Just wondering how many people have had excess skin after their surgery? Did you require surgery to remove it or were you able to tone it up over time with exercise? How much weight did you lose? How quickly? Did you have 'folds' or just 'rolls' to begin with? (Sorry for the personal questions!) Thanks. 

I lost 150+ pounds. I have a little loose skin, but nothing worth bothering with surgery over, I think. I mean, would I like my upper arms and thighs to be tighter? Yes, definitely, but they're not bad. My skin is just a little loose all over my whole body - and it's getting better with time. I lost it all in one year, and in the 8 or 9 months since I hit GW, it's changed dramatically. I weigh exactly the same, but the saggy skin is firming up and going away. I'm not perfect, but I'm good :) I'm hoping that if it continues and I keep hitting the weights at the gym, my upper arms and thighs will look "normal" enough that I can show them without feeling self-conscious. Right now, I like to keep them at least a little covered. This is a big change from when I was heavier and I wanted to keep my whole body covered, though!! 

I'm in the same camp as Jen. 

I have loose skin but that's hardly surprising.  If you take a balloon and keep blowing it up (over a 35+ year span in my case) and letting the air out, it'll shrink back somewhat but rarely to its original size.

I did have one big roll of fat and that was on my lower belly.  The fat is gone but I do have a fold of skin.  You can see a picture or two of that in my gallery.

There's a lot you can to make it less noticeable - regular exercise as Jen mentions , keep hydrated and use lots of moisturizer/oil to keep the skin hydrated.

Minimal excess skin here after 130 lbs of weight loss. No rolls and, even in a bikini, the skin isn’t even significantly noticeable. The little bit I have is on the inner part & backs of my thighs.  It’s definitely tightened up over time, but personally, I haven’t found exercise to make difference other than muscle filling in the area a little which makes the skin sag a little less. 

1 hour ago, athenarose said:

Minimal excess skin here after 130 lbs of weight loss. No rolls and, even in a bikini, the skin isn’t even significantly noticeable. The little bit I have is on the inner part & backs of my thighs.  It’s definitely tightened up over time, but personally, I haven’t found exercise to make difference other than muscle filling in the area a little which makes the skin sag a little less. 

My arm muscles have gone from zero to "hey, there's some muscle in there!" so they're filling out the skin a bit better. Dream arms: Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2. #armgoals

4 hours ago, Prattlebangs said:

Just wondering how many people have had excess skin after their surgery? Did you require surgery to remove it or were you able to tone it up over time with exercise? How much weight did you lose? How quickly? Did you have 'folds' or just 'rolls' to begin with? (Sorry for the personal questions!) Thanks. 

Exercise helps with the excess skin; but it is not a miracle cure. I lost about a third of my weight (300 -> a bit under 200 lbs) and have both folds and rolls. But not bad! Upper thighs, lower buttocks, a bit in the elbow, a roll around the belly. Neck is much smaller and a bit of excess there - most notably though I now have a distinct jawline and my cheeks are no longer puffy, and no roll at the back of the neck. Not contemplating any kind of surgery for this. 

1 hour ago, Jen581791 said:

My arm muscles have gone from zero to "hey, there's some muscle in there!" so they're filling out the skin a bit better. Dream arms: Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2. #armgoals

Yay! That’s exactly what I was referring to. In my experience, building muscle definitely helps with any sag, but there aren’t specific exercises (that I know of, anyway) to help excess skin itself.

I am sure age factors in here with the skin issues.  There are a few people that are VERY lucky to not have issues. I have issues, but I am living with all of them and I would rather have the skin issues than the weight issues.

1 minute ago, tracyringo said:

I am sure age factors in here with the skin issues.  There are a few people that are VERY lucky to not have issues. I have issues, but I am living with all of them and I would rather have the skin issues than the weight issues.

Age and genetics for sure. I also went through four full term pregnancies and don’t have any visible stretch marks. My skin just bounces back for some reason. And agreed that the weight loss is well worth any excess skin or other minor inconveniences that come as a result.

Thanks for the replies everyone, you've all done such an amazing job!

I absolutely agree that any loose skin issues are minor in comparison to the extra weight issues and I certainly wouldn't let it sway my decision. Just wanting to better understand what to expect!

I have loose skin on my upper arms and thighs.  I wear sleeveless tops from time to time but wear burmuda shorts to cover up my thighs. With the rapid weight loss it takes time for our skin to catch up.  So even after you are done losing weight give it a little time.  

Not sure how old you are of if you’ve had kids.  At my heaviest I had 5 kids in 5 years.  So I knew I wouldn’t have a flat stomach.  I’m also a  50+ year old grandma so my bikini days are way over.  

I should add, once I deflated I noticed more wrinkles in my face that had been filled in with fat.

Edited by Cheesehead

17 minutes ago, Cheesehead said:

I have loose skin on my upper arms and thighs.  I wear sleeveless tops from time to time but wear burmuda shorts to cover up my thighs. With the rapid weight loss it takes time for our skin to catch up.  So even after you are done losing weight give it a little time.  

Not sure how old you are of if you’ve had kids.  At my heaviest I had 5 kids in 5 years.  So I knew I wouldn’t have a flat stomach.  I’m also a  50+ year old grandma so my bikini days are way over.  

I should add, once I deflated I noticed more wrinkles in my face that had been filled in with fat.

I'm 38 and have a 2.5yr old. I've progressively lost higher amounts over the years from 10kg when I was 17 to 40kg when I was 28 and didn't have too much of an issue with loose skin but obviously I am getting older and I now have 50kg to lose. I also never had a stomach fold/apron previously which I do now. Before I only had rolls,  albeit large ones!  My stomach apron developed when I was pregnant and put on the extra weight during/ after pregnancy so not sure how my stomach will adjust this time. 

I also wonder whether it's worth trying to slow the weight loss slightly so your body does have time to adjust?

I’m lucky - I have very little loose skin. But even if I did, that would not change my belief that having weight loss surgery was a wonderful decision that I have never regretted. 

Definitely lots of loose skin on me. I'm down half my bodyweight since my highest weight ten years ago. Just turned 60 so no chance it will spring back. I do have a tummy roll but mostly the lose skin is sort of shrivelled up. It has improved over time....especially the turkey neck which was so obvious at first but not nearly as bad now. The real challenge for women early on is managing the bra situation....the girls like to lose fat then redistribute over and over again which can make keep them supported a day to day nightmare. You'll see lots of threads here on the challenges of controlling the boobage!!!!

All bridges to cross when you come to them. Health above vanity everytime for me. I'm not planning any plastics unless it becomes a medical necessity. 

11 minutes ago, Prattlebangs said:

I also wonder whether it's worth trying to slow the weight loss slightly so your body does have time to adjust?

With  WLS (particularly the DS and RNY) it's difficult to control the rate of weight loss - certainly in the early months.

7 minutes ago, Aussie Bear said:

Health above vanity everytime for me.

Absolutely!

I had a lot of excess skin that will never go away. After 21 months and loosing over 200+ pounds, I had skin reduction surgery. If you look under Members Photos, under the topic “Before/After Skin reduction”, you can see what I had done.

My goal was to lose as quickly as possible.  I wanted to make the most of the honeymoon period.  

1 hour ago, Cheesehead said:

My goal was to lose as quickly as possible.  I wanted to make the most of the honeymoon period.  

Agreed.

3 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

Same here!!! I seriously doubt going slower saves the skin.