MeadowBlue

How did you lose weight before surgery?

I am feeling like I'm in limbo. I dont have a date yet and I certainly dont want to gain any more weight but it's difficult to give diet and exercise 100% because I'm in a funk. I keep telling myself I've got to get completely off sugar as I know I will have to. I am back on caffeine after a long struggle and I know eventually that has to go (doctors orders). I am mentally just waiting to get approved and I know that's wrong but it's hard to stay motivated when i feel like my diet efforts are always in vain. I am definitely not going crazy with food funerals or anything, I am trying to remain high protein and only allow myself one meal a day with carbs. It just honestly takes drastic effort for me to actually lose anything and it's hard to really put a lot of effort into it with winter depression kicking in and all of the feelings I have of being stuck. I'm just being honest here, I know I should be trying harder but I have a mental block I think because I just feel like I'm in a holding pattern even though I am knocking out the numerous appointments I'm being required to do. I am just growing so impatient to get on the other side of this huge mountain!

I went totally keto prior to surgery.  I started out at 355, and my goal was to be under 300 by my surgery date.  I made it - with room to spare.  I just kept my personal safety in mind - I was already scared of having surgery in general, and I knew that the lower I could be before surgery, the better my odds were of having no complications. 

It's definitely a mental and emotional grind at first, but after the first week, it gets easier.  I thought of it as being "in training" for surgery.  I ate as much as I wanted, as long as the food was carb-free. 

Many a pig was sacrificed to my body's demands for bacon that summer....

I used meal replacement shakes twice a day with a low carb meal at night. Out hospital system means there's no guarantee surgery will happen even once it's booked. I needed to have foot surgery and couldn't even get a referral for that unless my BMI was below 30. Every very painful step was a reminder to me that the weight had to come off before I could even think about getting that problem fixed. Because I was a medically necessary revision my BMI wasn't taken into account for my RNY, so I just focussed on the weightloss side of things....keto diet combined with exercise bike (weight-bearing exercise was out of the question). I lost 27 kg (multiply by 2.2 for pounds)in the 7 months leading up to my surgery. My bariatric surgeon was both surprised and ecstatic.

I was on enough medications that losing weight was impossible.  I did manage to lose 6 pounds in 6 months.  

I did have a final pig out Day the weekend before.  I had eggs Benedict, blooming onion, prime rib and several alcohol drinks.  Haven’t had that stuff since.   But after getting that out of my system.  A couple days later, for my last meal before my 24 hour of liquids, I didn’t really care what I ate.  

I didn’t have to lose before surgery, I just couldn’t gain.  

I was really only losing in earnest for about a month (5 weeks?) previous to surgery, so not a long road, like many of those above! What I did was eat very low carb and get into ketosis, which helped with the food cravings and hunger. It was also great practice for after. I lost 20 pounds in a month, so not too shabby! That month was actually my best losing month for the entire process, which drove me crazy while I was losing but seems funny to me now in retrospect. 

One mental trick that helped was remembering that every pound lost before surgery was permanent. It wasn't coming back. It meant one fewer pound to lose post-op. It was the first time in my life that I felt like I was losing weight permanently.

On 11/13/2018 at 11:47 AM, Kio said:

I went totally keto prior to surgery.  I started out at 355, and my goal was to be under 300 by my surgery date.  I made it - with room to spare.  I just kept my personal safety in mind - I was already scared of having surgery in general, and I knew that the lower I could be before surgery, the better my odds were of having no complications. 

It's definitely a mental and emotional grind at first, but after the first week, it gets easier.  I thought of it as being "in training" for surgery.  I ate as much as I wanted, as long as the food was carb-free. 

I feel like the only person in the world who lost NO weight on Keto. I did it faithfully for 30 days and did not lose a single pound. I counted everything, measured, calculated macros. I lost nothing. This makes me feel like OMG what if gastric bypass doesnt make me lose weight!

Pre-WLS I had a 35+ year documented history of successful dieting attempts counting calories.  Unfortunately, I was also successful at putting the whole lot back on (plus a few more pounds for good measure).

I had the same worry - if you were to check out my posting history, especially around July/August 2017, you'd see that I posted about it before MY surgery, too.  I had tried everything before WLS - phen/fen back when people thought it was safe, low fat, calorie counting, constant exercise, paleo, keto, carbohydrate addicts diet.... you name it.  I could lose for a while, but always bounced back up.  I thought, sure, WLS works for OTHER people.  But it's not going to work for ME.  Nothing EVER works for ME.  I had given up.

Now, 15 months after surgery and at less than half my starting weight, I'm here to tell you - you will lose weight.  I'm not even at my goal yet, and I'm thrilled with my new body already - and have been for months and months.  The good part starts way before you get to goal. 

Edited by Kio

9 hours ago, Kio said:

The good part starts way before you get to goal.

Absolutely, yes! A great thing to remember as we rush rush rush to get to GW. Or find ourselves floating just above it at a stall. I was just thinking about that this morning - when did I feel like I was a sort of "normal" size? Like, satisfied? After about 8 months, which is 4 months before I hit GW.

On 11/15/2018 at 3:26 PM, MeadowBlue said:

Meadow - you will lose weight after surgery. You would have to have non-human physiology to not lose weight. 

Just because you have not lost weight before surgery does not undo what surgery will accomplish. Be of good cheer, every day you are closer and you are taking control of your future and are going to love being smaller.