LorettaLynn

Did you plan ahead for work clothes?

For all the professional ladies or gentlemen who have had surgery already, how did you go about making sure you had decent work clothes while dropping the weight?  Did you buy elastic waist bottoms and stretchy tops in advance, or buy things at the thrift store you expected to wear?  I have a few garments that are too tight now, but not enough for a work wardrobe already.  I need to look professional and typically wear dresses.  I’m guessing I won't have a huge amount of energy for late night laundry so would ideally need 5 of whatever I’ll be wearing as I slim down.

I don’t recommend buying ahead.  No telling where or how you will lose weight.  I used a belt until my pants were too large.  Can you go with sweaters and nice pants?  I shopped clearance racks.  They were the same price as our Goodwill.  They usually clearance halfway through the season so there was plenty of time to get a couple months wear out of something.  I still shop clearance; Maurice’s often have 75 percent off clearance making shirts $5-$6.  Kohls if I get a 30 per cent off coupon drops the prices cheap too.  

Also, if you buy new-keep the receipt in the bag.  You may buy something one week just to have it look weird fitting the next.  The receipt will make it easier to take back..  I lost noticeably in my face and chest area first.  My chest dropped 12” by the time I was done.  I was overweight for so long I didn’t have fall back clothes.  The first few months I wore a 3x winter coat.  By spring I hadn’t realized how large it had become on me, lol!

but I recommend not buying clothes thinking they may fit.  You may drop a couple sizes at a time and quickly!

Hi there, this was a concern for me as well.  Once I committed to having the surgery, I started looking for pants that I could use as I went down in size at Goodwill. I started as a size 28/30, so I bought some pants in 26, 24, 22, in neutral colors navy black and grey. As I got closer to size 22, I started looking for 20, 18 and 16’s, again at the goodwill.  Same thing with tops.   I found that I could coordinate different tops and wear my same pair of dress slacks a couple of times during the week.  Consignment shops and goodwill is a great way to have some options without spending a lot of money.  And of course I could shop in my closet, because I kept a lot of my smaller clothes.

As a career dieter pre-WLS (35 years :(), I had a few outfits in different sizes - not much but enough to see me through a couple of months.

But like Khaleesi, when I did hit Goodwill and the like , I made sure to buy a few items in smaller sizes so that I always had something to wear.  And I ordered packs of Hanes (or whatever) undies online in smaller sizes.  Bras and shoes were a problem - those I had to try on at the store.

Definitely go to a local thrift shop. (I really didn’t start for about a month or two post surgery....mostly bc I was “shopping” my own outgrown closet then!) 

I got the majority of my stuff at goodwill and Salvation Army (look for sales too. They have lots of 50% off colors or days etc). I get dress pants in navy, black, brown and grey each size down. I don’t buy too far ahead though. Just a size or two. The shirts are a little more difficult depending on your chest size. Even though I lost a lot of inches in my chest, I still can’t wear button down shirts. To get them big enough not to gap, they are big in my middle section but to get them to fit that they are right on my chest.   I also get tons of dresses. They are slightly more forgiving as you go down. Pants can fall down, dresses can’t!!!  Haha!  But dresses can also hang on you and then be belted so they seem to last longer against your dropping sizes than pants. Either way it is darned exciting to go down so quickly!  I’d get pants that literally would be baggy in two weeks, it was incredible!  I still shop thrift (not going down as fast so they last longer now) and now I go through the tops and just look for labels and pull out only the brands I like. And with all used clothing there is stretching and shrinkage so the label not be exactly what you think it should be. I can wear anything from a small to a large depending on the quality and cut. 

Happy shopping!!!

I plan on wearing a lot of black leggings and tunic type tops on the journey. I figure you can just keep buying leggings in smaller sizes and thankfully tunic tops are super "in" right now so I feel they'd fit for a few sizes. You can wear dressy shoes and nice jewelry to dress this kind of outfit up for work or boots and sweater for more casual. (Thats my plan anyway)

Also as gross as it sounds garage sales have clothes really cheap. I hit up one in my neighborhood which had really expensive stuff in great shape. 

Wrap dresses or jersey knit dresses that you can throw a belt around are great - they hide what you'd like to hide and are flexible about sizes, since you can cinch them tighter and tighter. That said, at some point, you do have to let go and get new ones. Planning ahead is OK to a point, but it's hard to imagine yourself so much smaller so quickly, so don't over-invest in a size you may only be for one month! :)