MeadowBlue

Random questions for "after'

I have questions which have been lingering on my brain. I am anticipating all of these massive life changes and it's a bit scary. I keep reading about things you cant do/have FOR LIFE so these questions mainly pertain to people 1 year or more out.

1. Coffee. I know why you cant have coffee but lets say you go out to breakfast and order decaf and you get served regular coffee. You dont realize it till you've had 2 cups. Do you freak out? Do you just say ok, well what's done is done and don't sweat it.? I'm just not sure how serious it is when you break this rule.

2. Aspirin. If I'm on a road trip and feeling queasy like I'm going to puke and the only thing available is Pepto Bismol, can i go ahead and take it just that one time or is it a 100% never, dont do it, you'll get an ulcer ....?? Like I know my headache remedy will have to change and no more NSAIDS for my foot pain but as far as one time, emergency, theres nothing else...do you just take it?

3. Alcohol. Lets face it, I live in the wine country and wine tasting and wine events are just part of the culture. I already dont drink much at all so I'm not giving up that much but I want to know if anyone has managed to drink is extreme moderation. I know about transfer addiction etc. I just cant imagine that I'll always be the DD and never have so much as a sip of wine. (and is there anything you can take to mitigate it, meaning eat a big meal etc so as not to get wasted or ruin your stomach lining)

4. Does anyone NOT have dumping syndrome? I can honestly say giving up sugar will be a blessing more than anything but I have read some people dont dump. I wonder how prevalent that is.

5. With dumping or intolerance after the surgery do you have warning? Can you take a bite...wait...then see how it sits? Or has anyone gotten sick immediately after the first bite? Im afraid of things getting stuck, and afraid of having to throw up. I hope that I'll be able to tell what isnt sitting well before I make myself super sick

6. Hair loss. So I'm 51 years old. I am somewhat past menopause. I feel lately like Ive lost a ton of hair and my hair is a lot thinner than it was in my 30's and 40's. I am scared of how much more hair I'll lose! Did anyone start this journey with already thin hair? Is it just thin or like fully patchy to the point of needing hair pieces?

Thanks in advance, Im sure there will be more!

1.  Although your diet will be somewhat limited for the first few weeks.months after surgery, there is no reason that you cannot have coffee (or other drinks with caffeine) after the first few months.  Some surgeons want their patients to avoid any drinks with caffeine, apparently as they fear that caffeine consumption may lead to hydration problems.  So if you do drink coffee or other drinks with caffeine, it probably is best to be sure that you also drinks lots of water or other drinks without caffeine.  Note that once you are a year or so out and at your goal weight there is almost no food or drink that you cannot have in moderation as part of an overall healthy and balanced diet.  

2.  You really should avoid taking any aspirin or NSAIDS after a gastric bypass.  This is a really important rule to follow.  Very occasional use probably won't cause any problems, especially if you take the pills with food.  Of course, you can have Tylenol.  Most people find that with their drastic weight loss the need for any pain killers drops drastically.

3.  Right after a gastric bypass you should avoid drinking any alcoholic drinks, including wine, as they really are wasted calories that will slow your weight loss.  Once you reach your goal weight, there is no reason that you cannot drink a glass or so of wine a day as part of a balanced healthy diet.  However, you will absorb the alcohol much quicker and faster than before, so you absolutely cannot drive a car after you have any alcohol (even just one glass of wine) and you will have to give up all forms of alcohol if you find yourself developing an addiction to it (which is not uncommon after a gastric bypass).

4.  I only dump if I eat a large amount of sugar and fat at the same time - such as by eating a bowl of Ben and Jerry's ice cream.  Not fun.  However, now that I am at my goal weight I can eat sweet (cookies, cake, etc.) in moderation without dumping.  Quite simply, I have not dumped in well over a year, and all I do is avoid having more than one bite of ice cream at a time.  Note that everyone is a bit different - some people do not dump, some people dump if they have alcohol, and some people dump if they have a cookie or other sweet item.

5.  First of all dumping has nothing to do with throwing up (at least for me).  When you dump you feel ill and need to lie down.  It passes in about 20 minutes, and is harmless (although very unpleasant).  In contrast, throwing up becomes necessary if your overeat beyond the capacity of your new stomach, if you eat too quickly, or if you eat certain kinds of food that your new stomach does not like (for me it is tough meat - like steak - that I do not chew enough).  When you need to throw up, you simply excuse yourself and go to a bathroom - I have never had to throw up without having the time to get to a bathroom.  Keep in mind that throwing up after a gastric bypass is a relatively quick and simple process as there is so little food in your new stomach.  You should have plenty of warning of a need to throw up, and what comes up will be much less than once cup in amount.  I throw up about once every couple of month, and it almost always is "my fault" in that I have eaten too quickly or not chewed my food enough.

6.  I am a guy, but I had my surgery in my early 50s and lost some hair.  It grew back after a year or so.  

I second what @Res IpsaIpsahas said but here's my answers anyway.

1. Coffee is fine on my program. I have one every morning and sometimes another later in the day. The morning one is mandatory for me, the afternoon one isn't. I'm mostly a green tea drinker.

2. Aspirin and NSAIDS are a definite lifetime no as far as my surgeon is concerned. Paracetamol is okay and if orthopedic pain is really bad then there are narcotics or patches that can be used. I had major foot surgery once my BMI was below 30, which was a requirement of my orthopedic surgeon.  These days the pain is much more tolerable and generally well covered by a couple of paracetamol tablets and the very occasional codeine.

3. Alcohol is fine in moderation. I only have it on very special occasions and rarely more than two serves....often only one as it very much affects me these days.

4&5. I dump very easily and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I'm not sick as mine is "late dumping" aka reactive hypoglycemia also called hyperinsulinemia.  It sucks, and in my case happens without warning but not for a couple of hours after consuming the offending substance. I have to immediately self correct the low blood sugars or I could pass out. I start to feel warm, vision gets a bit blurry, then before I know it my arms and legs feel like jelly. It happens on every occasion when I eat out. I can't believe how many people and chefs add sugar to even their savoury dishes. Nearly all breads will also set it off for me. It's the longer term issues it causes me that far outweigh the discomfort of a single dumping episode....in my case slow healing and  systemic thrush. I have to take diabetic medications now simply to try to get some control. Even though I'm not diabetic and never have been (my hbA1c is consistently around 4.5 both before and after surgery which is classified as "excellent hyperglycemic control") my body behaves a bit  like one since surgery.

6. My hair was also thin before surgery. I lost half of my excess weight prior to surgery and the hair loss was noticeable even then. I took biotin from before surgery and do believe it helped. I think my hair is pretty much back to where it was prior.....still very thin but not patchy....not in wig territory for me as far as I'm concerned. This is where it all becomes about the protien!!!!!! 

Edited by Aussie Bear

@MeadowBlue

Agree with @Res Ipsa - caffeine will be ok, avoid aspirin/NSAIDs, alcohol is possible but be cautious, dumping is common but not inevitable, and throwing up is almost always a result of too much volume, not dumping. They are not the same issue. Also am a guy, but lost no hair.

As a sleever I can take NSAIDs and (to my surprise) have dumped twice when given super-duper-extra-sugar loaded yogurt in an hotel. Had not expected that but it goes to show that some huge amount of sugar is going to do a number on your metabolism! and that I am now much more attuned to what my body is saying to me when I eat. I would not spend time going through internet chat places to get an idea about how common dumping is, I would look at scientific articles where they use reasonable criteria. 

No change in alcohol tolerance after my sleeve (did not have bypass) but you have to, have to watch those calories. My two cents is get the surgery that is right for you and your health needs - I think you will find the accommodations you have to make are not that big of a deal especially if your alcohol intake now is already modest. When I go to wine tastings now I taste and spit. (I have not noticed that spitting is very common when I visit wineries in California..  :rolleyes: . I am often the only person not swallowing my pours). 

Don't forget you can live healthily, and eat very very well in terms of quality without having to eat quantity. My wife and I had neighbors over for dinner and we had appetizers, onion soup, lamb chops, roasted vegetables, salad, and 5 different cheeses (4 from New England) with fresh sourdough bread. Plus we tried 4 different wines (no, we did NOT finish all the bottles last night). And I stayed in zone for my caloric intake. The neighbors, who are from Germany and health conscious and fit, also ate about the same amount I did. My intake did not stick out as unlike everyone else. 

You can do this!

1.  I drink the caffeine coffee.  I hated coffee before.  I drank decaf for a while.  Then a couple years out the surgeon said as long as I got my liquids in I was ok for caffeine.  

2. I do not take aspirin but have taken ibprofin once in a while.  Again a couple years after surgery.

3. Alcohol; I stand about an 80 per cent chance of it making me ill.  I don’t like wine.  Alcohol hits me hard and fast but it also clears my system quickly.  Do not drink if you need to drive.  

4.  Dumping, I’m fine with a small portion of whatever.  Larger quantities, nope!  

5.  Learn to listen to your new belly.  Often it will send signals.  If your belly says stop, then stop.  Don’t listen to your head telling you one more bite.  

6. Hair loss.. I had short thick hair to begin with.  I did not notice any hair loss.  I still have very thick hair.  I never had long hair, but with weight loss my face is too narrow to pull off short hair anymore.  

Good luck on your new journey.  My surgeon told me that the first 6 months is a learning period, so true..

Much wisdom from those who've already responded, so I won't add any REAL information, but just say: it's all totally manageable for me.

I drink coffee now (didn't before! my tastes changed). I stay hydrated so it's not a problem.

I just always carry some Tylenol in my handbag all the time. 

I drink about once per week, usually a glass or two. I've had too much a few times, and it happens quickly.

I dump with high sugar content quick delivery (liquids or ice cream). It keeps me away from those. I don't dump with other sweets, but I'm a bit afraid to test the waters much. I eat very very few sweets now. Dumping is like you have the flu but without vomiting. On the other hand, I vomit every month or two, usually from something I ate that didn't agree with my pouch, or from eating too fast or too much or not chewing enough. It's way less drama than vomiting pre-op, and doesn't taste like bile.  

