Sign in to follow this  
the4cookies

Protein Powder

The best protein powder is the one you're willing to drink on a regular basis.

Personally, I was advised to go for a whey protein isolate powder and for me, that turned out to be Syntrax Nectar but only the shake type flavours, not the fruity ones. 

Check out the internet for single serve packs - that way you won't be wasting money on buying big tubs only to find that you don't like them.  Also - don't stock up on anything because what you like now, you may hate post-WLS.

I was also told to stick with whey protein isolate (aka WPI). Being in Australia we don't have the same brands as you guys in the states so I won't both expanding on brands etc.

I liked the non fruity Syntrax as well.  

6 hours ago, the4cookies said:

Im in South Australia too and finding there are so many choices its hard to know what to choose 

Okay, that changes things then. I used optislim which I purchased from chemist warehouse.....bargain pricing on it there. My sister used optifast when she had her lapband done three years ago, but for her revision to RNY last week, her bariatric practice recommended Formulite. Formulite has much lower carbs that optifast but she hated the taste. After surgery, and even now I tend to drink Bodiez protien water. I ordered it directly from the manufacturer, but have noticed that it is also available in the fridges at chemist warehouse....expensive but very palatable. The protien perfection powders I find far to sweet, and diluted they simply don't give the same level of protein.  I've tried the protien h2o available at some foodlands, but personally I don't like it. Premixed.... Crankt is one I really like with a good hit of protien. I like the coffee best, but can only buy chocolate where I live. This is my go to when driving to the city, a journey where I usually need a big protien hit. It really all comes down to what you want from your protien drink, if it's a full meal replacement then your best to stick to a VLCD meal replacement drink. If just the protien then almost any of them go. Even a 600ml feelgood iced coffee contains 27g protien. I've been told that any more than 30g in a hit is wasted, but I do aim to drink a contain that gets close to 30g.

WPI I was buying online from Nutrients Direct....they've closed now and are directing their traffic to bulknutrients.com.au. I haven't tried their WPI yet but do intend to order from there when I run out. If you are consulting with a bariatric practice, they should have dieticians that will advise you on protien powders....mind you most will push their own merchandising, so always check to see if you can buy stuff cheaper elsewhere. Buy small first time because otherwise it's wasted $$$ if you don't like them. Unfortunately most of the products our American forum folk recommend isn't actually available here.

Edited by Aussie Bear

I don't know if this of any help but Amazon.com.au has a wide selection.  I searched protein powder and protein drinks and it brings up several pages.  

5 hours ago, cinwa said:

I don't know if this of any help but Amazon.com.au has a wide selection.  I searched protein powder and protein drinks and it brings up several pages.  

The Australian Amazon tends to be a fairly expensive (and very limited range) option cinwa. We were far better off ordering from the US Amazon but many lines won't ship to Australia and if they do the postage costs to here are exorbitant. Until they become more price competive, they're not a great option here. Chemist warehouse has a more diverse range and better pricing. I follow a Facebook Page here called Nutrition for Weightloss surgery (they are actually the dieticians from my sisters bariatric practice), they often review products available here, provide some great recipes, and often will give their discount codes for people wanting to order from local websites. I won't pay the ongoing membership fees to join their support forum though!!!!!