Cardamom77

My minimized wardrobe or "What I Might Be Wearing Tomorrow"

I was wondering if anyone else is doing a capsule wardrobe. I decided to start doing this recently and I have to say - it has made getting dressed SO MUCH EASIER. It also prevents impulse purchases because if I see something I like, I remind myself that I have already chosen my wardrobe pieces for this season and I can buy new things in the spring (unless I shrink out of something, of course, but my size has stayed pretty steady in the last couple of months - plus I have a sewing machine. :) ).

Anyway, I don't count a few things in my wardrobe count. Those things are 2 "formal" dresses, a pair of shiny leggings that I'll only wear to goofy dress up stuff, and the 3 items I wear to help my mom sell her tie-dyes (tie-dyes aren't really my style). I also don't count underwear, pajamas, tights/pantyhose, socks, etc. I also don't count my bike shorts/clothes and exercise clothes. I do count shoes (other than my workout shoes). 

I have 20 items in my wardrobe. It is mainly black, white, and grey, with two items that are not neutral colors. Here's what I have (price I paid for it in parentheses):

A short sleeved white crepe shirt ($2)
A long sleeved white linen button-up shirt ($7)
A grey and white striped tank top ($2)
A short sleeved grey cowl neck top ($3)
A black long-sleeved silk layering top ($0 - hand-me-down from a friend)
A teal tunic ($.50)
A pair of black jeans ($10)
A pair of black and grey Spanx leggings ($0 - these were given to me by a friend they didn't fit, but I can say they are worth every penny of the $100 they cost!)
A pair of grey and black striped leggings ($11)
A pair of black ankle pants ($5)
A faux leather skirt ($12 - I feel like basically the most rockstar rock star who ever rockstarred in this) 
A black open-knit sweater ($0)
A grey open-knit sweater ($2)
A mottled multicolor turtleneck sweater tunic ($0)
A grey long-sleeve dress ($3)
A grey corduroy blazer ($5)
A black wool peacoat ($7)
A pair of black Doc Marten boots ($100 in 2012 - ha!)
A pair of black suede "witch heels" ($.50 - they're that kind of Victorian bootie style - LOVE)
A pair of Teva Mary Janes for biking in ($30)

That's it! Now I have a BILLION pair of earrings and a good dozen necklaces and about 8 scarves to brighten things up, so it's not as drab as it sounds. If you count the Doc Martens, my entire wardrobe cost $200. If you don't (because I bought them 6 years ago), it's $100. I try not to wash stuff as often if it's not dirty to keep it from wearing out too fast. I plan to get new stuff in the spring for spring/summer and plan to try to spend about the same amount and keep it to 20 items. 

Anyway - tell me about your wardrobe strategy! I have to say it's really nice to be able to find my size with no problem in thrift stores now! 

Also I know that this doesn't look like a minimized wardrobe for some folks. For me, this is pared down because I used to do a lot of impulse clearance/thrift store shopping. I like having my wardrobe "decided" so that I don't have to clutter up my brain with a lot of decisions over trivial stuff. 

12 hours ago, Cardamom77 said:

I was wondering if anyone else is doing a capsule wardrobe. I decided to start doing this recently and I have to say - it has made getting dressed SO MUCH EASIER. It also prevents impulse purchases because if I see something I like, I remind myself that I have already chosen my wardrobe pieces for this season and I can buy new things in the spring (unless I shrink out of something, of course, but my size has stayed pretty steady in the last couple of months - plus I have a sewing machine. :) ).

Anyway, I don't count a few things in my wardrobe count. Those things are 2 "formal" dresses, a pair of shiny leggings that I'll only wear to goofy dress up stuff, and the 3 items I wear to help my mom sell her tie-dyes (tie-dyes aren't really my style). I also don't count underwear, pajamas, tights/pantyhose, socks, etc. I also don't count my bike shorts/clothes and exercise clothes. I do count shoes (other than my workout shoes). 