I had some hair loss, but not to the point of needing any special product. It's come back now. I took a ton of biotin post-op and also ate my protein goal every day. Not sure if that was the key, but whatever it was worked eventually. 

Read around the forum on these topics. You'll learn a lot. 

You never know what kind of post-op person you'll be until you're post-op. All you can do is prepare yourself for the range of possibilities.

Pepto bismol is an NSAID??  When i think of nsaids, I only think of Aleve & Advil...I gotta check my book to see if there is a list somewhere. I should know this by now. So much to watch out for!

This is a page from my gastric bypass "bible". It's a list of all the medications to avoid 

IMG_1945.jpg

I'm not quite a year out, but I can share my experience as a less experienced bypass patient. :)

1. I drink coffee. I try to keep it to one or two cups a day. Sometimes I'm having a rough afternoon and drink one in the afternoon, too, though. I do not drink sugary coffee drinks anymore. Did you know there are FIFTY grams of sugar in a grande pumpkin spice latte?!?!?!

2. I do not take any NSAIDs and don't plan to. My sister had surgery about 15 years ago and ignored this advice (and smoked) and had the most horrible ulcers. She had to drink liquid lidocaine before eating to ease the pain in her esophagus. :(

3. I was drinking alcohol about 6 months after surgery. That was probably a little early, but I took it easy and didn't have trouble. However, I have had some medication changes recently and it's inadvisable for me to drink with my current med cocktail, so I abstain. It's fine - I don't miss it. 

4. I do not have dumping syndrome. There are some foods that inexplicably do not sit well in my pouch (oranges, raw kale, iceberg lettuce), but I do not dump. Sometimes if I eat too many carbs at once, I will get sleepy, but that's about it. Early on, I think I did have dumping syndrome, but it's stopped. However, I have never even tried to eat anything with over 20 grams of sugar in it, so I'm not sure if I would dump if I ate a lot of something super sugary. I also have not eaten pasta or rice since surgery. 

5. I have not thrown up at all - not once - since surgery. As far as things getting stuck goes, get some papaya enzyme. Works wonders. :)

6. I lost a little tiny bit of hair - completely unnoticeable. But I know some people have lost quite a bit. I think it has to do with where your hair growth cycle is when you have surgery and there's not really any way to tell that before you do it. It will grow back, though. And there are some super cute wigs out there at pretty reasonable prices! I like this place for ordering wigs: https://elevatestyles.com

Hope some of this is helpful! 

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:01 PM, Brattykid said:

Pepto bismol is an NSAID??  When i think of nsaids, I only think of Aleve & Advil...I gotta check my book to see if there is a list somewhere. I should know this by now. So much to watch out for!

The generic name for Pepto-Bismol is Bismuth subsalicylate.  The salicylates are like aspirin which is salicylic acid.

23 hours ago, msmarymac said:

The generic name for Pepto-Bismol is Bismuth subsalicylate.  The salicylates are like aspirin which is salicylic acid.

Thanks @msmarymac I checked my list of medicines to watch out for and it wasn't on my list. Not that I drink a lot of it, but have used it on occasion for upset stomach or diarrhea. I will steer clear now!  :) 

On 11/1/2018 at 4:51 PM, Cardamom77 said:

I'm not quite a year out, but I can share my experience as a less experienced bypass patient. :)

1. I drink coffee. I try to keep it to one or two cups a day. Sometimes I'm having a rough afternoon and drink one in the afternoon, too, though. I do not drink sugary coffee drinks anymore. Did you know there are FIFTY grams of sugar in a grande pumpkin spice latte?!?!?!

2. I do not take any NSAIDs and don't plan to. My sister had surgery about 15 years ago and ignored this advice (and smoked) and had the most horrible ulcers. She had to drink liquid lidocaine before eating to ease the pain in her esophagus. :(

3. I was drinking alcohol about 6 months after surgery. That was probably a little early, but I took it easy and didn't have trouble. However, I have had some medication changes recently and it's inadvisable for me to drink with my current med cocktail, so I abstain. It's fine - I don't miss it. 

4. I do not have dumping syndrome. There are some foods that inexplicably do not sit well in my pouch (oranges, raw kale, iceberg lettuce), but I do not dump. Sometimes if I eat too many carbs at once, I will get sleepy, but that's about it. Early on, I think I did have dumping syndrome, but it's stopped. However, I have never even tried to eat anything with over 20 grams of sugar in it, so I'm not sure if I would dump if I ate a lot of something super sugary. I also have not eaten pasta or rice since surgery. 

5. I have not thrown up at all - not once - since surgery. As far as things getting stuck goes, get some papaya enzyme. Works wonders. :)

6. I lost a little tiny bit of hair - completely unnoticeable. But I know some people have lost quite a bit. I think it has to do with where your hair growth cycle is when you have surgery and there's not really any way to tell that before you do it. It will grow back, though. And there are some super cute wigs out there at pretty reasonable prices! I like this place for ordering wigs: https://elevatestyles.com

Hope some of this is helpful! 

Honestly it sounds like your experience has been great! I am hoping for a similar outcome