CheeringCJ

I DID IT!!!

It took me forever. In fact I’m not even sure I’ve ever done it. This might have been the first time in my 52 yr existence. (Unless my mom ever did it to me as a baby). BUT......

i donned a horizontal striped shirt!!!  And I was ok in it. It was a size medium Ann Taylor Loft shirt and not tight so I didn’t feel like it was clinging to my abdomen. It was weird to be comfortable in it but I did it!  

I meant to have my husband take a pic of me in it but forgot. I was I. A public restroom today and came out and caught myself in the mirror in it and thought “this is SUCH a big deal for me...duh a milestone, I need to record it for posterity!” And  I snapped this pic. It’s not a great pic, just proof I did it ;)

8904C800-786D-41ED-AFF5-2FEE021CE9DC.jpeg

Way to go!

Good on you CJ. I love wearing horizontal stripes these days, and lo and behold I now wear them tucked in my jeans with a belt!!!!!

Way to go!  It looks great!  What why is it stripes are supposed to make a big person look larger but huge ugly, gaudy prints and rhinestones that draw attention to your front don’t?  

I remember one of my first horizontal shirts, my husband commented “wow!  That looks nice!  You’d never have worn a striped shirt before!”  I guess I never thought about it but I never worn stripes before.  I remember being told when I was about 7 when a dress I wanted had stripes, that horizontal stripes make you look fatter and that always stuck with me.  

Hey that’s also an NSV!

Edited by Cheesehead

You look great !!  Isn't it strange walking by to see a reflection of yourself that makes you do a double take ?

Looking great, CJ! Like you were born to wear them :D 

I'm wearing a horizontal striped shirt right now - I really like them but also never wore them before. I was recently told, "You can really pull off those stripes." This made me feel pretty triumphant. 

Such an incredible feeling. Relish it and when tempted to eat remember that bathroom pic!! :)

@CheeringCJ

Great looking CJ! and like you, have memories from my childhood about wearing such stripes (good memories) and later bad associations! 

Definitely a NSV!

13 hours ago, AustinJ said:

Way to go!

Thanks, it took a long time (forever!) to even entertain the idea to wear it!

11 hours ago, Aussie Bear said:

Good on you CJ. I love wearing horizontal stripes these days, and lo and behold I now wear them tucked in my jeans with a belt!!!!!

Well, i am not there yet! I haven’t tucked anything in yet!  Baby steps.....

8 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

Way to go!  It looks great!  What why is it stripes are supposed to make a big person look larger but huge ugly, gaudy prints and rhinestones that draw attention to your front don’t?  

I remember one of my first horizontal shirts, my husband commented “wow!  That looks nice!  You’d never have worn a striped shirt before!”  I guess I never thought about it but I never worn stripes before.  I remember being told when I was about 7 when a dress I wanted had stripes, that horizontal stripes make you look fatter and that always stuck with me.  

Hey that’s also an NSV!

That is a riot!  I HAVE (probably all of us women have) worn giant flowers on my shirts, why?  They were hideous but my size!  Ugh!  I shudder at the thought of what I used to wear! 

And yes, it is great that you realized your NSV of “outgrowing” your 7 yr old mindset that was given you!  :)

6 hours ago, tracyringo said:

You look great !!  Isn't it strange walking by to see a reflection of yourself that makes you do a double take ?

I do that all of the time, Tracy!   It is bizarre, but I assume you all understand bc you probably all do the same thing.  I guess in a few years I will stop being so shocked!

6 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Looking great, CJ! Like you were born to wear them :D 

I'm wearing a horizontal striped shirt right now - I really like them but also never wore them before. I was recently told, "You can really pull off those stripes." This made me feel pretty triumphant. 

Wow, that is triumphant! I wasn’t a big fan, maybe bc it has scared me so long, so I probably won’t buy anything else w/ stripes, BUT just knowing I CAN do it made me feel victorious!

6 hours ago, Anita62 said:

Such an incredible feeling. Relish it and when tempted to eat remember that bathroom pic!! :)

Thanks!  And I laugh b/c I HATE bathroom pics and when I used to see ppl post them here (back before my surgery) I used to think “why would you take pics in a bathroom?!!?” And I am the worst offender now! Ha!  I don’t have a full length mirror at home (well, I do but it has flowers all over it and though I can see that I am pulled together, it doesn’t really show my outfit enough to post).  

4 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

@CheeringCJ

Great looking CJ! and like you, have memories from my childhood about wearing such stripes (good memories) and later bad associations! 

Definitely a NSV!

Thanks, I am still not a fan of stripes but I have overcome the fear and yes, that is a huge NSV! :)  I knew you guys would understand !

4 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

I do that all of the time, Tracy!   It is bizarre, but I assume you all understand bc you probably all do the same thing.  I guess in a few years I will stop being so shocked!

The first time I caught my full length reflection in a window I thought “who is following me.,”. It gave me a scare!  Lol!  I still at times don’t recognize myself when I approach a store entrance.  

May I say you look smashing!!!! Stripes become you! They show off your cute size! Thanks so much for sharing! 

11 hours ago, Cindy Lou Who said:

May I say you look smashing!!!! Stripes become you! They show off your cute size! Thanks so much for sharing! 

@Cindy Lou Who, can I just say I want to bring you home with me?!?!?  You are the most upbeat, complementary person I “know”!!!  Your posts always make my day! (And I am sure I am not the only one here who’s day you make!)

On 11/19/2018 at 7:35 PM, CheeringCJ said:

can I just say I want to bring you home with me?!?!?  You are the most upbeat, complementary person I “know”!!!  Your posts always make my day! (And I am sure I am not the only one here who’s day you make!)

Aww shucks, thank you SO much. You just made my week. :wub: