Brattykid

Ideas for energy during pre-op diet?

I will be starting my 2 week pre-op diet on Nov 15th and I have my plan in place per my Dr. But I've read a lot of things from people that say their energy is just super drained during the liquid diet. Considering that i'm on it for 2 weeks prior, clear liquids for a week after, regular liquids for another 2 weeks, then 2 weeks of puree....does anyone have any suggestions on what to do/use to keep my energy up? I already struggle with fatigue at work and driving home from work every day. 

Thanks for your help!!  :)

35 minutes ago, Brattykid said:

I will be starting my 2 week pre-op diet on Nov 15th and I have my plan in place per my Dr. But I've read a lot of things from people that say their energy is just super drained during the liquid diet. Considering that i'm on it for 2 weeks prior, clear liquids for a week after, regular liquids for another 2 weeks, then 2 weeks of puree....does anyone have any suggestions on what to do/use to keep my energy up? I already struggle with fatigue at work and driving home from work every day. 

Thanks for your help!!  :)

You may wish to consider getting yourself into ketosis during the pre-op diet period. A lot of people, probably most, describe feeling very energetic and clear-headed after the initial 4-5 days of the ketogenic period. Before my surgery I also found myself pretty fatigued by the end of the day. 

As much as I would like to say something different, you will most likely be tired after your surgery - I needed to nap most days in the afternoon. This didn't last but it's normal after any surgery and recovery!

I'd agree with @BurgundyBoy about ketosis. You'll be low on energy, no way around it. The calorie intake is just so low for a while. But take naps, consume what you can, and know that it'll be over relatively soon :) 

I didn’t have a pre op diet but weaned myself off caffeine before surgery.  I was one of the ones that felt great after surgery.  I had energy and was bored during recovery.  

6 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

I didn’t have a pre op diet but weaned myself off caffeine before surgery.  I was one of the ones that felt great after surgery.  I had energy and was bored during recovery.  

I love the wide variety of experiences people have! It's so amazing to me. I was like a slug for several weeks, but I'm so happy to hear that's not a guaranteed result. I'm imagining you dancing around the house, just waiting to get the go-ahead to get out and get going!!! :D 

I didn't have an official pre-op diet either but I was required to lose weight and keep it off between seeing the Dr. who approved me for surgery and the day of surgery

Now!  One thing I was an expert of was losing weight - keeping it off was another matter entirely - I always ended up a few pounds heavier than I started out at.  The difference this time is that I had an entirely different goal and in the 5 months between my first visit and surgery, I managed to lose just shy of 35lb.

16 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

I love the wide variety of experiences people have! It's so amazing to me. I was like a slug for several weeks, but I'm so happy to hear that's not a guaranteed result. I'm imagining you dancing around the house, just waiting to get the go-ahead to get out and get going!!! :D 

Lol, I went to back to work at 9 days out.  On my feet all day.  I pulled together a huge super bowl party 11 days out (we had planned to just order pizza, but nope).  There was no keeping me down.  I didn’t sleep at the hospital.  I stayed up all night reading and bored..

Sorry, I have no words of wisdom. I am in Australia and I have quite a different plan. As you said @Jen581791 it's so interesting the different plans that everyone gets.  

I had an appointment with the dietitian today and my post op diet is quite different. 1 week fluids (can be protein shakes, milk, etc.. my surgeon said absolutely can have shakes etc as getting enough protein from the start is so important for healing as well as everything else), 1 week puree (can include yoghurt, scrambled eggs, soup through the blender) and 1 week soft foods. Pre-op for me is Optifast/slim for 2 weeks which can include the shakes, soups, bars and 2 cups of free veggies a day.

My dietitian also said that you don't have to limit carbs and fats in your diet as long as you get your protein in first and you stick with healthy eating principles.

What about drinking something like Powerade Zero, Bai or Gatorade Zero? 

I confess, I haven't tried but them I do have friends who think they help when they're dragging their heels.

9 hours ago, Prattlebangs said:

Sorry, I have no words of wisdom. I am in Australia and I have quite a different plan. As you said @Jen581791 it's so interesting the different plans that everyone gets.  

I had an appointment with the dietitian today and my post op diet is quite different. 1 week fluids (can be protein shakes, milk, etc.. my surgeon said absolutely can have shakes etc as getting enough protein from the start is so important for healing as well as everything else), 1 week puree (can include yoghurt, scrambled eggs, soup through the blender) and 1 week soft foods. Pre-op for me is Optifast/slim for 2 weeks which can include the shakes, soups, bars and 2 cups of free veggies a day.

My dietitian also said that you don't have to limit carbs and fats in your diet as long as you get your protein in first and you stick with healthy eating principles.

Take Australian dieticians' advice with a very big grain of salt. They seem to be taught at university that high levels of carbs are essential for health....they aren't!!! The lower you can drop them the more fat you'll burn. I've had very poor advice from a number of Australian trained dieticians..... I have zero faith in them these days.

Just to add to the differences in diet programs, my surgeon's standard pre-op was 4 weeks optifast, but we were fed real food in hospital post surgery eg, weetbix with lots of milk, yoghurt, custards, fruche etc. Cleared at two week checkup for any foods we could tolerate. Protien shakes were okay early out but my surgeon wanted them gone asap, with the focus on dense protien. Veggies only if there was room left after the required protien was consumed with carbs kept to a minimum during losing phase.