LadyFLrebotTX

Researching sleeve to bypass (help)

Wow, I did not think this would happen. I have tired hard to obtain a healthy weight. I never complained about my GRRD, depression, hernia or other issues. Now, revision is needed. I still want to lose weight and be all around healthier. I am afraid that nothing will change. Equaling, I will be not be successful again. I have researched. Sometimes bypass does not make a difference? 

Help please. Thanks

There is a lot of negativity when it comes to results after revisional surgeries. I suspect a lot of it comes from those who revise because they didn't make the necessary changes to lifestyle after their original surgery, and still expect the revisional surgery to be a magic bullet. There are loads of people out there that still believe the surgery is all they need, despite all the education that is force fed before surgery. My surgeon doesn't do revisions on patients that don't meet the criteria of medical necessity and I understand why.

In your case a revision to bypass will resolve the GERD issue, it's an opportunity to fix the hernia if possible at the same time. For those two reasons alone it'll help you. For other issues though it may have no benefit whatsoever. Only you can decide whether a revision is right given your situation. You'll definitely lose excess weight during the initial post surgery months, but once the first few months are past, it's all on your choices. The honeymoon period is much shorter second time around, yet our individual expectations can be much higher. Fortunately like me, you aren't far from goal going into revision, so losing the rest of your excess weight should be a breeze...keeping the demons at bay once you have lost it will be the real battle ahead, and the actual surgery isn't going to help deal with them unfortunately. Get yourself some counselling if you aren't already, hopefully the road ahead will be easier for you this time.

Yep, I am in counseling and on depression meds. The last 4 years post-sleeve have been crazy emotionally/physically.

I just want to live a healthier lifestyle.  I am still down over 70 pounds. However, I have failed to reach my goals.  I have health issues. I am trying to do everything possible to feel better.  There is no "magic bullet" or simple solution. It will take a lifetime of continuous work.

1 hour ago, LadyFLrebotTX said:

Yep, I am in counseling and on depression meds. 

Sounds like you're ready to go then. I wouldn't worry about all the negative stuff in forums regarding revisions being not as good in the results as first WLS. You know what to do, and if you're ready and able to do it, then not only will it resolve your GERD, you will lose that last few pounds needed to get to goal. The worry with low BMI revisions (according to my surgeon anyway) is dropping too much weight. My BMI was just under 30 on my surgery day and believe me when I say my surgeon was watching me like a hawk afterwards to ensure I didn't drop more than he wanted me to.  He even had me eating purees and soft food in hospital the day after my surgery, and encouraged me on day 13 when I had my first post surgery check up to start eating anything I could tolerate....the earlier the better was his opinion. He still follows me closely and reacts very quickly if he sees my weight starting to drop again.

@LadyFLrebotTX How is your pouch after 4 years?  Have you done the 5 day reset ?  Just asking because I am curious as to how much restriction you still have ?

7 hours ago, tracyringo said:

@LadyFLrebotTX How is your pouch after 4 years?  Have you done the 5 day reset ?  Just asking because I am curious as to how much restriction you still have ?

There's a quicker and simpler way to check pouch size.....it's called something along the lines of the cottage cheese test. You do it first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything else. It involves filling up on cottage cheese as quickly as you possibly can, they say within 5 minutes to stop any passing through the pouch. The small soft curds won't damage your pouch and don't need to be chewed.....of course it needs to be something you can tolerate eating. Once full you simply measure the space left in the cheese container by filling it with water to its original fill line, tipping the water into a measuring container....and viola you have your pouch size.

It pays to remember though that it isn't the pouch size that determines your success moving forward....it's what you put into it, and in what order. I know my pouch hasn't stretched because my surgeon did an endoscopy recently...it's healed and therefore can hold more volume than when it was new and swollen. That said I can consume far more volume now if I eat my vegetables first rather than dense protien, and if I want to eat more I can also do that by washing down what I've just consumed with liquid. By following the rules though and eating dense protien first with no fluids for 30 minutes after eating, my pouch is just as restrictive as ever....it's my choice! 

On 12/1/2018 at 3:06 PM, Aussie Bear said:

There's a quicker and simpler way to check pouch size.....it's called something along the lines of the cottage cheese test. You do it first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything else. It involves filling up on cottage cheese as quickly as you possibly can, they say within 5 minutes to stop any passing through the pouch. The small soft curds won't damage your pouch and don't need to be chewed.....of course it needs to be something you can tolerate eating. Once full you simply measure the space left in the cheese container by filling it with water to its original fill line, tipping the water into a measuring container....and viola you have your pouch size.

It pays to remember though that it isn't the pouch size that determines your success moving forward....it's what you put into it, and in what order. I know my pouch hasn't stretched because my surgeon did an endoscopy recently...it's healed and therefore can hold more volume than when it was new and swollen. That said I can consume far more volume now if I eat my vegetables first rather than dense protien, and if I want to eat more I can also do that by washing down what I've just consumed with liquid. By following the rules though and eating dense protien first with no fluids for 30 minutes after eating, my pouch is just as restrictive as ever....it's my choice! 

I am going for more testing near the end of December. I have GERD and a hernia.  So far, I can't say that the thought of  another procedure is making me feel happy.  I do have additional hope! 

On 12/1/2018 at 7:25 AM, tracyringo said:

I still have a great deal of restriction. I haven't been the perfect sleeved person. However, I will never give up on working at being healthier.