Res Ipsa

Five years

Today is my five year surgiversary.  What I posted three years ago (printed below) remains true today (except that about a year and a half ago I upped by goal weight by five pounds at the request of my wife who thought that I was too skinny when I was between 175 and 180 pounds):

It has now been two full years since I had my gastric bypass (RNY) surgery on November 12, 2013 at the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.  I can safely say that having this surgery was (along with my decision to marry my wonderful wife and have two sons) the best decision of my life.  Although the surgery itself, and the liquid diet right afterwards, was not fun, the physical pain from the surgery was over after a few days and I was able to return to work (part time) just six days after surgery.  I got down to my goal weight about 9-10 months after my surgery, and have been 5-10 pounds under my goal weight ever since.  

Quite frankly, I have been lucky, I lost weight fairly quickly after the surgery, I have not had any medical complications, and it has not been very difficult at all for me to maintain my current weight.  I am so very thankful to my wife and my surgeon for supporting me on this amazing journey to becoming thin and healthy.

More importantly, and I especially say this to the newbies, my 125-130 pound weight loss has brought on a truly amazing positive change in my life.  I feel so much more healthy, I am told that I look great, my blood pressure is way down (to about 110/60), I am off a prescription medicine that I was on before surgery, and I believe that I will live much longer now that I am no longer overweight.  I enjoy life so much more now that I do not get tired, hot and sweaty whenever I am active.  I hike; I walk; and I feel blessed with a new ability to be active.  I no longer worry that if I sit in a wooden chair that it will collapse, that the seatbelt on a plane might not fit, that when I enter a room people will immediately judge me for being fat, and that I cannot buy clothes except in a “big men's store” (Men’s sized large available everywhere works just fine now, thank you).   

I do not feel that I suffer at all in what I can eat every day – I just eat a balanced diet in which just about everything is OK in moderation.  I can and do go out to dinner regularly and enjoy all kinds of food and wine.  Although I do not formally count calories or record what I eat now that I on maintenance, I can tell you at the end of the day everything that I ate and drank that day, and about how many calories each of these items had.  I very rarely dump or need to throw up.  Most importantly for me, I weigh myself every morning and if I go above 180, then I cut my food intake, and if I go below 175, then I increase my food intake.  I will never go above my goal weight – never! (My wife calls me stubborn; I like to think of it as being persistent).    

I decided to have the gastric bypass surgery so that I could live long enough to see my sons (who are in their low twenties now) get married and have children, and so that I could grow old with my wife and (hopefully) retire some place nice.  Before the surgery, I knew that with my high weight it was just a question of time before I had a heart attack (or stroke) and possibly died – probably before I turned 60 (I am 54 years old now).  I did and do not want to die, and if surgery can help me lose weight and live longer, then bring it on!

I write this not to praise myself, but to encourage others to seek gastric bypass if you are truly overweight and cannot lose the weight through normal diets.  Gastric bypass is an amazing and wonderful journey.

Congrats Geoff!  You’ve proved that maintaining is possible!  You’ve done awesome!

Congratulations!

Congratulations, Geoff! I remember reading this extremely encouraging post when I was pre-op and and looking for answers here on TTF. It helped me see that life post-op could be so much better, and not hard to deal with in terms of food intake. Thanks for all you do here. Your words of experience and wisdom have helped me out countless times. Give yourself a pat on the back this surgiversary! :D 

@Res Ipsa,

I wish you a very heartfelt congratulations on your very successful 5th surgiversary!! ❤️ Meeting you and the other Bostonians this summer was just an incredible experience for me, and I want you to know that you’ve been an amazing source of support for me during my difficult but successful weight loss journey. You are such a cheerleader for all of us here, I’m not sure you know how inspirational you are to everyone...and how very much we truly appreciate you! I hope you are enjoying your success as much as it sounds like you are. You deserve every minute of it, and the more time WLS has given to you to spend with your loved ones the more you deserve it!! Love and Prayers from Nana and Papa Trish from Ny!! ❤️

Happy 5th Surgiversary to you!  t3423.gif  I'm not quite sure where all the time went - it's hard to believe that 5 years has gone by since your WLS.

And I can't let the opportunity slip to thank you for the support, advice and encouragement you give to our members.  You certainly make Thinner Times a better place for all.

Congratulations!  Thanks for always being a positive voice of encouragement here as well as an excellent example of how wonderful life is post WLS!!

Aw shucks.  :wub:

Thank you for all of the kind words.

Happy surgiversary!!!!      You made a great decision and your wife, boys and future grand kids will all be just as pleased as you are with your decision. Thank you for all of your encouragement on line here!  You’re awesome!

21 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

You, kind sir, are a True Inspiration to us all.  Thanks for your diligence and presence on TTF!

On 11/13/2018 at 3:14 PM, Res Ipsa said:

Firstly, congratulations on your 5 year anniversary! That is a truly incredible achievement! Wow. 

Secondly, thanks so much for posting your 2-year anniversary post. As a newer member, I hadn't heard your story before. It's so encouraging to read your journey to the 2 year point and even more encouraging to see you still feel the same way 3 years after that!! That gives such hope to the rest of us! 

I agree with all the others that your wisdom and kindness on this site is also appreciated SO much! 

Keep on, keepin' on! You're a TTF hero! 

By the way, as the topic of amount of weight loss in the months after weight loss surgery comes up often here at TTF, this is what happened to me. 

In the two months prior to my surgery I lost 20 pounds to be at 284 pounds.

After my RNY gastric bypass surgery in November 2013, my monthly weight loss rates were as follows:

1.  23 pounds

2.  16 pounds

3.  16 pounds

4.  12 pounds

5.  18 pounds

6.  7 pounds

7.  7 pounds

8.  2 pounds

9.  0 pounds

10. 4 pounds

11. 2 pounds - at which point (in mid-October 2014) I reached 177 pounds.  This was just below my goal weight.

Thus, I lost 127 pounds in all - 20 pounds before surgery and 107 pounds after surgery.