Boho Rosy

Am I the only one that is FREEZING??

An unexpected consequence of losing 120 pounds is that I'm SO COLD! This is my first winter that my weight hasn't been in the vicinity of 300 in over a decade - I guess it makes perfect sense that shedding pounds would equate to shedding layers of warmth, but I never considered it. Not that I would go back to my pre-surgery self for a million dollars, but man. I am freezing!! Anyone else?

My first winter after WLS was brutal!

Mind you, I've always been susceptible to the cold but losing some padding made it a million times worse.  But 11 years down the road I find that it doesn't bother me half as much but I put that down to the fact that I'm far more active than I was as a puffy girl. 

I’m cold almost all the time. Literally, on my side of the bed, I have a heated blanket and two down comforters. My boyfriend sleeps with a single blanket that he doesn’t even use half the time. And that basically sums up my life. If it’s below 65, I’m usually wearing at least two layers.

YES! I have to wear gloves if I'm walking and it's under 50 degrees! My best friend since we were 10 years old has always been a skinny minnie and she has always been cold. So I take it as a happy consequence that I'm no longer hot all the time like I used to be! 

A year ago, before WLS surgery I always kept the house at 67 (!!!!!) because I was always so hot, that's were it was comfortable. I'm in Alaska so, long winter. Also I have a clip-on fan next to the piano that I play at church every Sunday, and used it every time I sat down there. 

Now one year after surgery, the house is at 72 in the winter and the fan at the piano never gets used by me.

I also bought a heated jacket to layer under my bigger jacket, because yes I am ALWAYS cold now.

Yes!  I point an electric floor heater at me.  I use a heated throw.  And layers of blankets!  I hibernate in the winter.  In the summer I come in and grab a sweat shirt when temps drop to 80.  Pre surgery I actually would keep the window open a crack by where I sit.  I can remember numerous times of having to thaw it out to close it by using a hair dryer.  The window in our bedroom was always open a crack.  I remember hubby putting on a hat and winter coat when the temp hit 48 IN our room.  Just think we don’t have excess sweat!

I wear layers and sweaters almost every day.  But it is so much better than being overweight and hot/sweaty.  

My first winter was terrible but that was pretty much immediately after surgery when my calorie consumption was much lower. Just coming out of my second winter. This past winter was far better, I suspect because I was in maintenance this time so calories were much higher. I'm not going to pretend I wasn't colder than two years ago when I was much heavier, but I was significantly warmer this year. I did still end up having to put an electric blanket on the bed and use a warmer quilt than before, but it really was much more manageable than my first winter.

I'm a little better now that my calories are higher, as @Aussie Bear said, but still I get cold when no one else is. I always have a shawl with me to keep warm - keep in mind that I live in the Middle East... that will tell you how susceptible I am to the cold! It rarely gets below 70F (20C) at night, even in winter.

And I sleep under three wool blankets because of the cold (AC induced). 

Edited by Jen581791
clarification

17 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

But it is so much better than being overweight and hot/sweaty.

YES

22 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

I wear layers and sweaters almost every day.  But it is so much better than being overweight and hot/sweaty.  

I spent this past winter (heading into summer now in Australia),  handknitting a couple of aran weight pure wool sweaters. I haven't knitted jumpers in decades, but now I'm a smaller size I can actually knit for myself again without it taking two years to finish. Wool is so much warmer than acrylic yarns, but where I live there isn't a chance of buying pure wool knitwear so I opted to make my own.

No, you are not alone....i figure we all must be in the same boat.  At least i can layer clothes on and keep warm, when I had the fat to keep me warm, I couldn’t take it off to cool down,  so i like something much less permanent!  Funny thing is I can get bulky sweaters and not worry that they will make me look fat!  If I look like a size L instead of a M just because I have a sweater and a bulky sweatshirt on, oh well, I don’t care! Haha

It happened to me immediately.  To this day it has never gone away and I am 61/2 years post op.   It had nothing to do with more insulation from the weight.  Cold all the time.  I too have a heated mattress pad and a heated blanket at work.  I have been wearing my down coat, scarf and gloves since the end of September.  I know I must look crazy but no matter how many layers I wear I am cold to the bone.  

