Sign in to follow this  
CheeringCJ

Revelation during support group tonight

Recommended Posts

So tonight at my WLS support group, the leader put the first slide up and it was “how not to gain weight over the holidays”. I had this sudden flashback of years of weight watchers.  They always had that at this time of the year.....same old messages, take a smaller plate, don’t let anything touch each other on that plate, bring your own safe dish (veggies,  fruit), etc.  and for the FIRST time the holidays aren’t scaring me!!!!  Last year I as new at this and puréed food was all the rage for my tgiving dinner! :)  By Christmas, I could eat more variety but I was still pureeing things bc it was easier and better, and for dinner I would have a little dark meat chicken.  On Christmas Day we went to the Chinese buffet and i felt nothing but panic but i survived and ate very little.  THIS holiday season hasn’t scared me in the least.  I finally have THE TOOL that i can use to keep things in control! I literally can NOT overeat!   I love this better place i am in...we are ALL in! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed CJ - the holidays do not HAVE to be scary!  I remember last year I was 5 months post-OP for turkey day, so still in full weight loss mode.  I stuck to teeny portions (mostly because I wanted to "sample" everything).  My sleeve restriction kept me in tow.  I had a 2 pound fluctuation after Christmas, but even with that I felt successful for all the food that was being tossed my way.  Just keep the protein first mantra ringing in your head, and you will fill up fast. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do fill up on protein though or you may find yourself "grazing" all day.  So many goodies and so many are sliders that don't really create fullness.  I find that the snacks before the actual meal are the worst temptation, so I try to keep busy either playing with a kiddo (plus be the good auntie and give their mama a break) doing a chore for my Mom (earning good daughter points lol).  After the meal I round up anyone who wants to join me for a walk if the weather allows.  Usually a niece or nephew I haven't seen for awhile will join me and we have a great talk.  Plus I avoid the inevitable political crap that gives me GERD lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, msmarymac said:

After the meal I round up anyone who wants to join me for a walk if the weather allows.  Usually a niece or nephew I haven't seen for awhile will join me and we have a great talk.  Plus I avoid the inevitable political crap that gives me GERD lol.

I love this suggestion and the avoidance of "political crap that gives me GERD"!! Haha! I'll think of you these holidays when I suggest a walk around the neighborhood! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2018 at 8:09 PM, CheeringCJ said:

THIS holiday season hasn’t scared me in the least.  I finally have THE TOOL that i can use to keep things in control! I literally can NOT overeat!   I love this better place i am in...we are ALL in! 

Thanks for this encouraging post! This will be my first holiday season post surgery, so I have to admit I've been scared this week. I'm afraid some pre-surgery food monster will come out of hiding and make me binge on sugar or something strange. Foodwise, I'm looking forward to the holidays being over and having lived through it. Guess I need an attitude adjustment, and your post will help with that! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2018 at 5:04 PM, msmarymac said:

Do fill up on protein though or you may find yourself "grazing" all day.  So many goodies and so many are sliders that don't really create fullness.  I find that the snacks before the actual meal are the worst temptation, so I try to keep busy either playing with a kiddo (plus be the good auntie and give their mama a break) doing a chore for my Mom (earning good daughter points lol).  After the meal I round up anyone who wants to join me for a walk if the weather allows.  Usually a niece or nephew I haven't seen for awhile will join me and we have a great talk.  Plus I avoid the inevitable political crap that gives me GERD lol.

Hahaha!  I love the political crap, and yes, it gives GERD!!!!  I do like the walk idea.  it might even start a tradition.  I am always doing dishes and putting food away.  I usually have someone with me so I don’t snitch! ;)  Otherwise, it would be dump it in a container then leave a little in the bowl so I can sample it! :rolleyes:  left overs are the ultimate Achilles heel for me!  I must avoid at ALL costs!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Cindy Lou Who said:

Thanks for this encouraging post! This will be my first holiday season post surgery, so I have to admit I've been scared this week. I'm afraid some pre-surgery food monster will come out of hiding and make me binge on sugar or something strange. Foodwise, I'm looking forward to the holidays being over and having lived through it. Guess I need an attitude adjustment, and your post will help with that! :) 

Perspective helps! I just rejoice internally at how different my life is and how I am no longer ruled and chained up by food anymore!  I can be chatty through the meal (which helps hide that I am not eating much) and have a very fulfilling holiday by being closer to family and not keep looking at the evil foods beckoning to me!  We do Thursday w/ my ILs since they need a lot of help and can’t do it on their own but they still want to host.  My married kids go to their ILs.  So it is my husband’s brothers and some of their kids.  I don’t see them all that often so it is a nice time to reconnect.  Then on Friday our tradition is to celebrate w/ our kids (from day one, I always said I don’t care about the date, I just care about having my whole family together, so I will gladly give them up on a holiday if that means we can have another day I can have all five of them (and their spouses and kids) home!).  Then everything is getting tossed, given away or whatever, but nothing is going to be with ME!  

