SarahBMelbs

It's done!

Welcome to the losers bench!!  

The first week after surgery can be a bit rough, but it gets a lot better.  Just stick to the diet plan from your surgeon, walk as much as you can, and drink lots of liquids.

We are here to support you. 

Congratulations Sarah!

Congrats and welcome to the losers bench! The nausea should pass soon. Take it easy, rest a bunch, sip sip sip, and walk walk walk :) 

Congratulations and sympathy during this immediate post-op period.... just stay focused on the fluids and the small movements like walking ... you'll feel stronger and better soon. 

That's awesome!  So excited for you!  :) Keep walking, walking, walking, sip, sip, sip! (that's what I hear anyway - sounds like good advice to me!)

Congrats and welcome to the losers bench !!

Thanks all.

Still in hospital. Just been checked on by my surgeon. Looks like I'll be staying in til tomorrow because my nausea isn't subsiding. :(

The nausea does pass. Took a couple of days for me.....not helped by my aversion to hospital smells.....especially the revolting smell of the food they wheel around expecting most patients will eat it. Every day that passes gets just a little bit better, so hang in there and you'll be home before you know it.

11 minutes ago, Aussie Bear said:

The nausea does pass. Took a couple of days for me.....not helped by my aversion to hospital smells.....especially the revolting smell of the food they wheel around expecting most patients will eat it. Every day that passes gets just a little bit better, so hang in there and you'll be home before you know it.

The hospital food is the worst isn't it?! I'm on a floor with all oldies and they are loving it. One fellow called someone to tell them how delicious the fish is in here. :eek::huh:

I laughed so hard my stitches hurt. :P

9 hours ago, SarahBMelbs said:

The hospital food is the worst isn't it?! I'm on a floor with all oldies and they are loving it. One fellow called someone to tell them how delicious the fish is in here. :eek::huh:

I laughed so hard my stitches hurt. :P

Some of the private hospitals aren't so bad food wise, but my surgery was in the public system and their food is just disgusting. I don't even bother to try to eat it, even still just the smell of it nauseates me and as an inpatient you have no escape from that. As a visitor to other people I'll always leave the hospital as soon as the food rounds start.

A bit of a personal question here... did you struggle to pass wind post surgery? Or do number 2's? 

Is it normal to not need to or feel like you don't need to?

3 minutes ago, SarahBMelbs said:

A bit of a personal question here... did you struggle to pass wind post surgery? Or do number 2's? 

I was a little bloated for a few days but that's pretty normal if you've had laparoscopic surgery because carbon dioxide gas is used to fill the belly cavity and to create enough space to see and operate.  

I didn't feel the need for a bowel movement but then I was was on a liquid diet so had nothing of any substance to eliminate.  Do you feel a little blocked?  If you do, try something like Miralax (or cheaper generic polyethylene glycol 3350 like Walmart's Equate ClearLAX and up your fluids as much as you can.

Also - walking will help with trapped wind. 

3 hours ago, cinwa said:

I was a little bloated for a few days but that's pretty normal if you've had laparoscopic surgery because carbon dioxide gas is used to fill the belly cavity and to create enough space to see and operate.  

I didn't feel the need for a bowel movement but then I was was on a liquid diet so had nothing of any substance to eliminate.  Do you feel a little blocked?  If you do, try something like Miralax (or cheaper generic polyethylene glycol 3350 like Walmart's Equate ClearLAX and up your fluids as much as you can.

Also - walking will help with trapped wind. 

Thanks @cinwa. The Doctors and nurses keep asking me if I've passed wind or done number 2's which I haven't. I haven't eaten for 4 days... what would I need to expel?! 

4 hours ago, SarahBMelbs said:

For me walking lots helped the wind situation....we all have some level of gas needing to be moved out. As for bowel movements that was probably close to a week for me post op and I was given weetbix in hospital to eat (obviously to be consumed very wet with milk). A four week liquid pre-op diet didn't leave much waste to have a bowel movement with. My surgeon starts his WLS patients on soft foods at puree texture the day after surgery. By day 13 all food restrictions were lifted with the caveat to only eat what was tolerated by the gut at the time. Once I was out of hospital I added a serve of benefibre to all my protien drinks.....this is something I also did while on my pre-op diet just to give myself enough fibre to keep my digestive system moving along. Be aware that any narcotic pain relief medications will slow down the digestive tract and cause constipation.... They can be a bit of a double edged sword.