Michael_A

The smaller chair

LOL!!!  My bariatric surgeon’s office has the same thing and I do the same thing...because I can!  (Plus I want to save the bigger chairs for the “befores” so they can have the same joy we feel as the “afters” when they come back in a few months!) :)

And interestingly enough I ride the train every day and I chose to sit next to bigger ppl bc I can fit on the smaller part of the seat (as they take up 60% I can fit in the 40%) and the reason I do that is because I remember the looks ppl used to give me when they would get on and see a big person wanting to come sit down and I don’t like that feeling it makes you feel that you’re taking up more than your share, so I do it so they don’t feel as uncomfortable with the skinny guy glances that intimidate!

Edited by CheeringCJ

53 minutes ago, CheeringCJ said:

I chose to sit next to bigger ppl bc I can fit on the smaller part of the seat

Good for you. That withering look is not one I'd like to inflict on anyone else. 

Because I never went through a bariatric clinic, I never actually saw those larger chairs until I had an appointment with an endocrinologist.  Even then I didn't see the larger chair until my second visit. So glad I never had to use one.

I love it Michael but that picture brings back bittersweet memories for me.

Once a month, I join a quilting group at a local diner for lunch and we sit at a booth.  Pre-WLS, I always had to sit at an angle on one of the ends (well, to be more precise, I wedged myself in with one cheek of my derrière hanging off the edge).

I'm now the one who sits in the corner of the booth because I'm the slimmest.  But thankfully, none of our ladies are even remotely close to the size that I once was - I think I'd have a hard time watching someone else feel the shame and/or embarrassment of being forced to perch on the edge of a booth seat. 

Those chairs are at all clinics for our my university hospital and its outpatient locations - what I love now is I quite comfortably shared one with my husband this week :) 

16 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

I chose to sit next to bigger ppl bc I can fit on the smaller part of the seat

Good for you, there's definitely some karma there!

WAY TO GO @Michael_A! Not only is it great that you can use the smaller chair, but great that you notice! Keeps the motivation and rewards going! Thanks for sharing. 

Same, and I love it :) All of my doctor’s offices have these type chairs in them now, and I always think, “It’s about time!” As much as I love being able to pick my seat of choice now, a couple of years ago that was not the case. My bariatric surgeon’s office was the first doctor I ever saw that supplied the larger chairs, and even though I had to use them back then, it was still a huge relief to know there was something I could fit into.