Cindy, you will do great.  You have been so good at this that one day even with a few treats won’t side rail you and blow you up to 300#, so you can just make a rule of no leftovers, let TG be a one and done day and don’t keep anything afterwards.  You got this! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

Perspective helps! I just rejoice internally at how different my life is and how I am no longer ruled and chained up by food anymore!  I can be chatty through the meal (which helps hide that I am not eating much) and have a very fulfilling holiday by being closer to family and not keep looking at the evil foods beckoning to me!  We do Thursday w/ my ILs since they need a lot of help and can’t do it on their own but they still want to host.  My married kids go to their ILs.  So it is my husband’s brothers and some of their kids.  I don’t see them all that often so it is a nice time to reconnect.  Then on Friday our tradition is to celebrate w/ our kids (from day one, I always said I don’t care about the date, I just care about having my whole family together, so I will gladly give them up on a holiday if that means we can have another day I can have all five of them (and their spouses and kids) home!).  Then everything is getting tossed, given away or whatever, but nothing is going to be with ME!  

Cindy, you will do great.  You have been so good at this that one day even with a few treats won’t side rail you and blow you up to 300#, so you can just make a rule of no leftovers, let TG be a one and done day and don’t keep anything afterwards.  You got this!

I love your perspective! I also love the idea of moving the focus from food to family! I have hosted our family Christmas meal for the last 18 years, and every "morning after" I regret that I was so busy with the meal prep and timing that I didn't get to really TALK to any of my extended family members. My biggest goal will be to change that this year!

I am hosting TG this year on Friday for the first time. Both my husband and one of my nephews are working on Thursday, so I moved the meal date. Looking forward to that! Seems less stressful somehow! :)  

The no-leftover plan would be the best solution. But my family counts on leftovers. At Christmas they usually request I make extra pans of stuffing and green bean casserole, just for leftovers! And we always buy more turkey than we need so my husband can make his turkey rice soup. Not sure how to handle that. Maybe I should enter the recipes into My Fitness Pal now so I can measure and track what I eat, on TG day and beyond? That may make me feel more in control? Logically, I know my TOOL provides me with the inability to gorge on these foods, but illogically I am fearful of repeating old bad habits. :eek:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cindy Lou Who said:

I love your perspective! I also love the idea of moving the focus from food to family! I have hosted our family Christmas meal for the last 18 years, and every "morning after" I regret that I was so busy with the meal prep and timing that I didn't get to really TALK to any of my extended family members. My biggest goal will be to change that this year!

I am hosting TG this year on Friday for the first time. Both my husband and one of my nephews are working on Thursday, so I moved the meal date. Looking forward to that! Seems less stressful somehow! :)  

The no-leftover plan would be the best solution. But my family counts on leftovers. At Christmas they usually request I make extra pans of stuffing and green bean casserole, just for leftovers! And we always buy more turkey than we need so my husband can make his turkey rice soup. Not sure how to handle that. Maybe I should enter the recipes into My Fitness Pal now so I can measure and track what I eat, on TG day and beyond? That may make me feel more in control? Logically, I know my TOOL provides me with the inability to gorge on these foods, but illogically I am fearful of repeating old bad habits. :eek:

I get that and the fear is rational but you can work around it! 

We’ve done the Fri after TG for our immediate family for years and I love it. It gives them all time to get to their in-laws and then i get them all to myself.  Also the teens can bring their boyfriends or girlfriends and it doesn’t interrupt their family meal.  This year out of our 3 teens still at home, only one is joining us w/ the ILs on Thursday, the other is working (holiday pay!) and the other is going to his girlfriend’s house.  So i treasure my stress free Friday with all our kids and grandkids!

i also make extra for leftovers but last year i couldn’t eat them (too soon post op) and this year i just don’t want them lingering.  I will probably use some for my husband (and I can eat turkey but frankly i don’t enjoy stuffing enough to “waste” my small amount of sleeve real estate on that and string bean casserole is fine for a bite or two but that is all.  I am making homemade Mac and cheese and sweet potato potato salad, neither which are allowed back into my home bc I am the only one who likes them at my house and I do NOT need them!!!   

You can enter the recipies pretty easily into MFP and count them which might be a good idea to make you feel like you have some control over the situation.  

You got this though, girlfriend!  We want a full report afterwards! ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2018 at 7:21 AM, Cindy Lou Who said:

I love this suggestion and the avoidance of "political crap that gives me GERD"!! Haha! I'll think of you these holidays when I suggest a walk around the neighborhood! :) 

Also along lines of @CheeringCJ thread - drink lots of turkey broth if you are tempted! and remember, QUALITY over QUANTITY pick and choose what you eat. My relatives all know I am going to eat small amounts, and with them I have no problems with just eating what is right for me - and yes to walking, walking walking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this