ChynnaDoll1468

Bypass to Band Revision

I feel like a fish out of water starting the process all over again. Its been 5 years since my initial surgery, I lost 135lbs total which was 45 prior to surgery and 90lbs within the first 3 months after surgery. I literally plateaued 3 months after surgery which was extremely disappointing.  I have regained 35lbs. I'm about to start the protein faze again, I need some protein recommendations. Also if anyone has had this revision how was your adjustment period. 

I sincerely hope that what you really meant was revising from band to bypass! My sister is doing that in a couple of weeks. She had her band removed about 11 weeks ago. Her surgeon will not do the removal and bypass in one surgery...he has a mandatory 13 week minimum after band removal before he'll do bypass surgery.

My revision was probably the best thing I ever did for myself.

No I meant what I wrote bypass to band

I'm sorry you've been struggling ChynnaDoll but I don't know anyone who's had a band over bypass revision.

To help others, this is a good read about it “Band over Bypass". but there's plenty more information if you search that topic.

I'm an out-and-out Syntrax Nectar gal but I only like the shake flavours, not the fruity ones - Cappuccino being my all-time favourite.  With 25g whey protein isolate (8g more protein if made with milk), it can't be beat.

I didn't even know this was a "thing", wow learned something new today!   I hope that this can help you meet your goals, but I have to wonder if there are other things in play as well.  I have no idea of course and don't want to make assumptions based on my own experiences, but are there behavioral issues that need to be addressed?  Emotional eating plays such a big part for most obese people and unless and until that is addressed no surgery or revision will ever be successful.  And I really want your journey to be successful because it is sooooo awesome!!  I wish you the best!

I was aware of band over bypass but admit I'd never do it. Every personal account I've read of people that have had that procedure has been less than encouraging. Apart from the fact that bands alone have major issues and a limited lifespan, the accounts I've read suggest that weightloss is slow and unimpressive in this type of revision....ive read similar accounts regarding the appollo overstitch procedure. I've read Australian bariatric surgeon websites that suggest the excess weightloss associated with band over bypass revisions is only 10-20%!!!!!

If my bypass is ever "broken" I'd rather have it redone than have a band placed. Is your bypass broken.....or did you lose your way? If the latter then you can still work your bypass without adding "stuck" and GERD into a post band life along with the high maintenance and maximum 10 year lifespan of the LAGB.  I had revisional surgery over 30 years after my original surgery, and even though my pouch wasn't intact for many years I was still able to lose weight quite easily....just couldn't keep it there because my metabolism was totally shot by my original surgery. If your surgeon is suggesting this procedure will resolve your current issues, then in your position I'd be ensuring I got a second opinion before having this surgery. Please don't assume I'm anti-revisional surgery as I'm not, I just question the effectiveness of the procedure you're looking to undergo if there is a better alternative. 

Edited by Aussie Bear
Bloody autocorrect!!!!!!