15 hours ago, Kim M said:

It happened to me immediately.  To this day it has never gone away and I am 61/2 years post op.   It had nothing to do with more insulation from the weight.  Cold all the time.  I too have a heated mattress pad and a heated blanket at work.  I have been wearing my down coat, scarf and gloves since the end of September.  I know I must look crazy but no matter how many layers I wear I am cold to the bone.  

How are your iron levels, @Kim M?  I get severely anemic (have been my whole life, so it isn’t a result of the surgery) but i notice I can’t regulate my body temp when I am very low and i get freezing cold then.

53 minutes ago, CheeringCJ said:

How are your iron levels, @Kim M?  I get severely anemic (have been my whole life, so it isn’t a result of the surgery) but i notice I can’t regulate my body temp when I am very low and i get freezing cold then.

Iron levels have always been fine.  I never had to supplement with iron.  I asked the surgeon and he gave me the stock answer less fat.  However, it happened immediately so that can't be it. 

7 hours ago, Kim M said:

Iron levels have always been fine.  I never had to supplement with iron.  I asked the surgeon and he gave me the stock answer less fat.  However, it happened immediately so that can't be it. 

That IS weird that it was immediately. I don’t accept his answer either!  :)

I get much colder now than I did before WLS even in the LA "winter" where I live. My husband is from north east Canada and has pretty much worn shorts year round. The battles over the thermostat have escalated to epic proportions ;-)

I'm so cold, so constantly, that it's become a running household joke.  People try to guess how many pairs of fleece pants I'm wearing!!! (Answer:  ALWAYS more than one pair!)  My typical day is get up, exercise... which warms me up a bit.  Then shower, which makes me cold again (naked + wet = cold even when the water is hot!).  Then I put on a pair of fleece leggings, a pair of fleece-lined jeans or pants, a pair of sherpa-lined socks, a pair of sherpa lined slippers (yes, two layers of sherpa on my feet!).  Then a shapewear tank, a thin fleece top, and a big fleece cuddl duds top with a hood.  If I'm still cold (I usually am) I add a pair of fingerless gloves and a knitted cap. 

And that's what I'm wearing now, when it's mostly in the 30's and 40's fahrenheit.  Later in January and February, when it's regularly 0 degrees... I will probably just convert entirely to an ice statue. 

My housemates think it's the lack of fat layer, plus not eating many calories. All I know is it's NOT FUN!

Lol @Kio. I'm currently wearing cotton knickers and a sports bra and really fine singlet top. Tomorrow will be even hotter so might have to ditch the singlet and spend the day getting in and out of the pool.

That said in winter it was woolen everything...from thermals and socks to big thick fishermen style jumpers, all of course teamed with good ol' Aussie ugg boots!!!!!

On 11/29/2018 at 8:19 PM, CheeringCJ said:

At least i can layer clothes on and keep warm, when I had the fat to keep me warm, I couldn’t take it off to cool down,  so i like something much less permanent!  Funny thing is I can get bulky sweaters and not worry that they will make me look fat!  If I look like a size L instead of a M just because I have a sweater and a bulky sweatshirt on, oh well, I don’t care! Haha

This comment stuck with me. Another great plus, I don't worry any more if my clothes are bulky. My husband and I went on a golf trip recently, and I enjoy looking at our pictures. And I still look okay to me even though I have several layers of clothes on! I dig that!!! :D

2 weeks post op and I'm freezing a lot of the time these days!  I need a nose warmer. I wear 2 pairs of socks. I wear gloves half the time.  LOL  SOOOOO WEIRD.

3 hours ago, Brattykid said:

2 weeks post op and I'm freezing a lot of the time these days!  I need a nose warmer. I wear 2 pairs of socks. I wear gloves half the time.  LOL  SOOOOO WEIRD.

Two words for you Ugg Boots. Get the real ones made from lambskin!!!