MeadowBlue

Anyone feel like they'd never get a surgery date?

I am in the middle of this absolute sea of doctors appointments and other requirements before I can get approved. I still need to have a colonoscopy, endoscopy, mammogram, blood gas, 37 pages of labs, stress test, chest X ray, more dietitian appointments. I guess Im very lucky I'm only working PT right now because I have NO idea how anyone working FT could ever spend so much time going to doctors appointments (in my case an hour away)

Now they're requiring 2 months of counseling because I said that I sometimes use food for emotional eating. I mean seriously who would be sitting in that chair and honestly say they have a great relationship with food and that they eat really healthy but are somehow 100 pounds overweight. I was trying to be honest and I guess I should have lied :(

In any case I read about all of the success here and I hear stories of how much fun it is to go shopping, how much better people feel...and I'm still just lugging all this weight around feeling so heavy and defeated. I feel like I dont dare dream of being 100 pounds lighter because I have SO many hurdles to jump over and I'm afraid something will go wrong and they won't operate. I guess I just dont get why this particular surgery is quite literally screening you as if you were going on a Mars mission. I've had many other surgeries where there was no screening other than a questionnaire and some labs. I understand screening but wow, this takes it to another level.

I just feel like I have such a huge mountain to climb and I want SO badly to be on the other side. I'm trying to stay positive but I just hate all of the waiting and the running around and stressing over appointments and feeling like this is never going to happen!

Hang in there.

Emotionally, the run-up to WLS can be a difficult time but truly, you have to be in a good place mentally and emotionally before embarking on such a dramatic, life changing journey.  

You did the right thing in being honest about your emotional/stress eating - the counselling will help you understand your triggers and develop coping mechanisms but in the meantime, read all you can about it.  This is a good place to start:  Five Strategies for Overcoming Emotional Eating

11 hours ago, MeadowBlue said:

I am in the middle of this absolute sea of doctors appointments and other requirements before I can get approved. I still need to have a colonoscopy, endoscopy, mammogram, blood gas, 37 pages of labs, stress test, chest X ray, more dietitian appointments. I guess Im very lucky I'm only working PT right now because I have NO idea how anyone working FT could ever spend so much time going to doctors appointments (in my case an hour away)

Now they're requiring 2 months of counseling because I said that I sometimes use food for emotional eating. I mean seriously who would be sitting in that chair and honestly say they have a great relationship with food and that they eat really healthy but are somehow 100 pounds overweight. I was trying to be honest and I guess I should have lied :(

In any case I read about all of the success here and I hear stories of how much fun it is to go shopping, how much better people feel...and I'm still just lugging all this weight around feeling so heavy and defeated. I feel like I dont dare dream of being 100 pounds lighter because I have SO many hurdles to jump over and I'm afraid something will go wrong and they won't operate. I guess I just dont get why this particular surgery is quite literally screening you as if you were going on a Mars mission. I've had many other surgeries where there was no screening other than a questionnaire and some labs. I understand screening but wow, this takes it to another level.

I just feel like I have such a huge mountain to climb and I want SO badly to be on the other side. I'm trying to stay positive but I just hate all of the waiting and the running around and stressing over appointments and feeling like this is never going to happen!

I am sorry you are going through all the waiting, but it is worth it. I had to wait 11 months between the time I went to the seminar, to the time I had the surgery. Hang in there !

It sounds like you're feeling pretty desperate right now! You can get through it, and it won't be easy, but it will be worth it. 

I think doctors are cautious about this surgery because it requires so many mental changes of the patient: we have to think about life differently, deal with problems differently, learn totally new habits and ways of coping, and just basically take on a different lifestyle. That's a big ask, and while everyone will basically lose a bunch of weight immediately afterwards, it takes some serious work to keep it off long-term (I'm just getting to that phase right now). They're making sure you're mentally ready for all that. 

I love your image of the screening being as tough as for a Mars mission! :lol: That cracked me up. 

It'll happen for you. Being patient is so hard when you're looking forward to something this life-changing. Hang in there!