Jenn42606

Going bald! Help!

I am losing my hair badly!!! I have long long thick hair and now it's so thin! I lose this amount of hair all the time!!! Help please. I'm crying over it! This was one of the reasons why I didn't want to do the surgery. I just want my hair back! 

20181108_070908.jpg

IMG_20181102_131539_956.jpg

Oh, Jenn, I'm so sorry to hear you're having a bad time with hair loss! I hope it gets better quickly. Just when I was at my wits' end, I woke up one morning and figured out it had gone back to normal. I had to wait a while for the baby hairs to grow back in, but they did. Now I have a halo of 3 inch long baby hairs around my head... <_< But it's all coming back OK. 

I'll ask the normal check questions: are you getting all your protein? Like 80g per day? (super necessary to get your hair growing again) Have you been taking biotin? (not guaranteed, I guess, but many swear by it). 

You could try the spray in hair fiber stuff (Toppik I think is one brand). I've seen many great reviews. 

I know it's not comforting at all, but this is a temporary phase! You're doing great, according to your stats. Keep up your hard work and keep your eyes on the prize. 

I'm so sorry, I know that is distressing, especially with long hair which makes it look like more hair than when it is short hair.  You are right on schedule for telogen effluvium though, which is hair loss that occurs in response to major physical or emotional stress.  And major surgery is one of the most common causes of it.  When it occurs, there really is nothing you can do to stop it, but eating adequate protein and supplements such as biotin may help with regrowth.  In the meantime it becomes a matter of disguising the thinning; best way is with a new shorter hairdo with layers but I understand that's not for everyone.   

I hope you are having great weight loss results and can focus on your new healthy life.  Hair will re-grow in time and your new healthy life is forever :)

I cant quit crying. The only thing I liked about myself was my hair! And now I'm losing it like crazy! 

5 hours ago, Jenn42606 said:

I cant quit crying. The only thing I liked about myself was my hair! And now I'm losing it like crazy! 

Breathe, girl. :wub:  There are so many things that are beautiful about you, hair may have been your favorite, but soon your thinner/healthier self will be worth it. Hair will grow back and it may be even more beautiful when it does. Among the other things mentioned (protein, biotin) try using shampoos/conditioners that help stimulate hair regrowth like Nioxin, Murad, Ultrax Labs Hair Surge, Lipogaine...and others. Keep reminding yourself it's temporary. Cover up with a beautiful scarf or hat if you need to.  It will come back.  It's gotta be scary, but it's going to be ok.

On 11/8/2018 at 7:49 AM, Jenn42606 said:

I completely understand as I lost a lot of hair when I was starving myself and taking Phentermine. I bought a lot of hair pieces and extensions and cut it into a bob. Im really scared of that happening again but I will say I'm so envious of you because youre over the mountain and going down the other side. You had your surgery, youre losing weight...thats huge. Im still waiting for a surgery date and sweating it out wondering how long I have to stay fat till i can get help. You are so lucky to be where you are! Thats not to say you shouldnt be upset because honestly I care more about my hair than just about any aspect of my appearance. I know it's hard but youre losing hair because youre losing weight and thats a good thing.

Have you looked into hair toppers? I paid about $150 for a human hair topper when my hair thinned out on top and it helped a lot. I could see how something like this would be a good aid till it grows back: https://www.headcovers.com/essentially-you-topper-hairpiece-by-jon-renau-wigs/ 

My hair is also long but I've resolved to just cut it to a nice bob and add some hair pieces if it decides to fall out.

Edited by MeadowBlue

Hair loss is a total drag. I'm sorry you're experiencing it. It may end of being one of those things you just have to wait out. It will not last and your hair will grow back. A couple of suggestions in the interim are to try not to keep hair pulled back in tight ponytails or buns, or at least alternate with hair-down styles from day to day. Pulling on the root can contribute to hair loss or breakage. Changing over to shorter styles or at least taking a few inches off, may also help. Some feel that taking biotin and keeping their protein up helps. Hang in there!

My hair will start thinning out super quick if I miss my protein for an extended period of time. It takes a good, solid 3 months of daily protein intake to even notice the little fresh, new wisps of hair coming in. 

It WILL get better, and it WILL level out. Keep your chin up!!

When I was going through the hair loss phase my doc wanted to check my zinc level. It turned out to be fine but I rarely see anyone else mention it. Thyroid levels can affect hair loss too and my thyroid level was all over when I was in the rapid weight loss phase, so if you are on supplemental thyroid replacement you should have that checked to just to be sure. 

Other than that like the others said, make sure to be taking all your vitamins, getting your protein, and I did take biotin as well. I also started spending money on salon quality shampoo as my hair was also very dried out. It's finally starting to feel normal again. My doc also said if it didn't improve that I could use Rogaine over the counter. Even said don't bother with the womens' version because it's just the men's version diluted. I never ended up buying any and I know some people don't like that idea but it's an option. I did kind of have one particular patchy area as well, the top of my head.