the4cookies

OPTISLIM

I am finding I am super hungry soon after having the optislim shakes and wonder if i can add more protein powder to them to make them more filling?

I wouldn't add more protien. Optislim has just the right amount for a meal, adding any extra is really wasted. If you need it to sit a bit heavier I suggest adding pysllium husk....not metimucial as that stuff tastes horrid....just plain husk. You can buy it at the supermarket usually, even better if you have an Indian supermarket nearby because they use it for almost every gut ailment known to man. It thickens the shake as well as filling you with fibre. I always added fibre to my shakes, both before surgery and even now at 18 months out. It not only bulks it up but also helps stop constipation, and believe it or not, supposedly is also used to stop diarrhoea by sponging up loose fluids in the bowel.

1 hour ago, Aussie Bear said:

I wouldn't add more protien. Optislim has just the right amount for a meal, adding any extra is really wasted. If you need it to sit a bit heavier I suggest adding pysllium husk....not metimucial as that stuff tastes horrid....just plain husk. You can buy it at the supermarket usually, even better if you have an Indian supermarket nearby because they use it for almost every gut ailment known to man. It thickens the shake as well as filling you with fibre. I always added fibre to my shakes, both before surgery and even now at 18 months out. It not only bulks it up but also helps stop constipation, and believe it or not, supposedly is also used to stop diarrhoea by sponging up loose fluids in the bowel.

how much plain husk do you put in pls I will get some 2moro from the local supermarket

6 hours ago, the4cookies said:

how much plain husk do you put in pls I will get some 2moro from the local supermarket

I'd start on 1 tsp in your shake and work up from there.  Psyllium binds with fluids in your digestive tract so increases your need for water so you must increase fluids (at least 64 ounces per day) to prevent constipation.  

I always found semi-freezing my shakes, especially pre-op, helped with satiety because I had to eat it with a spoon so my brain got the signal that I was "eating" something.  Try that and the fiber and I think you'll find it will seem more like a meal that a drink. 

I use a good tablespoon but cinwa's suggestion to start with just one teaspoon is probably a good idea. I always blend mine with ice cubes, so it is ice cold. That also helps with the not so great taste by numbing the taste buds somewhat.  I no longer use optislim, although I did use it for many months post-op with the addition of frozen berries or banana because I had so much of it left. These days when I want a protien shake (almost everyday) I use light milk,  around 60g of plain Chobani yoghurt, half a frozen banana, ice cubes, two teaspoons of optifibre (the benefibre equivalent sold by Costco) and a level scoop of protien powder. I don't use pysllium these days because I don't want the bulk that gives. Benefibre doesn't thicken so for me has been a better option with a smaller stomach.

Where are you having you surgery @the4cookies?

Edited by Aussie Bear

2 hours ago, the4cookies said:

will be having surgery at FMC early to mid next year

Best of luck with it, and I hope it happens sooner rather than later in your timeframe. Mine was at QEH. Only 5 months from the time it was listed but mine was considered pretty urgent by the surgeon requesting it due to issues with my previous surgery. I actually lost just over 50% of my excess weight before surgery. I know someone here who was listed for the RAH almost two years ago. She was told her surgery would be about 12 months but she's still waiting. She's had more admissions to local hospitals for obesity related health issues than I'd care to count, but still no sign of when her surgery might happen. Then again the RAH has very much changed its priority to emergency trauma surgeries rather than elective surgery since its relocation.

Edited by Aussie Bear
Bloody autocorrect!!!!!!