affected, and he would lash out at people in ways he never had before, and had extreme paranoia.  He was only able to walk in a shuffle, with the help of a walker.  He died at age 60, far too young, because he was no longer able to understand how to manage diabetes, or that it even needed managing.  Before he died, he lost most of one foot, and suffered many, many bad infections that required antibiotic infusions by a home nurse.  He died of diabetes-related kidney failure during dialysis. 

Sleep apnea is nothing to screw around with. 

Thank you, @Kio. I am sorry to hear about your brother’s struggles.

I looked at my sleep data (sleepyhead) and my stats are the same as before surgery so i know I'm not close to getting rid of it yet. Im 5 weeks out and lost 20 pounds. If you dont have sleepyhead you should install it and keep an eye on your sleep data to see how it changes with loss.

9 minutes ago, MeadowBlue said:

I looked at my sleep data (sleepyhead) and my stats are the same as before surgery so i know I'm not close to getting rid of it yet. Im 5 weeks out and lost 20 pounds. If you dont have sleepyhead you should install it and keep an eye on your sleep data to see how it changes with loss.

Thanks! My cpap comes with a dashboard I access online. I haven’t noticed any change post op, but I’m only 3.5 weeks out.

31 minutes ago, Boston Redhead said:

Thanks! My cpap comes with a dashboard I access online. I haven’t noticed any change post op, but I’m only 3.5 weeks out.

The data will not be very detailed with your machine. If you install sleepyhead it gives you a breakdown of every level. check it out https://sourceforge.net/projects/sleepyhead/

I had a CPAP machine for about 5 years and hated it too. (Used it every night, but hated it.) About 3 months post-op, about 40 pounds down, I tried one night without it and my husband said I didn't snore. When I asked my WLS surgeon about it, he suggested I wait until 6-9 months postop,, and then do the sleep study. That way I would for sure pass the sleep study. I thought that was good advice.