Cardamom77

Officially maintaining!

This is actually the first time I've visited the Maintenance forum and this is super helpful. I'm officially doing maintenance now and these ( @Res Ipsa's Maintenance 101 post) are good words to read. I had said that I would switch to weighing weekly after I hit goal, but this is helping bolster my reasoning for my habit of weighing daily. I got into the habit while in the active losing phase and it's hard to break those habits, so I'm glad to see it can be helpful! 

I'm still religiously getting my protein in first. I have discovered that I can eat something sweet and not crave more (mostly because if I eat something sweet, I'm grossed out by how sickly sweet it is - ha!), and that salty carby snacks are my kryptonite and have to stay the heck out of the house. So I will take those lessons forward with me and hopefully keep on track! 

I'm also expanding my IRL friend circle to include other people who have had surgery. Partly by purposefully participating in social activities organized by my clinic (it's seriously one of the best clinics ever) and partly by supporting my current friends who want to have surgery. I have 2 close friends who have opted to have surgery since I had mine and it's been great being able to talk to them about looking forward and also to be reminded of the basics. One friend had surgery at the same clinic I did and we have all the same recommendations, so I can tell her the places I tweaked the rules a little (and where that went well and where it didn't) and she can remind me of the places I need to be more attentive. 

I've lost another 2 lbs since I've started maintenance, so there's a chance that maybe 150 isn't where my body needs to be. We'll see. But I've stopped stressing about weight loss now, so that's cool. I have had people mention that they think I shouldn't lose much more. I am happy with where I am, but I don't think I would be unhappy if I dropped 5-10 lbs more. I just see no reason to strive for it at this point. 

Thanks for being part of my support team! 

Congratulations Cardamom77!

I confess, I found trying to maintain my weight the most frustrating part of my WLS because even bumping up my calories to around 2,000/day,  I still overshot and ended up in the underweight BMI for my height at 109lb and there was nothing I could do to stop it.  My NUT and surgeon told me not to worry - my honeymoon period went on a little longer than most.

Awesome for you!!!  I seem to be maintaining now too but I’m not ready for the cafe bc I still want to keep trying to lose a little more. (But you know when I saw your post I had to sneak over and read it since I have to follow my NNs! ;) )

I have found it keeps me honest supporting others too. I go to my support group every month and have connected with some there. Currently i am chatting with someone almost finished her prerequisites and it’s fun to see her excitement building as well as answering her questions.  I think it helps keep me focused and not make me forget about my surgery and “try” to live life’s like a regular person instead of an obese person in recovery!

Good luck my NN buddy. I’ll see you there soon! (Are you the first active NN in the cafe?)

Edited by CheeringCJ

4 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

Good luck my NN buddy. I’ll see you there soon! (Are you the first active NN in the cafe?)

Thank you!!! I may be - I’m not sure! There are a lot of factors, though, so I’m sure everyone will make it in their own time! 

I’m honestly still scared of failure. Like there’s a part of me that is terrified of gaining it all back, even knowing my diet has completely changed and knowing that would be damn near impossible with my new plumbing. Brains are jerks sometimes though. 

Welcome to the maintenance board! It's less exciting than losing like crazy, but it's very satisfying. And you can hang onto your clothes longer! 

Supporting your friends sound like a great situation, both for you and for them. Keep doing it.

1 hour ago, Cardamom77 said:

Thank you!!! I may be - I’m not sure! There are a lot of factors, though, so I’m sure everyone will make it in their own time! 

I’m honestly still scared of failure. Like there’s a part of me that is terrified of gaining it all back, even knowing my diet has completely changed and knowing that would be damn near impossible with my new plumbing. Brains are jerks sometimes though. 

I totally get that...which is why i mentally need a buffer weight!!! Ugh, hate the old diet brain.  I am coming to terms i with it in my on timing.  I thought I would be fine with it but i am terrified. 

On 10/30/2018 at 8:54 PM, Cardamom77 said:

Absolutely! I am fighting my brain lately....some days i win, some days my brain wins!  It’s crazy how it messes with me (us all!)

I lost another two lbs in the last two days. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Like why did the weight loss speed up again? Am I silly for worrying about it? I'm eating bread again, you would think it would keep my weight steady at least. Haha!

I'm overthinking it, aren't I? 

2 hours ago, Cardamom77 said:

I lost another two lbs in the last two days. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Like why did the weight loss speed up again? Am I silly for worrying about it? I'm eating bread again, you would think it would keep my weight steady at least. Haha!

I'm overthinking it, aren't I? 

Maybe bc you’re not trying.  The more i try, the more i seem to hold on to my weight.  Maybe I should give up and go on maintenance so i can start losing again! Haha!  I remember others doing the same thing, so you are more than normal (which I bet you don’t hear too often...LOL!). Seems like @Jen581791 had a hard time putting the breaks on her weight loss.  I think maybe @Nana Trishmight have too.  @Aussie Bear seemed to keep shedding pounds (i guess kilos!) as well.  You’re in good company, girlfriend!

2 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

Maybe bc you’re not trying.  The more i try, the more i seem to hold on to my weight.  Maybe I should give up and go on maintenance so i can start losing again! Haha!  I remember others doing the same thing, so you are more than normal (which I bet you don’t hear too often...LOL!). Seems like @Jen581791 had a hard time putting the breaks on her weight loss.  I think maybe @Nana Trishmight have too.  @Aussie Bear seemed to keep shedding pounds (i guess kilos!) as well.  You’re in good company, girlfriend!

I effectively threw on the brakes by upping my calories to 1800-2000 per day! It was a bit of a shock to do that over the course of about 3-4 weeks, but it worked. The last couple of weeks, I've been doing some running, and that's ended up with me being below my comfortable window, so probably a few more calories for a while, until hopefully my body gets used to it? I saw 129 on the scale yesterday morning and was like "Oops!" It's just a bit thinner than I want to be, I think. We'll see how things look in a few months if I can manage to lean up a bit and hopefully get rid of a bit more loose skin (by filling it out with muscle, hopefully!!).

Same as Jen, I had to up my calories to 1,800-2,000/day and stick with that for a month or so.  In the summer months when I'm more active outside with yard work, cutting, splitting and stacking firewood etc., I have to go a little higher - in the winter, I have to cut back a little.  But it's definitely not a day-to-day weighing thing.  I get the scales out maybe every 3-4 weeks.

When I weighed this morning, I was the same as I was yesterday, so that was reassuring. I have not been eating as much as I should the last week or so. I put my food from yesterday (best I could remember) into MyFitnessPal and it came up to about 1200 calories. So, yeah. Gonna have to get some snacks. Haha! 

16 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

And this is the proof that weight loss demons exist - we try to lose and don't, and we don't try and do ... :eek: