Kim M

Sleeve to Bypass weight loss

I had revision surgery on November 1 due to severe GERD.  I am 6 1/2 years post op and over the last year and a half had some regain,   I lost 30 pounds from Sept 2017 to February 2018 when recovering from bilateral knee replacement surgery.  I then gained it back beginning in May until my surgery.  

It will be five weeks on Thursday and I have lost 10 pounds.  I am losing and gaining the same pound for 2 weeks.  I am 100% following plan.  I have not quite got to 80 grams of protein yet. While this was not a WLS I did think I would lose some weight due to the limited number of calories I am taking in.  

What do you think?  Has anyone had a revision for weight loss and lost so little?  I realize the hormonal piece is gone so I did not expect to lose as someone who had Bypass as a WLS.  So many people talk about getting back on track and losing their regain.  Just curious.  TIA

I lost all my regain and more after my revision. It was slow going though as starting from a lower weight means there's less to lose than those who start at higher BMIs. Might be worth counting your losses as a percentage of your weight rather than actual pounds lost, and of course use measurements to get more positivity about your losses. Hang in there Kim, you'll get there eventually.

On 12/2/2018 at 6:57 PM, Aussie Bear said:

I lost all my regain and more after my revision. It was slow going though as starting from a lower weight means there's less to lose than those who start at higher BMIs. Might be worth counting your losses as a percentage of your weight rather than actual pounds lost, and of course use measurements to get more positivity about your losses. Hang in there Kim, you'll get there eventually.

Thanks for the encouragement.  I started to track my intake on My Fitness Pal on Monday I had 392 calories.  I met with the dietian yesterday and she wanted me to increase my food to include other things.  I was following plan.  I did yesterday and lost 1 1/2 pounds.  I have to say I felt too full by last night.  Maybe eating too little calories really slows my metabolism.  Being 63 and at this point not being able to exercise due to the nerve pain can't help.  I'm seeing the surgeon Friday,  I am having to get up by 4 am and take another PPI.  I have also reached my pain limit in bed by then.  Thanks for all your support.  Hope all is well with you.

Kim, I think probably your poor body thinks you're trying to starve it to death and is hanging on for dear life to every calorie just for healing and survival.  You have been through a major surgery with a complicated recovery and your focus right now is healing.  The weight loss will come, I believe, when you are able to fully follow plan with adequate protein, calories, fluid and some exercise.  It will likely be slow because you don't have that much to lose and we all know that it slows at lower BMI.

Take care, hope things improve for you!

The scale finally moved.  At the end of week 5,  I am down 17 pounds.  It feels good to lose some of these pounds of pain.  That's what my overeating has been about.  Still working on self regulation.  I guess I always will.  

As always thanks for all the support.  You all are so kind to an old timer.