Slakkie

4+ years post sleeve

Have not been around in a while and realize that we move on in life but a lot of newbies wonder how things go.  I dropped 100 pounds, most before the surgery then about 40 after.  I had probably a very boring "journey" as they go.  I did lose my gallbladder about 3 years ago probably from the surgery.  I was one of the people who made a lifestyle change before the surgery so I believe my weight loss was more ME then the sleeve.  I digress.

In the years following I was incredibly diligent at first.  I felt so good that I slacked off on my thyroid meds (I was so happy to be off all those BP pills etc I stopped taking my thyroid which was NOT smart) and I stopped exercising.  I started seeing my clothes size creep up and made excuses (too busy, too stressed).  I finally decided to go back to the doctor and get back on thyroid meds.  My doctor had moved to management and my new doctor was young and I was explaining I was walking again but I thought I needed thyroid meds - she told me to go to Weight Watchers. 

So I got a new doctor and also went back to my endocrinologist and got my thyroid meds back in order.  I started making a commitment to walk.and then I had an incident at work and my career fell apart and my blood pressure skyrocketed and they wanted to hospitalize me.  I say all of this for this one sentence I am going to write and hope that everyone reading this - understands this.

I had to put me first.  ME.  That meant no excuses, not explanations - understand that the only person in control of me is me. 

So I committed to walk - while the work crazy was going I used walking to focus on relieving stress.  One foot in front of the other.  I sought counseling for the stress at work.  Then I did the craziest thing ever - I bought a Peloton bike.  I tell everyone the overpriced bike has become my lifeline.  I gained 40 pounds and when I decided to put myself first again and now I am 4 pounds shy of where I was before.  The Peloton has an incredible community of people and is empowering (not trying to be a commercial for it LOL)

SO I come back all these years later and hope that someone reads this and it helps.  A sleeve or bypass is not a magic pill...YOU are your own magic pill.  YOU have the power to change.  I do not diet - I make lifestyle choices and right now I do try to stay deficient so I can lose weight but at the same time I am not hungry.  Throughout this I have learned you have to be a bit selfish.  As a wife, a mother pet serf and employee I always have put myself last - now I put myself first because all those others won't have me if I am not here.

Six months ago if you had told me I would be riding 90 minute live rides with people all over the country and pedaling over 25 miles up and down virtual hills I would tell you thats crazy.  I am still that 51 year old middle aged gal at the top of the bottom third of the leaderboard but as they say any minute off the couch is a better minute then on.  I will end this with a statement someone made that resonated with me.

"Treat your body like it belongs to someone you love."

Edited by Slakkie

Thank you so very much for sharing your weight loss surgery journey. Your success is an inspiration to us all.

I totally agree with you that long term success after weight loss surgery is based primarily on making healthy lifestyle choices and being a bit selfish. 

Although I do not exercise in any formal way, I try very hard to lead an active lifestyle and take long walks almost every day. 

It's always good to see someone further out share their journey Slakkie and your post did not disappoint.

Kudos to you for putting your house in order and focusing your needs because ultimately everyone will benefit from the healthier (both mentally and physically) you.  I was given a fridge magnet many years ago and it basically said words to the effect that the problem with putting others first is that you've taught them that you come second.

In my world, setting aside an hour or so every day to do something good for me isn't selfish.   

Thanks for your wise words :) I'm so happy to hear that you've found a way to make your life work for you - putting oneself first does not come easy for many people (and way too easy for others!!), but it sounds like you've made some great decisions and are seeing the success that comes with those. 

Love this post <3  Thank you for sharing! :)