scarlet-amelia

Not feeling right...

I'm 3+ years post op and have done really well, up until a couple of days ago. Something does not feel right. I feel fullness, and perhaps some burning in the area around my pouch (my surgeon told me that is located just behind the lowest section of my ribcage). Feels like heartburn, gas.. stomach ache, maybe muscle soreness. eating isn't terrible, but certainly not pleasant. I don't recall eating anything unusual.. nor do I recall anything "acute" happening. Also, some nausea, but no throwing up. 

I don't feel as if it an "emergency situation" requiring an ER visit. However, I do feel as if it is something I should observe for a few days, and if it doesn't resolve itself, I will call my surgeon. In the meantime, I'm not sure how to handle it. I don't know if I should completely fast, to give my stomach time to rest, or if I should continue eating as normal?  or a modified diet?  I also don't know if I should just completely rest, or continue with normal activity? or, if I should continue trying to take over the counter things to try to relieve it? I regularly take omniprazole (it's like nexium.. daily acid reducer).over the last 24 hours, I tried a couple tums, a single tylenol (in case it is muscular)... and I just took some mylanta on an empty stomach.. yuck! So far, I haven't seen any improvement, but also, things aren't getting any worse. 

Heating pad has worked a little bit, and laying in a specific position has eased the discomfort a little... 

I'm not here looking for a diagnosis, or cure... (that I will go to my surgeon for, if necessary).. but I am looking for some "best practice" insight for what you do when your pouch is not feeling well. 

When I feel crummy, I stop eating and I rest. I also find taking a hot bath with Epsom salt helps. My only other thought would be that maybe taking the omeprazole has affected your digestion. I thought, as gastric bypass patients, that we don’t produce stomach acid? Maybe also try some digestive enzymes to see if they help. Not papaya (since apparently it doesn’t work if the pH in your stomach is below a certain number), but legit, good quality digestive enzymes from Whole Foods or a similar store. And definitely use your best judgment and contact your doctor if things don’t feel quite right. I hope you feel better soon!

23 minutes ago, athenarose said:

My only other thought would be that maybe taking the omeprazole has affected your digestion. I thought, as gastric bypass patients, that we don’t produce stomach acid? 

I didn't think of it that way. My surgeon actually prescribed them because of the risk of ulcers.... I wonder if protocol has changed?

16 minutes ago, scarlet-amelia said:

I didn't think of it that way. My surgeon actually prescribed them because of the risk of ulcers.... I wonder if protocol has changed?

My doctor prescribed them too, but only for the first 30 days after surgery. Maybe call and ask if your doctor suggests that you continue take them?

My surgeon put every RNY patient on omeprazole for a while early post-op too.  I think that is/was standard practice.

Amelia - this is worth a read:  https://www.everydayhealth.com/drugs/prilosec

The whole thing is worth reading but particularly:  

If you are taking the nonprescription form of Prilosec, tell your doctor if you have experienced any of the following symptoms:

• Heartburn that has lasted three months of longer
  • Lightheadedness, sweating, or dizziness with your heartburn
  • Chest or shoulder pain
  • Shortness of breath or wheezing
  • Pain that spreads to the arms, neck, or shoulders
  • Unexplained weight loss
  • Nausea or vomiting, especially if vomit is bloody
  • Stomach pain
  • Difficulty swallowing food or pain when you swallow
  • Black or bloody stools

Do you still have a gallbladder? That would be my first thought