Daisygirl

3 and a half weeks PO

Hello! 3.5 weeks out and I feel like I am getting the hang of sipping and my new pouch! I am down 27 pounds since surgery which feels great! My program has me eating several new foods and no restrictions at 6 weeks. I have questions on when/if you were able to eat foods like lettuce or nuts (I am guessing not for sometime)? 

I'm near 18 months post-op and my surgeon cleared me on day 13 to eat anything I was able to tolerate. I was eating nuts very soon after that because they were easy to chew down. I'm not a fan though of eating any uncooked leaves. They don't really chew up and can easily block the opening into my intestine. Apart from that, lettuce in general adds very little by way of nutrition and I'd much rather focus on cooked greens that do. My surgeon made it very clear he didn't really want me to fill my pouch up in the early days with vegetables as in his opinion they take up room he would rather have being used for protien and calcium rich foods. That said, now I'm further out from surgery, I'll have iron rich veggies like baby spinach in almost anything but particularly in omelettes, casseroles etc.

Daisygirl - did your NUT provide you with a Food Plan?  If not, you should ask for one.

Mine did not allow for raw vegetables, fruit or nuts until 12 weeks out.

Like Cinwa, I was not allowed raw veggies and fruits and nuts for at least two months post-op, and because I had a swallowing issue post-op, mine was delayed from there. My surgeon said the suture/staple line is not considered healed for 60 days post op, which means roughage and tough items can still get caught in the healing line and cause problems. However, every person will have different instructions and timelines from their surgeon, and you should've gotten something that hinted at when they feel you can begin eating those things again.