Loosing Lucy

How hard has it been to change your behaviours?

A question for all those who have lost the weight and managed to maintain... have you struggled at any point with old behaviours creeping back in and had to make a concerted effort to reign them back in? Or was it relatively easy to change your eating behaviours once you had your surgery? and if so, what do you think made the difference?

3 minutes ago, Prattlebangs said:

A question for all those who have lost the weight and managed to maintain... have you struggled at any point with old behaviours creeping back in and had to make a concerted effort to reign them back in? Or was it relatively easy to change your eating behaviours once you had your surgery? and if so, what do you think made the difference?

It was easy for me in the beginning after the surgery to do what I was suppose to.  I looked at it as my last chance.  I still look at it that way and I had to reign myself back in already.  It didn't just go away.  The tool definitely helps me to stay in check when I eat like I am suppose to.  

1 minute ago, tracyringo said:

It was easy for me in the beginning after the surgery to do what I was suppose to.  I looked at it as my last chance.  I still look at it that way and I had to reign myself back in already.  It didn't just go away.  The tool definitely helps me to stay in check when I eat like I am suppose to.  

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. I feel like it will be easy to begin with and I have always lost weight easily when I stop eating the crap but then again, I have found I have easily stopped at other times as well but at some point (whether it be a week or 6 months later), my brain just switches and says nah ah... you want food, and when that happens I don't seem to be able to stop myself and I stack everything back on and then some.

I worked really hard to change my eating behaviour prior to my surgery and i think that helped a lot in staying on plan after surgery. Sure I've slipped (way too often in my head) since reaching my goal.....the big difference so far has been that I have reached a "healthy weight" for the first time in my life, and have maintained it for about 12 months now. I realise that's not all that long in the scheme of things, but it is far longer than I've ever managed in the past when I've also lost huge amounts of weight. I never believed it was realistic or possible to get down into a healthy BMI range. Now that I know it is indeed possible, I'm not about to let it go. I have given myself an upper weight limit, above which is not acceptable to me. I weigh myself often and when I get near that mark, I know what to do to pull myself back.....and I do it. We all know that 5 kg can easily become 10kg, then 20kg. If we accept these smaller gains and don't address them, we can quickly become obese again. Once at that point it's back to the old mind frame issues that to lose a lot of weight is just too hard. So for me the key is to address any regain quickly and not accept it at any level really. Success is also kind of addictive, and when you can process your achievement, it's easier to convince yourself to hang onto that success with every ounce of willpower you can muster.

I admit to being a little on the compulsive side and as I started my WLS journey planning, weighing/measuring my foods, I didn't see any reason to change that once I got to goal so continued to do that when I went to maintenance.  And I do that purely because I chose to continue to eat clean, rarely have any hunger (I know when I'm running on empty) and if I don't plan ahead, I'm more likely to grab stuff that has no need to be in my mouth.  

It's rare that I eat potato chips etc. but as they no longer have a hold on me, 2 or 3 chips and I'm done.  Far cry from the days when I'd snack on a 13 oz bag of Kettle brand potato chips throughout the day (1,950 calories) t2511.gif

6 hours ago, Prattlebangs said:

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. I feel like it will be easy to begin with and I have always lost weight easily when I stop eating the crap but then again, I have found I have easily stopped at other times as well but at some point (whether it be a week or 6 months later), my brain just switches and says nah ah... you want food, and when that happens I don't seem to be able to stop myself and I stack everything back on and then some.

The difference for me this time is that I weigh and log my food everyday, when I start going up on the scale past my 176 zone I start paying attention and if it keeps rising I snap back and white knuckle it till I get under 175.  My weight can yo yo a good 6 pounds. The tool will keep you in check as long as you center your 3 meals around dense protein. You wont be able to overeat and if you do it will be painful.

Food doesn’t appeal to me so much anymore.  I try not to keep sweets in the house.  For me they are trigger foods.  This summer I was busy with my daughters wedding and forgot to eat for 2 days.  I’ve also gotten busy with Easter prep and forgot to eat until 9:00 at night.  I no longer live from meal to meal.  If I think I’m hungry I’ll guzzle a cup of water.  It fills me up and if I’m still hungry later I’ll have a cheese stick or apple

i highly recommend keeping trigger foods out of the house the first year.  I love to bake but it goes home with my grown kids..

It's been relatively easy for me to keep good habits after getting to GW because I worked SO hard at it during the first year. I really didn't allow myself any mess ups. I logged everything religiously. I kept no trigger foods around. I ate no sweets. I ate no junk. I focused on protein and getting my fluids in. I generally keep these rules now, 21 months out, because I know they help me to stay at a low weight, but I do allow myself some junk and some sweets every once in a while now. However, as others have mentioned, food just does not have the same appeal to me as it once did, and I don't go crazy with things even if I do allow myself an indulgence. I ate a bite of brownie a couple of days ago, and gave the rest to the hubs to finish. It was enough to taste it - it was good! - but I didn't feel compelled to eat more. I am perfectly happy with my high protein healthy stuff these days. I know I'm definitely not that far out from surgery (21 months is not much in the scheme of things) but I hope to hang onto the habits I've built. 

Thanks for the responses everyone. I definitely do better with routine and structure and tracking certainly helps too. I get sick of tracking constantly after a while and I think the times I've got to goal weight and regained I probably got too complacent and confident having just lost so much weight. Hopefully I've learnt from my mistakes and will make sure I continue to track and monitor once I get to GW! Well just have to be super vigilant and real with myself. I usually know when I am making excuses so will just have to give myself a kick in the butt and stop myself before I begin. 

@Prattlebangs

One of my downfalls is snacking at night, an old habit and hard for me to change. I try to keep things like seeds, dried fruit out of the house because I will snack on them at night - this is above and beyond things like crackers or potato chips, which are really gateway drugs for me :rolleyes:. As per old postings I've made I sometimes just plan on my snacks and allocate a certain number of calories to that. Rather than beat myself up over the issue of snacking, I just plan on it and keep it bounded. I often do quite well with my calories/protein during the day but it is evening when I am at risk. I'm now in maintenance so my caloric intake is in the 2,000 - 2,400 per day range.

One tactic you may wish to consider is the following:

I will cook up a dinner with some form of meat, vegetables and beans in the evening. For example, a quarter pound of hamburger meat cooked with garlic and a little olive oil (gotta get your good oils in), herbs/salt/peppers of your choice, and then an entire can of Goya black beans. Adding some cruciferous vegetables bulks up the meal too without adding much in the way of calories. This kind of meal has lots of protein and fiber. I can't finish this meal in the one sitting we are supposed to have for dinner. Later on in the evening, when I am tempted to snack, I just go back to my dinner pot and have a few bites of the bean dish. 

I'm not advocating that you give up on having set meal times and amounts after surgery, which I think is a better course... but if you suffer from this malady of snacking behaviors/habits, this might prove helpful. It is easier to re-purpose an habit in a positive direction than it is to completely break the habit. 

{Calories in 1/4 lbs hamburger, 85% meat 15% fat, is 250; calories in one can of Goya black beans is ~ 450; so with a little oil and garlic this dish is ~ 800 calories total}. 

Edited by BurgundyBoy
had to insert the magic @ symbol to invoke Prattlebangs