Sama5959

How long?

Hello everyone

This coming Monday (26th) I will be exactly 2 months out from my Gastric Bypass. 

My surgeon was delighted with how the procedure went, I have recovered and am back at work and going to the gym at least 3 times a week. With regards to food I had a few issues when starting back on solid foods but I think it was to do with eating too quickly, I've learned how to deal with this better and it gets a bit easier everyday. 

I definetly feel more energetic and I am sleeping so much better. Its showing on the scales too, I am down 54 lbs from 403 on the day of my op to 349 as of last week. 

I guess the only thing worrying me is that when I look in the mirror I dont feel like I see a difference. People are commenting that I look different but I just don't see it. 

Did anyone else feel that it took them time to see the differences that other people could see? I realise its probably mostly in my head but I'd appreciate anybodys input. 

I don’t remember exactly how long it took before I could see the difference in person, but one thing that helped immensely was taking full length pictures. Long before I could see a difference in the mirror, I was able to see the changes when I compared old and new pictures. Honestly, even now, I depend on pictures to provide a reality check as to my size. It takes a long time for your mind to catch up with the physical changes (lots of us on here struggle with body dysmorphia and  still thinking of ourselves as much bigger than we actually are). Kind of a non-answer response, but I hope it helps. And congrats on your progress so far!

Absolutely take photos and look at them side by side. I'm now less than half my starting weight and really don't see the difference in the mirror. I suspect a lot of this has to do with our eyes adjusting to the new size day by day. I know I look radically different, and my clothes size has dropped loads, but I still need to look at my pre-op photos to see how truly big I was.

Another thing- measure yourself, everything not just chest, waist and hips but things like upper and lower legs, neck. Upper arms, wrist,   And yes to pictures.  I still at almost 6 years out have problems.  I have never worn long hair and I do now.  I think that figures in to some of mine.  I often feel like I’m in neverland.  I don’t identify with pictures of the old me or new me, but over time I accept this.  My fat image is especially bad when I’m sitting.  My clinic told me takes about 2 years for your eyes to adjust.  

Btw, welcome!

Edited by Cheesehead

Welcome to Thinner Times Sama!

Side-by-side photos are the best way of recognising our weight loss and our own Cheering CJ has one of the best set I've ever seen:  My first year SURGIVERSARY

And as for recognising yourself in a mirror, that took me a long time and even now at just over 11 years out, I still occasionally have to take a second look when I see my reflection staring back at me.

6 hours ago, cinwa said:

Side-by-side photos are the best way of recognising our weight loss and our own Cheering CJ has one of the best set I've ever seen:  My first year SURGIVERSARY

@Jen581791 did the same thing and posted them here...not sure where hers are though.

Edit to add....found it.... It's in her blog "odyssey to a new me" the entry about reaching goal weight. I can't seem to copy the link on the device I'm using, but maybe someone else can. 

Edited by Aussie Bear

I was dumb and didn't take many pictures or measurements. But whenever I'd get discouraged about progress, I tried on clothes in my room. My own old smaller clothes and then second hand store clothes. It helped to know that my sizes were changing, so I MUST be getting smaller. I still do it to confirm that I'm not gaining. 

11 hours ago, cinwa said:

Welcome to Thinner Times Sama!

And as for recognising yourself in a mirror, that took me a long time and even now at just over 11 years out, I still occasionally have to take a second look when I see my reflection staring back at me.

This first time I glimpsed myself walking past a sliding door at 4 months out, it scared me.  I was expecting to see me and this strange thinner person was there.  I had to back up and use hand movements to make sure it was me, lol!

6 hours ago, Aussie Bear said:

@Jen581791 did the same thing and posted them here...not sure where hers are though.

Edit to add....found it.... It's in her blog "odyssey to a new me" the entry about reaching goal weight. I can't seem to copy the link on the device I'm using, but maybe someone else can. 

Thanks for the love, @Aussie Bear. Here it is, although I just noticed I think I have not posted the series with the actual GW I ended up at (about 15 pounds lighter than the last photo on this post). Maybe it's time for a new post with a more current "after" picture.

Thanks everyone for the welcome and replies to my question. 

Had my follow up consultation with my surgeon today, 64lbs down in the first 2 months, more than I thought was possible to be honest. Wish I had taken some 'before' pics. 

That's amazing Sama, well done!

Great job so far Sama!  Just keep on doing what you are doing, and you really can reach and then maintain at your goal weight (although your weight loss per month will slow down after the first couple of months).  

We are here to support you.

Had another consulation today. Weighed in at 306lbs down from 403lbs on surgery day (October 1st)

1 hour ago, Sama5959 said:

Had another consulation today. Weighed in at 306lbs down from 403lbs on surgery day (October 1st)

Great news!  Congratulations!

That is outstanding Sama!

Half way to goal!!!! Sweet!! You will do this!!!

Thanks all. Ive set my fitness goal for the year too, running the Glasgow Half Marathon in September. My legs are feeling it already, a good problem to have though. 

On 1/17/2019 at 5:56 PM, Sama5959 said:

Thanks all. Ive set my fitness goal for the year too, running the Glasgow Half Marathon in September. My legs are feeling it already, a good problem to have though. 

Goals help us stay focused.

Having said that, if your poor knees or hips or whatever complain too very very much, you can use an alternative (oh, like swimming the Channel or cycling from one end of the country to the other).  More seriously, congratulations on all your weight loss and you might well get to 210 lbs by September... remember the rapidity of your loss will slow down a bit as you slim. 

Finally got around to digging out a before picture I forgot I had taken. First one is the day before surgery (1st October 2018), weighing at 403lbs. second two were taken yesterday (10th Feb 2019) weighing somewhere in the 290's (weight to be confirmed this Thursday at my next follow up with my surgeon).

WP_20171129_13_04_00_Pro.jpg

WP_20190210_16_18_33_Pro.jpg

WP_20190210_16_18_58_Pro.jpg

WOW Sama!  That is an outstanding transformation - you have to be delighted with your progress.

Don't forget to keep your stats up-2-date.

Congrats on your excellent progress so far! :) You're doing great. 

You’re doing fantastic!  Something my husband had mentioned to me that I had never realized was that when I was heavy my arms didn’t hang straight down at my sides, they had a slant (if that makes sense).  I notice in your current pictures your arms hang straight down.:)  keep up the hard work!

Thanks everyone for your kind words and support. Just had my follow up, weighed in at 291lbs down from 403lbs on October 1st.

Edited by Sama5959

1 hour ago, Sama5959 said:

Thanks everyone for your kind words and support. Just had my follow up, weighed in at 291lbs down from 403lbs on October 1st.

Way to go !!

Congratulations Sama5959 - you're doing a great job.