Delightfully

Sleeve to bypass revision

I had my sleeve done in 2013 and it worked great until I got pregnant. With a few other complications I ended up gain the weight back and talk to my doctor about a revision. He felt a bypass would help with the weight regain and the GERD. I had survey on 11/20/2018 and planned on staying 3 days, 4 tops. Unfortunately my surgery was over 4 hours long, I had a significant amount of scar tissue and my stomach had attached itself to my back. I’m now on 250 cc of Baritastic clear liquid per every 12 hours. The doctor says the earliest I will be released is 11/27. Has anyone else had this sort of complications with their revision?

Edited by Delightfully

My revisional surgery took two surgeons over four hours. I got the impression that this is pretty normal because of scar tissue and adhesions. I had lots of repair work that they weren't counting on but did know was likely. Length of hospital stay is really determined by how an individual patient is recovering. My surgeon told me to expect 5+ days in hospital as a revisional patient. I only stayed 3 and could have actually been released after two. In fact on day 5 I drove myself home....a four hour trip on country roads.

Aussie Bear I applaud you, I don’t think I could have done that.  I had my revision 5 days ago and they still have me connected to a pic line, I’m up walking quite a bit (2 miles according to my Fitbit) but I’m still not passing gas. I’ve managed to take less pain meds than available but enough to keep the pain under control. Im just anxious to get home to my family in part.

6 hours ago, Delightfully said:

Aussie Bear I applaud you, I don’t think I could have done that.  I had my revision 5 days ago and they still have me connected to a pic line, I’m up walking quite a bit (2 miles according to my Fitbit) but I’m still not passing gas. I’ve managed to take less pain meds than available but enough to keep the pain under control. Im just anxious to get home to my family in part.

Hang in there @Delightfully. Revisions are a very different beast to "Virgin" WLS. Surgeon's have to walk a fine line when it comes to discussing outcomes for revisions....while honesty is important, too much emphasis on the increased risks etc and many of us wouldn't go through with them.  In my experience they do tend to take them more seriously, and consequently show less enthusiasm to perform them, but once the decision to go ahead is made by both parties they take them very cautiously both in theatre and during the aftercare process.

I probably should have added that I was considered a low BMI patient at the time of my revision, just <30. I had lost the ability to comfortably eat most food and was virtually living on meal replacement shakes for months prior to my surgery. That made my surgery and subsequent recovery far easier..... according to my surgeon anyway. My sister's surgeon told her before her revision that everytime they go in and mess with the stomach it gets tougher for both the surgeon and the patient. She's just had her third surgery in approx 3 years (lapband, lapband removal, and finally RNY bypass), and given her recent behaviour towards others I suspect things aren't going as smoothly as she'd thought they would either.

Edited by Aussie Bear

@Aussie Bear my revision was done by my original surgeon and he told me it would be easy to revise my sleeve. I was a very high BMI though, I started at a 52 BMI and weight of 268 and surgery day I was 241 with. BMI of 48. I understood there were additional risks, but the ability to breath, walk up stairs and simply play with my 3 yr old definitely out weighed the risks of not having surgery. I’m glad it’s done and I’m walking to recoverY, I managed to walk 3.6 miles yesterday and am finally start passing gas, (tmi I know, but I’m so excited after 5 days of no gas)