I have 20 items in my wardrobe. It is mainly black, white, and grey, with two items that are not neutral colors. Here's what I have (price I paid for it in parentheses):

A short sleeved white crepe shirt ($2)
A long sleeved white linen button-up shirt ($7)
A grey and white striped tank top ($2)
A short sleeved grey cowl neck top ($3)
A black long-sleeved silk layering top ($0 - hand-me-down from a friend)
A teal tunic ($.50)
A pair of black jeans ($10)
A pair of black and grey Spanx leggings ($0 - these were given to me by a friend they didn't fit, but I can say they are worth every penny of the $100 they cost!)
A pair of grey and black striped leggings ($11)
A pair of black ankle pants ($5)
A faux leather skirt ($12 - I feel like basically the most rockstar rock star who ever rockstarred in this) 
A black open-knit sweater ($0)
A grey open-knit sweater ($2)
A mottled multicolor turtleneck sweater tunic ($0)
A grey long-sleeve dress ($3)
A grey corduroy blazer ($5)
A black wool peacoat ($7)
A pair of black Doc Marten boots ($100 in 2012 - ha!)
A pair of black suede "witch heels" ($.50 - they're that kind of Victorian bootie style - LOVE)
A pair of Teva Mary Janes for biking in ($30)

That's it! Now I have a BILLION pair of earrings and a good dozen necklaces and about 8 scarves to brighten things up, so it's not as drab as it sounds. If you count the Doc Martens, my entire wardrobe cost $200. If you don't (because I bought them 6 years ago), it's $100. I try not to wash stuff as often if it's not dirty to keep it from wearing out too fast. I plan to get new stuff in the spring for spring/summer and plan to try to spend about the same amount and keep it to 20 items. 

Anyway - tell me about your wardrobe strategy! I have to say it's really nice to be able to find my size with no problem in thrift stores now! 

Love, love, love the idea of doing this! I've tossed it around a few times, and I unfortunately come down on the maximalist side of wardrobe cultivation, but I've adopted a few of the principles, anyway - stick with a color palette, make sure most things match other things, don't buy more versions of the same thing you already have, and have a "uniform" sort of style so you don't have to make so many decisions every morning (well, I have sort of three uniforms, but hey). Congrats to you for making it work! It's very very sensible and healthy (both for the budget and for decluttering the mind), I think. I'd love to see some pictures :) 

No way could I do this. Apart from anything else, I'm just too much of a grub....I'd have to be washing everyday with so few clothes.

1 hour ago, Aussie Bear said:

No way could I do this. Apart from anything else, I'm just too much of a grub....I'd have to be washing everyday with so few clothes.

Yeah, I don’t wash everything after every wear but I also keep things pretty clean. I also have a clothing steamer that helps freshen things up between washes. 

7 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Congrats to you for making it work! It's very very sensible and healthy (both for the budget and for decluttering the mind), I think. I'd love to see some pictures :) 

My mirror and selfie taking skill are both terrible, but here’s what I wore today. Grey sweater, grey dress, black tights, Docs and jewelry. I also wore my coat. Ha! 

DBEBD11E-7FB1-4E81-B347-BADD55CF5D1E.jpeg

I admire that you can do that and i would have liked to have done that before, but for the first time in my WHOLE LIFE I look good in clothes so I can’t limit myself ;) .  I have worn drab and ugly crap for years and I can finally ge the cute clothes so for now, I am going to enjoy it!  I also go to thrift stores (though none around here are as inexpensive as yours!) so I don’t feel tooooo overly guilty about spending money.  I get my pants for $4.99 or less, dresses $8.99 or less, shirts $2.99-3.99.  I am also into leggings and tights which I could never pull off before!  I too, have a pair of spanx leggings I got brand new for $10 or eBay, but they are worth more than that!!!  :D  I probably have about 10 (maybe more) swing/t-shirt dresses (most solid but some prints) that I can easily throw on w/ leggings or tights and be comfortable and look nice!   

40 minutes ago, Cardamom77 said:

Yeah, I don’t wash everything after every wear but I also keep things pretty clean. I also have a clothing steamer that helps freshen things up between washes. 

My mirror and selfie taking skill are both terrible, but here’s what I wore today. Grey sweater, grey dress, black tights, Docs and jewelry. I also wore my coat. Ha! 

DBEBD11E-7FB1-4E81-B347-BADD55CF5D1E.jpeg

You just look sooooo thin, @Cardamom77!!!!  I wish your sister could see you now!  What does your mom think (she had GB, right?)

I want to see your other the dye.  What does your mom sell?  I LOVE tye dye!!  

For the first time in my life I love clothes!  When the girls were younger I’d sit in the try area and wish I wasn’t so fat, that I could have fun things.  Now I can!  I rarely spend more than $5 for shirts or shorts and no more than $10 for jeans.  I shop clearance racks.