Sign in to follow this  
Boston Redhead

Anesthesia

Did anyone have an abdominal nerve block for WLS?

If I understand it correctly, they do a block of the ab nerves and something more like versed for a twilight sleep, which helps a great deal with recovery.

i have an appt with my surgeon (#5 of 6!) this coming week and will ask about it, but I’m curious to hear some feedback.

I had one for a hysterectomy.... it didn't work for me and caused all sorts of post-op issues. Worst idea I ever had.  It was at my suggestion after doing some research. Other peoples experiences may vary from mine but I'll certainly never suggest it again. I did have a nerve block for my foot surgery and that was fine, but it was done pre-surgery for post-op pain relief not anesthesia, I was still under a general for that.

I met with my surgeon today (#5 of 6!!) and he won’t do the surgery with a nerve block anyways.

i agree that it’s probably better for things like hand or foot surgeries....I had it for a carpal tunnel surgery and that worked well for me.

4 hours ago, Boston Redhead said:

I met with my surgeon today (#5 of 6!!) and he won’t do the surgery with a nerve block anyways.

i agree that it’s probably better for things like hand or foot surgeries....I had it for a carpal tunnel surgery and that worked well for me.

I'm not surprised to be honest. Too much to go wrong if they don't get exactly the right spots, and a waste of time for all the surgical staff when they have to put you under eventually anyway.