Sign in to follow this  
AriesMary

Kidneys & Protein Drinks

I was just wondering if anyone has had problems with their kidney levels being too high for from the amount of protein we take ,  After my 2 week pre surgery diet, my blood work came back bad and had to postpone. Had to see kidney doc, and will be seeing him next week to see how my bloodwork came out. Really want VSG surgery real bad. Fingers crossed and lots of prayers.

While I haven't had kidney problems, I've been warned many times by doctors that ketogenic diets (high protien, very low carb) can damage the kidneys. Given the amount of time over the years that I did ketogenic diets, I deliberately avoided ketosis after my bypass. It doesn't appear to have hindered my weightloss, plus it is no longer placing my kidneys under strain.

I hope all works out for you long term and you get the surgery you are seeking. Many of us have had extra hurdles thrown in our way on the journey to surgery....most of us look back and are thankful for the extra time and resolution of our other issues prior to surgery. 

I did not have any kidney issues, neither was I warned that too much protein from supplements could cause a problem but I do know that too much protein is not advised when someone has a kidney issue.

Mary - I hope that this is just a little bump in the road for you and that you can go forward with your bariatric surgery.  Let us know how it turns out for you.

Thanks, Everyone! I am hoping to hear something this week.

Do you have a progress report for us yet @AriesMary? I was watching a program on tv today where a doctor was saying too much protien from protien drinks can actually cause kidney stones. It reminded me of this thread.

Edited by Aussie Bear